Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

communications and public relations

• 17-07-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi guys!
    I'm from galway and i'm considering starting the communications and pr course at carlow it in september, just wondering if any of you are on this course or have completed it? What did you think of it? What are the hours like? Is there a lot of material etc.

And Carlow IT as a whole; are the facilities good? is it a safe, student-friendly town? and your recommendations on student accommodation?

First time away from galway so your help would be much appreciated!

cheers! xxx:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gosimeon

Hey. I'm going into my final year of this course in September and would definately recommend it. Whilst not heay on the hours (around 20 lecture hours per week) you are kept busy with practical projects and continious assessment work.

The course has a broad range, and will give you a good grounding in subjects like public affairs and marketing. In second year, you study a pretty thorough Law module. With regards to materials - you rarely have to buy a book. Lecture notes are online, and the Library has a section dedicated to PR.

Carlow is a fun place to go college. It's not a city, and lacks thing a city has, but sometimes it the "small town" aspect that makes it a good place to go college. You're bound to have fun here. And yeah, it's safe enough too, same as most Irish towns.

Check out the college website for a full listing of accomodation options, they list most places that are available to students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 flairy-fairy

thanks so much for your info...been a big help!

nearly sure i will be doing it so its great to hear a first-hand opinion of it!!

thanks again

xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭sallysaucer

I have completed the course. Graduated in 2008!!

At the moment there are no jobs available so be prepared to do a lot of unpaid work or interships!!!

Its a hard industry to break into so every oportunity you get to do something even closly related to PR or Communications go for it

There is only so much they can teach you in college!!!

Have fun thought its a great course!!

Congrats on graduating...

got my cao offer on mon and accepted it 2day so looks like im headin 2 carlow

now theres the accommodation side of things...that'll be fun... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Flairy-Fairy, accomodation won't necessarily be a problem. Location & distance from the college might although there's accomodation in likes of Sothern Gardens & College Gardens & Tyndall Court aplenty all within spitting-distance of the Best College in Whole of Ireland (as voted for by me since I went there!).
    That course you mentioned.....how many years is it for?
    What subjects is involved?
    I'm thinking of applying to the college directly as i'm one of the 350k curently in-between jobs & there's some class of a certain amount of free places.

• Advertisement

Hiya! hehe best college in the country?? thats better than anything they mention on the website...:pac:

the course is for three years afaik...modules include intro to pr, intro to communications, i.t some social studies and i think theres some law in 2nd year...

thanks for all the help regardin accommodation btw...very helpful.. but wats all this negative publicity ive been hearin about carraig amhainn?

oh and best of luck with watever u decide to do!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

LOVED going to college there. It's great FUN to do that course anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emiliee

can you do electives with this course?

cao is closing in 13 days and I STILL don't know what to do ahhhhhhh

Advertisement