If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDL Studio 10 speakers & NAD 320BEE amp

Options
  • 17-07-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

yo,

i bought the above speakers and amp from RS a few years ago - as an entry-level hi-fi enthusiast i was very impressed and well happy for a long time...
    however, when i raise or lower the volume i hear a distortion in the sound. the hissing sound is less apparent when the source is from the cd player. the sound doesn't occur over a silent audio track. funnily enough, it seems the hiss is prominent in the left channel...
    as a novice i appreciate any and all comments or advice, however simple it may seem to you!

many thanks,
    mb

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Raven,

sounds like a very strange problem!

does the distortion only come in when you are actually turning up or down the amp?? If so it may be a dusty or worn pot (potentionmeter/volume control)

In any case you can leave it into John O Callaghan, our engineer who is based in The Philips Shop in Dublin and who luckily is the only appointed service agent for both NAD AND TDL in Ireland - how much better can you get ( Oh okay it would be better if it worked fine)

Drop me a post with any other details or give me a shout if you can drop it into John O and I'll tell him you are coming..

Keep me posted..

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

thanks for the quick response john!

yeah the distortion only occurs while turning the volume up or down. it gets worse when there's a bit of bass playing...

unfortunately i can't go beyond trying to sort the problem myself: i live in galway, moved away from dublin last year!

thanks again,
    matt

the raven wrote: »
    thanks for the quick response john!

yeah the distortion only occurs while turning the volume up or down. it gets worse when there's a bit of bass playing...

unfortunately i can't go beyond trying to sort the problem myself: i live in galway, moved away from dublin last year!

thanks again,
    matt

Raven,

Thanks for the reply - yep I'm pretty sure (not positive tho') that it is a pot with dirt in it - if the problem only arises when you are turning the volume up & down it sounds like that may be it - I know that the distortion that this can make is sometimes really loud and can actually damage speakers!

MAKE SURE THE AMP IS COMPLETELY PLUGGED OUT WHEN YOU DO THIS!

What I would do in the 1st instance is to pop along to Maplins (there is one in Galway) http://www.maplin.co.uk/Stores.aspx?QueryZenStoreID=91&DOY=search and get an spray switch cleaner and give the volume pot a good spray out (you will have to take the Plastic cover off the volume control) - you may have to open the cover of the amp if a frontal clean does not work (it normally does not) http://www.streettech.com/archives_DIY/potCleaning.html have a look at this link - make sure that as soon as you spray the pot you work it vigorously from side to side!

Again if this does not work ( I guess it will) post it up to us in The Philips Shop in Dublin and JohnO the Nad Guru will get it sorted for you,

Oh and don't forget to plug the amp out when you are working on it!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

johnmc wrote: »
    Raven,

Thanks for the reply - yep I'm pretty sure (not positive tho') that it is a pot with dirt in it - if the problem only arises when you are turning the volume up & down it sounds like that may be it - I know that the distortion that this can make is sometimes really loud and can actually damage speakers!

What I would do in the 1st instance is to pop along to Maplins (there is one in Galway) http://www.maplin.co.uk/Stores.aspx?QueryZenStoreID=91&DOY=search and get an spray switch cleaner and give the volume pot a good spray out (you will have to take the Plastic cover off the volume control) - you may have to open the cover of the amp if a frontal clean does not work (it normally does not) http://www.streettech.com/archives_DIY/potCleaning.html have a look at this link - make sure that as soon as you spray the pot you work it vigorously from side to side!

Again if this does not work ( I guess it will) post it up to us in The Philips Shop in Dublin and JohnO the Nad Guru will get it sorted for you,

Oh and don't forget to plug the amp out when you are working on it!

ATB,

John Mc

i'm guessing i have to plug out the amp for this job yeah? ;)

cool enough, thanks a mil for the advice, i'll give it a go...

Fantastic!! worked perfectly! thanks a mil john!!
    makes a huge difference!:D:D:D

• Advertisement

No problem Raven,

Glad that worked - it's a common enough fault with older stereo amps & receivers and normally easily repaired - but some people are afraid to attempt it!

Great to be of service and please drop us a line if we can assist in any way again,

ATB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.