Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis Rant

Options
  • 17-07-2009 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi everone,

so how is everyones thesis coming along? I said Id set this up, people give advice, give out etc. Mine is due in 2 weeks , have loads to do yet and am really worried about it!! Everytime I do something I think I gt no where :( how is everyone else feeling??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yes, I can relate to that. Mine is due in September and I should write, write, and write, but find it really difficult.

However, even if you "only" manage to get a paragraph down one day and do some graphs, tables etc the other you will get there. At least something is down on paper and it helps towards the end product.

I did/do procrastinate but because it is so close I just drag myself back to the computer. At this stage I absolutely hate my thesis and research, don't want to see it again, read it again or think about it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

lol, I'm feelin your pain......have to submit mine by the end of August as its an entry requirement for an MSc, but its two steps forward, one step back. Like the mod said, my aim is to at least do a couple of pages a day and it soon adds up. Spent the last week or so trying to figure out how to structure the next chapter and procrastinated lots! :eek: Can't really afford to waste a day though.
    Wish there'd been a thread like this a few months ago. Coulda done with a rant then :D Though, nows a good time too.

What kinda stuff you guys researching?

Hiya max,

procrastination is a bitch. Creeps up on you... :(

Coming to the end of my PhD research in Life Science/Medical Science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭corkkaz

whoo , glad people are responding :)

mines on accountants work life balance. Its riveting stuff lol. I'm sick of it and Im just provcastinating the whole time. 2 weeks left and I am freaking out!

I cannnot wait for 31st of July - then its over.

Preusse wrote: »
    Hiya max,

procrastination is a bitch. Creeps up on you... :(

Coming to the end of my PhD research in Life Science/Medical Science.

PHD, wow fair play to ya. mines a masters

• Advertisement

corkkaz wrote: »
    PHD, wow fair play to ya. mines a masters

Ah no, took my over 6 years. And you still don't know if you gonna get it until after the viva. Best of luck with the writing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The best advice I got while writing mine, was to make out a plan, with deliverables.

Say by week 1, you will have this section, week 2 that, week 3 this chapter, and so on.

I was (and still am) a terrible procrastinator, but I found a week-by-week plan spurred me into action when I felt I was falling behind.

Free your mind and your ass will follow guys, lol. I wonder has anyone written a self help book for us poor sods researching stuff.
    Mines on organisational performance management btw.....pretty topical in my field, but I'm only doing it for the letters after my name.
    Preusse, mind me asking, when a uni quotes fees of say €4k for a Phd, does this mean every year you study? Seems to me, a Phd can end up being pretty expensive, especially if ya do it part-time over say, six odd years.
    I'm considering doing one after my MSc and the dept where I'm doing my current research masters has said they'd welcome this, but I may come to my senses! lol

Personally, I found getting into a rythmn helpful. I'm taking a year out to do my masters and I exercise or do my own stuff in the a.m., then write up my thesis in the afternoon, till I've done at least a few pages, or as much as I feel I can do that day. Structure and habit seems important - something I'll be studying next year in Occupational Psychology :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Given that students have contact with their supervisors during the writing of a thesis, is it easier for a student to predict their probable grade than in a standard essay-submission procedure?

• Advertisement

Max001 wrote: »

Preusse, mind me asking, when a uni quotes fees of say €4k for a Phd, does this mean every year you study? Seems to me, a Phd can end up being pretty expensive, especially if ya do it part-time over say, six odd years.
    I'm considering doing one after my MSc and the dept where I'm doing my current research masters has said they'd welcome this, but I may come to my senses! lol

Hi max001,

oh, I am not too sure, probably depends on the Uni to some degree? I think it may be every year but some would have grants/funding for their PhD so wouldn't have to pay for the registration. or they are staff members and have to pay half at the beginning and the other half is paid by the Department/School they are working in. Also, after completion they get their half back as far as I know.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The best advice I got while writing mine, was to make out a plan, with deliverables.

Say by week 1, you will have this section, week 2 that, week 3 this chapter, and so on.

I was (and still am) a terrible procrastinator, but I found a week-by-week plan spurred me into action when I felt I was falling behind.

