Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance

• 17-07-2009 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey Guy's
    Anyone got any recommendations for camera insurance? I just got me new D700 and a couple of new lenes and stuff, nearly half afraid of taking it out, i need commercial insurance i think as i bought the gear through me company,

Any direction welcome.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Is commercial insurance not only necessary if you're using it for commercial purposes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I'd be interested in insuring my 5D kit too. It's just for personal use. I will be at Electric Picnic in a few weeks camping and was hoping to keep all my stuff in the boot of the car when I want to relax and have a few beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Burago wrote: »
    Not wanting to hijack the thread but I'd be interested in insuring my 5D kit too. It's just for personal use. I will be at Electric Picnic in a few weeks camping and was hoping to keep all my stuff in the boot of the car when I want to relax and have a few beers.
    Call your home insurance provider and tell them you'd like to add items to your specified contents. Give them the full breakdown and receipts, iirc it'll cost roughly E10-15 per E1,000 worth of gear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Aaduki in the UK do photography insurance for Ireland now as well. I used them and it cost €290 for PL up to €6.5M and €15K worth of gear. It covers you all over the world (bar the USA for some reason!)

There is a €300 excess on the policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If you check the forums services wanted/offered thread you will find a posting by one of the forum members which you may wish to follow up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 InFrame

Hi, I put my camera + lens (worth €1,400) on the home insurance (with FBD). It cost only €3.50 for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I recommend Steve from Photoshield, I have my insurance through them, its quick and easy with immediate cover and monthly installments.

This is not an advertisement.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If your camera is for private use (hobby, no earning) then put it on your home insurance.

If you earn anything from your photography, then you need commercial insurance.

I use Steve, at Photo-Shield. Brilliant price and great service. A pleasure to deal with. I did shop around, and found that they offer the best rate (that I found at the time) for gear insurance, public liability insurance, and professional indemnity, all of which you'll need for commercial work

If you contact them, feel free to mention my name as a reference, if you need.

Phone: 0044 1775 716690
    Email: photo-shield@winsoverhowden.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

another web site

Heritage Insurance Group.

Ashpine House | 5 Slaney Court | Dublin Industrial Estate | Glasnevin | Dublin 11.

Phone 01 899 7108
    Fax 01 882 7842
    Web www.hig.ie

I used them as I am renting and have housemates - so could get no home insurance! Found their link on boards a few weeks back.

1st option and a lot cheaper from my search is add it on to your home insurance if for private use. (didnt try photo shiled as they don't do online quotes for Ireland and my head was melted looking at that point)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

pawrick wrote: »
    I used them as I am renting and have housemates - so could get no home insurance!

I don't see why you couldn't get contents only home insurance. That's what I have for my home (it's an apt, so I don't need building insurance). It's also what I used to insure my gear before I started to earn.

You should contact PhotoShield, and compare what you're currently paying to what they offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Like wise, I've put all my gear on the home insurance and have "All Risks" cover. So if it were to stolen from the boot of the car, it is still covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

kgpixels wrote: »
    Like wise, I've put all my gear on the home insurance and have "All Risks" cover. So if it were to stolen from the boot of the car, it is still covered.

Be very careful about this. I too had All Risks with Quinn Direct. I dropped my camera a while back at home and rang them up. Turns out on page 20 of my policy, "it's there in black and white sir", I was told that if I was transporting the item then it wasn't covered!! I've since cancelled a couple of thousand euro of insurance for loads of different things from them!
    So, in your case, if the car was unattended then it probably wont' be covered. They hve every likelehood covered so they don't have to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Ballyman wrote: »
    Be very careful about this. I too had All Risks with Quinn Direct. I dropped my camera a while back at home and rang them up. Turns out on page 20 of my policy, "it's there in black and white sir", I was told that if I was transporting the item then it wasn't covered!! I've since cancelled a couple of thousand euro of insurance for loads of different things from them!
    So, in your case, if the car was unattended then it probably wont' be covered. They hve every likelehood covered so they don't have to pay out.

S**t, I just switched to Quinn from FBD for the cam insurance. Don't remember getting a 20 page doc of them. But will request it.
    Thanks for the heads up Ballybay.

of the companies I called none would cover contents in a shared apartment where the other person was not my other half but thanks anyhow must have rang the wrong people!

is there anyway to creating a sticky with just insurance links as this seems to pop up every now and then (would also be good then for people to post experiences afterwards)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

pawrick wrote: »
    is there anyway to creating a sticky with just insurance links as this seems to pop up every now and then (would also be good then for people to post experiences afterwards)

If we had a Sticky for everything that came up now and then, we would have a page full of Stickies.

There is a Search button which works quite well.

CabanSail wrote: »
    If we had a Sticky for everything that came up now and then, we would have a page full of Stickies.

There is a Search button which works quite well.

I used that when doing my search - the topics were disjointed and went off topic (like this) adding it to one of the stickys like the getting started one would make sense in my opinion. fair enough on not an individual sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

I tried photo-shield, due to advice from various people here, but they refused to insure my equipment because it wasn't worth enough :rolleyes: :cool:, this was when I started out and I only had the one body and lens.

I went with aaduki in the end, they are brilliant, I pay monthly, straight from my account, and works out great, couldn't be more professional and easy, definitely recommended ! ! ! !

Advertisement