Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evo stream and discussion.

• 17-07-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

The stream can be found here,seems pretty good,hopefully that doesn't change with more people watching after the pool stages.

The Friday and Saturday schedule is listed on the evo site,remember all times are -7 hours for Nevada.

Here's the Sunday schedule,where things will be very interesting:

9:00 10:30 Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike 2on2 - Finals (top 8)
    10:30 12:00 Guilty Gear XX:Accent Core - Finals (top 8)
    12:00 12:15 Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion Tournament Finals (top 2)
    12:15 1:30 Soul Calibur IV - Finals (top 8)
    1:30 2:00 Combo Video Exhibition
    2:00 3:30 Marvel vs. Capcom II - Finals (top 8)
    3:30 4:00 The Dog Face Show: Live!
    4:00 5:00 One Hour Dinner Break
    5:00 5:15 Blazblue Exhibition Tournament Finals (top 2)
    5:15 6:45 SSFIIT: HDR - Finals (top 8)
    6:45 7:00 Special Words from Ono-san
    7:00 9:30 Street Fighter IV - Finals (top 8)

Again,-7 hours on all those times.

My personal highlights will be the HD Remix finals and Cigarbobs arcade ST team tourney(which,unfortunately wont be streamed live) and of course the SFIV finals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I want to see what the Americans can bring for T6: BR.

Just saw the Devastation 2009 finals and they were hot sh!t indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'm live at evo right now.. gootecks asked to leave, gooteks threw hrap3 against wall after losing to valle.... lost a $100 money bet before losing to valle.. lost his cool and raged.. that is latest

lmao

edit: Apparently this might not be true, but he also lost to a pad Fei Long player apparently so still lmao :pac:

edit 2: just lost a match or something I think he beat that guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Small correction: they're actually 8 hours behind. Rest of Nevada is 7 hours behind but Las Vegas is -8.

About Gootecks - I heard he beat the Fei Long player 2-1 2-1. It seems a lot of what's being said about this is just chat room trolling, though.

Apparently a few minutes ago a pad player picked Dan against Daigo. I would have loved to see how that match went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yeah I was watching the Fei Long matchup and he won. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1823112

ATL Red vs Gootecks starts at about 56 minutes.

EDIT: No post-match drama, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

"Attention: We're experiencing technical difficulies with the tournament station feeding our live stream. We will have the stream back up as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience! "

And what if I'm not being patient?!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Anyone watching it? I wish I was there, instead. Insane, the amount of hype. Sick matches everywhere. May pick up this game just to have an ostensible reason to go next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

been watching it since i got home from XGC. Been some great matches. That Marn fellow felt up arturo which was hilarious :p. apparently they had alot of money on the match.....

Kirby wrote: »
    been watching it since i got home from XGC. Been some great matches. That Marn fellow felt up arturo which was hilarious :p. apparently they had alot of money on the match.....

Yeah, I admire Arturo's restraint. I don't know which commentator said that Marn was nervous after the second game, because it was the exact opposite. Arturo looked really nervous, even though Marn just edged it in the second round.

Enjoyed, as always, Daigo's Ryu and Ed Ma's Akuma. Both sick and intelligent players with awesome characters, and I hope they stay in the tournament; so I can see more of them tomorrow. I don't see anyone beating Daigo, or beating Daigo if/when the number of rounds go up for matches.

Carried on as far I can. I want to stay up for the 5v5 exhibition...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Despite the video fail, it's great to have some sort of stream for these tourneys.

The 5 v 5 today showed that East Coast US are pretty tough nuts in competition, saying that, the guy using Sakura was pretty decent and makes me wanna give more time to Sakura!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Justin Wongs team just won the 3S finals,guilty gear finals up next.

Will these commentators stop saying that Ed Ma's nervous?

Daigo to win against Wong.

Good call!That was a great match(Wong/Daigo),very tense,love the footsies.

blag wrote: »
    Good call!That was a great match(Wong/Daigo),very tense,love the footsies.
    Yeah, great match. Very tense in the end.

Ed Ma and Daigo should be good. I'd like to give Ed Ma the nod and not go for the obvious, but I can't see Daigo losing against Ed. Hope Dan advances: I'm all for more Ryu match-ups.

Edit: Dan got dumped.

Wow,Sanford rushed Dan flawlessly,that was very impressive,I'm kinda thinking of learning Cammy properly,she's a real rushdown character,something I miss with SF4 Bison.