Yes, I found this to be most helpful. I made a plan, it was ok for the first three chapters to stick to it as I had already some published material and could use this as a basis of the chapters but found it difficult to stick to the plan for the next couple of chapters. Thankfully, I designed the plan in such a way that it would always give me a bit more time than needed for each chapter. ;)

Leopardi wrote: »
    Given that students have contact with their supervisors during the writing of a thesis, is it easier for a student to predict their probable grade than in a standard essay-submission procedure?

I am not sure about Masters. My supervisor won't tell me anything until he has the full final draft in his hands. It is pretty difficult to judge sometimes but then again as a PhD student you are required to identify the end point of you research because you own that research and are the expert on that particular topic in the end.
    Maybe the supervisors are just waiting for you to say: Right, that's it, I am done here? I don't know, it's difficult to judge as I said.

Preusse wrote: »
    I am not sure about Masters. My supervisor won't tell me anything until he has the full final draft in his hands. It is pretty difficult to judge sometimes but then again as a PhD student you are required to identify the end point of you research because you own that research and are the expert on that particular topic in the end.
    Maybe the supervisors are just waiting for you to say: Right, that's it, I am done here? I don't know, it's difficult to judge as I said.

Just to clarify: the question relates to a Masters' thesis. My Ph.D. worries won't begin until October, but your reply is much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 supergirl09

I dont think so to be honest. I've had 2 supervisors (the first went on maternity leave :( ) but both never gave m the impression of prediction of grade.

They dont seem to play a major role with my thesis, only can read 1 chapter.

+1

My supervisors never mentioned grades in connection with my research masters and I've never asked. I simply want a pass and the transcript :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I dont think so to be honest. I've had 2 supervisors (the first went on maternity leave :( ) but both never gave m the impression of prediction of grade.

They dont seem to play a major role with my thesis, only can read 1 chapter.

Yeah same here. I don't think they read the whole thing before you officially submit it? Just a chapter or so, maybe your research Qs etc. to check you are on the right track. That's my understanding of it anyway!

Maybe I should be using (exploiting :D) my supervisor more though lol!

Yeah same here. I don't think they read the whole thing before you officially submit it? Just a chapter or so, maybe your research Qs etc. to check you are on the right track. That's my understanding of it anyway!

Maybe I should be using (exploiting :D) my supervisor more though lol!

Thanks for all the replies to my query. My supervisor is reading my thesis as it develops. My main worry is the possibility of falling short of my intended grade without having been warned in advance that I was falling short of his standards.

Thanks for all the replies to my query. My supervisor is reading my thesis as it develops. My main worry is the possibility of falling short of my intended grade without having been warned in advance that I was falling short of his standards.

I wouldn't say that couldn't happen, but I'd say it shouldn't happen.
    My understanding is that I'll only submit, once my supervisor and I both feel its complete. Hopefully this will avoid major re-writing, but I'm expecting to have to do some re-writing.

My supervisor is also reading my chapters and sub-chapters as I write them and he's asked me to compile the thesis onto one document as we work through it.

In truth, I'm trying to get as much done as I can this month, to allow me August to refine/redraft, add to it where necessary and get some proof reading done by a couple of trusted friends.

But, we make plans and God laughs! :D

My understanding is that I'll only submit, once my supervisor and I both feel its complete. Hopefully this will avoid major re-writing, but I'm expecting to have to do some re-writing.

My supervisor is also reading my chapters and sub-chapters as I write them and he's asked me to compile the thesis onto one document as we work through it.

In truth, I'm trying to get as much done as I can this month, to allow me August to refine/redraft, add to it where necessary and get some proof reading done by a couple of trusted friends.

wow your supervisor sounds class!!! lucky sod :p!!

• Advertisement

Aye, actually he's dead on.

Keeps stressing the minimum that needs
    to be done / most expedient way of doin
    stuff and is even helpin me with the stats! :)

Best of all - he's got a sense of humour!

He's invited me to come back after my MSc
    (next year) and do a Phd and gonna bite his
    arm off! :D

Thanks for your input Max. My own schedule is similar to yours. I would like some time to relax before my Ph.D. studies commence, but nagging worries will persist for some time yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I would agree with making a plan. Make a overall general plan from now till submission (ie August; Chapter 1, September ...)
    Then break that down into weekly plans, with more detailed objectives. Keep each individual task a manageable size. This is more realistic and will stop you from getting discouraged (eg instead of saying "finish chapter 2 this week", be specific like "Monday: Write section on x".

