Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What if the Driving Test was Private

• 17-07-2009 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Lets say the government hand the driving test over to a private company!

What would you like to see change?

I think:

Waiting times down to 4 weeks only no less or more.
    Price to go to 90 euro for category A,M,B,W but if you fail, 2nd and subsequent tests 45 euro.
    Compulsory lessons with RSA-ADI Instructors which would include basic maintenance course.

What do you think? what is your opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Lets say the government hand the driving test over to a private company!

What would you like to see change?

I think:

Waiting times down to 4 weeks only no less or more.
    Price to go to 90 euro for category A,M,B,W but if you fail, 2nd and subsequent tests 45 euro.
    Compulsory lessons with RSA-ADI Instructors which would include basic maintenance course.

What do you think? what is your opinion?

I think what would happen is that tests would be conducted in a more professional manner.

I know in other posts you've been less than complimentary to SGS regarding the quality of drivers who passed their test, and there probably is a general feeling out there that anyone who turned up for a test with SGS passed 1st time.
    However in reality, the pass rate in Tallaght from July to December last year was 56%, at the moment the RSA pass rate is 59%. And I know of other centres where the SGS rates were almost identical and sometimes even lower than those of the RSA.
    In addition, all SGS testers had to undergo a 6 week training course conducted by senior RSA testers, and had to pass the same test as RSA testers before being allowed to test. Rarely a week went by without supervisors from the RSA turning up at SGS test centres and spending a full day going out on tests to ensure that they were being carried out correctly.
    While the above may be slightly off topic I think it's useful to set the record straight for those who still believe that everyone who went to SGS passed their test.
    Notwithstanding the above, it is true that many individuals who passed their test with SGS would probably not have done so with the RSA. Not because they were terrible drivers, but because they were treated with a bit of respect and courtesy.
    More than anything else I think this would be reason enough to introduce private testing.
    On the cost of tests I'm not sure that if SGS or another company took over testing, it would automatically lead to an increase in fees. It's true that it costs the RSA about €125 per test, however they're testers were paid approx 50% more than SGS testers for carrying out about 50% fewer tests.
    A leaked email from the RSA last year confirmed that each RSA tester averaged 25 tests per week. SGS testers undertook 47!

Advertisement