Sanfords Cammy ripped Dan's Ryu up. That was THE best match of the finals so far. Totally out thought him. So happy for the console character. I'm with ya blag, Im hopping on the cammy train too! :D

THIS FINAL IS AMAZING! Wong just took the first set to reset it, after suprising Daigo with Boxer. Epic stuff so far. Here we go with the 2nd set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Amazing final.

Daigo really turned it up after Wong reset it.

That could not have been any better,Daigos reactions and FADC to Ultra execution is ridiculous.I'm glad Daigo won,Justin is a great player but he let chances slip and Daigo was ruthless.

The stream was ****e on my end, still a great finals though. Not exactly surprising (apart from the move to Rog), but very fun to watch.

• Advertisement

blag wrote: »
    That could not have been any better,Daigos reactions and FADC to Ultra execution is ridiculous.I'm glad Daigo won,Justin is a great player but he let chances slip and Daigo was ruthless.

Dunno man, Im not a big fan of wong for various reasons......but imo he deserved to win that. He completely flumoxed daigo with that balrog. Thats like Wong's third character so im not surprised he messed one or two things up, but overall very impressive play from the pair of them. Its worth noting that it took Daigo about 7 matches to figure Wong out there. That is the FIRST time thats happened. Daigo has had wong in his pocket for a long time, so its nice to see that.

great final, down to the wire. And I'm glad they shook hands in the end.

Brilliant match I didn't think Wong had it in him to overcome the mental obstacle to beat Daigo, but he did, and unfortunately it was a stretch too far to beat him twice. Credit to both because I don't think I've seen a competitive gaming match with that amount of spectators interested and participating. The pressure looked back-breaking, and extra credit should go to Daigo for bearing much of it against the momentum of Wong's Balrog and against a large USA crowd cheering on Wong's every move.

Both players showed good respect for each other, except for Wong's usual crowd service but that's to be expected. The way the crowd reacted when he reset the game I was scared to see what would happen if he actually won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Was the live stream really choppy. Im just getting round to watching the recorded streams and its really choppy.

Well, guess it's time to buy some EVO DVDs.

Yeah bush, for me it was freezing every 15-20 seconds for about 10 seconds as well. Was talking to someone in the US who had it just as choppy but without the freezes.

bush wrote: »
    Was the live stream really choppy. Im just getting round to watching the recorded streams and its really choppy.

It was a little choppy for me but I had no freeze at all,the choppiness didn't spoil it or anything,overall I thought the stream was really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Stream was choppy for me when I tuned in but then again, there were 10,000 viewers hitting up the stream (and that was well before some of the bigger finals!).

Only thing that bothers me is that Evo site brackets aren't updated - they did a great job on Day 1......and then just forgot about it!

🤪

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well, guess it's time to buy some EVO DVDs.

There are no evo DVDs this year,all the footage is going on IGN Insider,which apparantly will have HD quality downloads.I think it's around $15 to sign up,might just be worth it.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer the dvd tbh. I think its a shame they are trying to gouge people by teaming up with IGN to get people into a subscription service they don't want. :rolleyes: Probably better off watching the matches for free off various websites.

Regarding the free stream, it was pretty awful. Was freezing all weekend but when the final came on, it stopped freezing for me which was great. Still low fps tho, which was a shame. But you could tell what was going on.

But the HD content means you'll get higher quality video for cheaper than buying the DVDs, even if you don't use the IGN thing for anything else than watching those videos.

edit: Just checked, it's only 8 dollars for a 3 month subscription. Probably a lot less hassle for the Evo guys than making up DVDs as well.

edit 2: Interview with Daigo here. He pretty much says that America is starting to close the skill gap between them and Japan, and also that Wong's Balrog outclasses any of the Japanese players'. Pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Just watching the finals there now. Nice to see a lot of Akumas getting close to the finals. Hopefully will be able to get those matches in HD to get some tips.

That final was amazing. Wong lost his head though getting up mid-round to showboat, losing out on his chance at a start up charge, and ultimately losing that match which could of tipped the game in his favour. When you watch the two, Wong is spending so much time losing his cool and jumping up and down I wasn't surprised he lost, premature celebration will always cause you to lose your focus.