To start writing, start with an outline of your chapters. What sections do you want in your results/discussion/intro/whatever? Write the titles of the sections. Then you can write more in each section as you go along.

On a daily level, if you find it hard to concentrate, set yourself time limits. For example, say "I will write for 30 minutes non-stop and then I can have a 10 minute internet/tea/fresh air break". This is more realistic for concentration than trying to write for 2 hours. Also try to exercise and eat well. Your brain won't work if you don't feed it! And exercise clears the mind.

Oh yes, and BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!! (Even emailing chapters to yourself is a handy backup cos it's on the email server).

I know these ideas are prob quite obvious but they really helped me (ok it was a phd thesis but the principles are the same).

Best of luck!

I would agree with making a plan. Make a overall general plan from now till submission (ie August; Chapter 1, September ...)
    Then break that down into weekly plans, with more detailed objectives. Keep each individual task a manageable size. This is more realistic and will stop you from getting discouraged (eg instead of saying "finish chapter 2 this week", be specific like "Monday: Write section on x".

To start writing, start with an outline of your chapters. What sections do you want in your results/discussion/intro/whatever? Write the titles of the sections. Then you can write more in each section as you go along.

On a daily level, if you find it hard to concentrate, set yourself time limits. For example, say "I will write for 30 minutes non-stop and then I can have a 10 minute internet/tea/fresh air break". This is more realistic for concentration than trying to write for 2 hours. Also try to exercise and eat well. Your brain won't work if you don't feed it! And exercise clears the mind.

Oh yes, and BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!! (Even emailing chapters to yourself is a handy backup cos it's on the email server).

I know these ideas are prob quite obvious but they really helped me (ok it was a phd thesis but the principles are the same).

Best of luck!

As you say Ivy obvious maybe, but all good advice and things I've been working out for myself as I've progressed. Besides some subject learning, I'd say the biggest thing I've learned on my research masters is a fairly proficient research methodology and study routine, both of which will help me in next years taught masters and even more so on my Phd afterwards. A bit of self awareness in terms of whats right for you, goes a long way I've found :) Thanks to everyone for what they've written here - its all good stuff and thanks most of all to Kaz for starting the thread! :D

Thanks to everyone for what they've written here - its all good stuff and thanks most of all to Kaz for starting the thread! :D

I'm touched :P

I always email myself with it ol, just on the off chance something happens to my usb !

well I have 9 days to go and getting very worried now, still have loads to do. I practically waisted a month just arsing around. I know I'll get it done but the pressure is killing me!! I saw on facebook people have it binded and all :( so slightly worried.

Speaking for myself I found plans useless, even for exams I set myself tasks but would never get done so I'd stop making them up.

so how is everyone finding the stress?

Anti-depressants are a big help in times like these! :D

Mind me asking Kaz, would you know anyone who can do
    desktop publishing....as in diagrams and ilustrations etc
    Where are you getting yours bound?

I think the thesis centre in Camden Street Dublin. it has website with prices and stuuf, seem reasonable enough.

er I duno sorry, I just used word for graphs. mines a masters not a phd!!

how u going on yours?

I'll check that place out cheers.

Going back to ten survey respondents (companies) to ask about half a dozen further questions and will write up a few pages on that, then using a case study of a large Irish company to contrast with my survey results and yet to have that conversation, though they've indicated they're only too happy to help. So, got some more data gathering to do, then a fair bit more writing.......might be finished writing up by mid August, leaving me a couple of weeks to refine etc......time flies eh!
    Am pretty confident it'll all get done, but no doubt there'll be some long hours between now and then.
    Just been looking in some detail at the taught masters I'm starting in Sept and realising that that's gonna be a lot tougher! :eek:

wow, I have to do much writing up its not funny. I say I'll be not sleeping for a few days lol.

planning on binding it the 30th , 1 day before due date :) i think I'd get too worried if it was on the day.

Mine was a taught masters this year, cant wait to be finished it. August s gona be great :p

• Advertisement

anyoneknow , how to format the thesis document. Is it just section break that allows you to change the number from the roman numericals to the text ones?

Advertisement