Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evo stream and discussion.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

But the HD content means you'll get higher quality video for cheaper than buying the DVDs, even if you don't use the IGN thing for anything else than watching those videos.

edit: Just checked, it's only 8 dollars for a 3 month subscription. Probably a lot less hassle for the Evo guys than making up DVDs as well.

edit 2: Interview with Daigo here. He pretty much says that America is starting to close the skill gap between them and Japan, and also that Wong's Balrog outclasses any of the Japanese players'. Pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Just watching the finals there now. Nice to see a lot of Akumas getting close to the finals. Hopefully will be able to get those matches in HD to get some tips.

That final was amazing. Wong lost his head though getting up mid-round to showboat, losing out on his chance at a start up charge, and ultimately losing that match which could of tipped the game in his favour. When you watch the two, Wong is spending so much time losing his cool and jumping up and down I wasn't surprised he lost, premature celebration will always cause you to lose your focus.

Where as Daigo barely moves an inch the whole match, not even turning his head to look at what Wong was doing in most cases, and you can see the result of this, over a few rounds he works out Wongs tactics and destroys him. I'd say, given another half hour Wong wouldn't even be winning 1 round. Diago showed he could adapt quickly under pressure, but Wong got cocky and I think, ultimately, it cost him the game.

I think Wong had Daigo on the ropes at the start of that match, but by losing his concentration way too often he gave Diago the time to figure him out.

Justin's won plenty of tournaments doing that showboating hyping up the crowd stuff, I don't think that's why he lost really. Probably didn't help though, doesn't look like Daigo is the sort to be even slightly fazed by that stuff.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    doesn't look like Daigo is the sort to be even slightly fazed by that stuff.

That's kind of the point. It's probably worked in the past to throw off his opponents concentration, or even to get them angry (I know it would distract me if someone was celebrating before the game had ended) but Diago didn't even flinch. The commentators where even saying it, celebrating prematurely can kill your adrenalin high. Also, walking away from the game mid match was just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think it was great that Daigo didn't punish him at the start of the round :p Wong was a second late getting back to his stick and its possible Daigo could've hit him.

Anyway, was great stuff. Wong will practice his balrog and Abel for next time. Daigo will be a little more prepared tho so I wouldn't be surprised to see another pick from wong too..... not sagat tho as Daigo has so much experience in that matchup it would be stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

I thought Daigo played a really boring Ryu tbh. Overall I did not think the final was as entertaining as I had hoped. Although I suppose the game hasn't been out that long. You know its bad when you are amused more but the off screen antics lol.

Dunno man, I found it fairly gripping. Compare it to the match in april where Daigo just walked all over Justin. Much more entertaining this time. Its easy to say Daigo didn't play well or played boring, but Justin forced him into that.

Kirby wrote: »
    Dunno man, I found it fairly gripping. Compare it to the match in april where Daigo just walked all over Justin. Much more entertaining this time. Its easy to say Daigo didn't play well or played boring, but Justin forced him into that.

I prefered the Gamestop Final! It was much better than sitting watching two guys turtle.

mr_kyle wrote: »
    sitting watching two guys turtle

Street Fighter 4 :pac:

I'm probably no the one to talk to about that :D, I play Dhalsim, I think zoning is an art. Anybody can learn a few combo's, it takes class to keep an opponent out. Rushdown "gods" like Poongko getting comprehensively stuffed by better players who look like they aren't doing anything fancy.

Look at the way john choi plays Street fighter 4. It looks like nothing at all, nothing fancy, no 12 hit combo's and focus cancelling.....but he beats most of them making it look so simple. Gotta love that :p One mans Turtle is another mans Zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Just watched the Sanford Cammy vid. I need that in good quality. What a match. Reminds of why I play Cammy, pity I'm pretty **** at rush down.

Choi is a ST player that is where his skill in SFIV comes from. It also takes class to set up a situation to use a combo! But you are certainly right about how subjective it can all be.

not sagat tho as Daigo has so much experience in that matchup it would be stupid.

interesting to see there wasn't 1 Seth or Sagat in the entire tournament. I think anyone picking Sagat in his current state would get booed by the crowd though, or receive constant volleys of "tigertigertiger..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbCoPI4HoLs - An awesome video showing the crowd reaction to Justin evening the matches up... you don't get crowd reactions like that in any other sort of Western progaming event, one of the things that makes stuff like Evo awesome.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    interesting to see there wasn't 1 Seth or Sagat in the entire tournament. I think anyone picking Sagat in his current state would get booed by the crowd though, or receive constant volleys of "tigertigertiger..."

Um there was two seth's. Arturo Sanchez picked Seth against Marns Rufus if I remember correctly. There was another one aswell. And them two were the televised ones, there coulda been more in the pools. And there was plenty of Sagats.

And there was plenty of Sagats.

I was going on what the commentators where saying. Maybe they meant there where no Sagats or Seths being picked in the matches coming up to the finals.

Yeah I mean the field for SF4 was HUGE this year, and tbh I'm sure if Mago had made the trip, a Sagat would've been top 8. :pac:

Yeh, no Sagat or Seth in the final 8, but there were plenty in the last 32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, having seen Jwong's Abel... yeah, switching back to Abel.
    Now I just need to work on my VS 'Gief gameplan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Good vid of the support Justin Wong had behind him at this year's Evo. Judging by how crazy they went when he turned the final around I imagine they would have had a full scale riot if he won.

• Advertisement
Advertisement