Where as Daigo barely moves an inch the whole match, not even turning his head to look at what Wong was doing in most cases, and you can see the result of this, over a few rounds he works out Wongs tactics and destroys him. I'd say, given another half hour Wong wouldn't even be winning 1 round. Diago showed he could adapt quickly under pressure, but Wong got cocky and I think, ultimately, it cost him the game.

I think Wong had Daigo on the ropes at the start of that match, but by losing his concentration way too often he gave Diago the time to figure him out.

Justin's won plenty of tournaments doing that showboating hyping up the crowd stuff, I don't think that's why he lost really. Probably didn't help though, doesn't look like Daigo is the sort to be even slightly fazed by that stuff.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    doesn't look like Daigo is the sort to be even slightly fazed by that stuff.

That's kind of the point. It's probably worked in the past to throw off his opponents concentration, or even to get them angry (I know it would distract me if someone was celebrating before the game had ended) but Diago didn't even flinch. The commentators where even saying it, celebrating prematurely can kill your adrenalin high. Also, walking away from the game mid match was just stupid.

I think it was great that Daigo didn't punish him at the start of the round :p Wong was a second late getting back to his stick and its possible Daigo could've hit him.

Anyway, was great stuff. Wong will practice his balrog and Abel for next time. Daigo will be a little more prepared tho so I wouldn't be surprised to see another pick from wong too..... not sagat tho as Daigo has so much experience in that matchup it would be stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

I thought Daigo played a really boring Ryu tbh. Overall I did not think the final was as entertaining as I had hoped. Although I suppose the game hasn't been out that long. You know its bad when you are amused more but the off screen antics lol.

Dunno man, I found it fairly gripping. Compare it to the match in april where Daigo just walked all over Justin. Much more entertaining this time. Its easy to say Daigo didn't play well or played boring, but Justin forced him into that.

Dunno man, I found it fairly gripping. Compare it to the match in april where Daigo just walked all over Justin. Much more entertaining this time. Its easy to say Daigo didn't play well or played boring, but Justin forced him into that.

I prefered the Gamestop Final! It was much better than sitting watching two guys turtle.

mr_kyle wrote: »
    sitting watching two guys turtle

Street Fighter 4 :pac:

I'm probably no the one to talk to about that :D, I play Dhalsim, I think zoning is an art. Anybody can learn a few combo's, it takes class to keep an opponent out. Rushdown "gods" like Poongko getting comprehensively stuffed by better players who look like they aren't doing anything fancy.

Look at the way john choi plays Street fighter 4. It looks like nothing at all, nothing fancy, no 12 hit combo's and focus cancelling.....but he beats most of them making it look so simple. Gotta love that :p One mans Turtle is another mans Zone.

• Advertisement

Just watched the Sanford Cammy vid. I need that in good quality. What a match. Reminds of why I play Cammy, pity I'm pretty **** at rush down.

Choi is a ST player that is where his skill in SFIV comes from. It also takes class to set up a situation to use a combo! But you are certainly right about how subjective it can all be.

not sagat tho as Daigo has so much experience in that matchup it would be stupid.

interesting to see there wasn't 1 Seth or Sagat in the entire tournament. I think anyone picking Sagat in his current state would get booed by the crowd though, or receive constant volleys of "tigertigertiger..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbCoPI4HoLs - An awesome video showing the crowd reaction to Justin evening the matches up... you don't get crowd reactions like that in any other sort of Western progaming event, one of the things that makes stuff like Evo awesome.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    interesting to see there wasn't 1 Seth or Sagat in the entire tournament. I think anyone picking Sagat in his current state would get booed by the crowd though, or receive constant volleys of "tigertigertiger..."

Um there was two seth's. Arturo Sanchez picked Seth against Marns Rufus if I remember correctly. There was another one aswell. And them two were the televised ones, there coulda been more in the pools. And there was plenty of Sagats.

And there was plenty of Sagats.

I was going on what the commentators where saying. Maybe they meant there where no Sagats or Seths being picked in the matches coming up to the finals.

Yeah I mean the field for SF4 was HUGE this year, and tbh I'm sure if Mago had made the trip, a Sagat would've been top 8. :pac:

Yeh, no Sagat or Seth in the final 8, but there were plenty in the last 32

Well, having seen Jwong's Abel... yeah, switching back to Abel.
    Now I just need to work on my VS 'Gief gameplan...

Good vid of the support Justin Wong had behind him at this year's Evo. Judging by how crazy they went when he turned the final around I imagine they would have had a full scale riot if he won.

• Advertisement
Advertisement