Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis Rant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Exactly. I had this same problem a few weeks back and had to post a question! Just use a section break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭corkkaz

Ive tried to enter a section break, but the page numbering changes but in the nex section stARTS on ii again. Even when I try to delete page numbers it deletes from whole document :(:( I dont know what to do,

I have microsoft 07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

corkkaz wrote: »
    Ive tried to enter a section break, but the page numbering changes but in the nex section stARTS on ii again. Even when I try to delete page numbers it deletes from whole document :(:( I dont know what to do,

I have microsoft 07

Go to the second section of your doc and click on the page somewhere. Under the 'insert page numbers' option, click 'format page numbers, and for the second section (i.e. arabic pagination) choose 1,2,3 under the number format option and then select 'continue from previous section' as the option, and 'start at 1'.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hows it goin Kaz? Managing to hold on to your sanity still? :D

I think its gone at this stage.

I have one day left to do everything, submitting Thursday, due Friday!! I have loads to do still :( so I'm pretty worried and scared. (and have a splitting headache from formatting)

All thats getting me through is 1 more day

Thanks everyone for help with formatting, I got it!! relieved then I tell yah!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...have a splitting headache from formatting...
    I know it's a little late for you corkkaz, but if I may make a suggestion for anyone reading this who may be undertaking the writing of a thesis: use LaTex - it will save you literally hundreds of hours of 'formatting'. LaTex takes care of formatting issues (and will produce a much more professional document than a word processor) - all you have to worry about is the content.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

djpbarry wrote: »
    I know it's a little late for you corkkaz, but if I may make a suggestion for anyone reading this who may be undertaking the writing of a thesis: use LaTex - it will save you literally hundreds of hours of 'formatting'. LaTex takes care of formatting issues (and will produce a much more professional document than a word processor) - all you have to worry about is the content.

Also be very careful of the fact that Word has the ability to corrupt (particularly big) documents. So if you're using Word make sure to copy it to a backup file regularly.

thanks for the advice, I have files on my email, usb, and computer JUST IN CASE lol :p

The count down is on and I cant wait!! Just today and Im finished!!

I'll hvae to come on here and boast :P

Thanks DJPBarry and RedAlert, those suggestions/points are extremely welcome as I'm approaching the end of putting content into my thesis and starting to think more about formatting.

Cheers! :D

Kaz, keepin everything crossed for ya gurl! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

thanks for the advice, I have files on my email, usb, and computer JUST IN CASE lol :p

The count down is on and I cant wait!! Just today and Im finished!!

I'll hvae to come on here and boast :P

Good luck Kaz!

• Advertisement

ahhhh, :) thanks

So today had the worst scare, my laptop went :( and eventually found out its my charger, was very worried at the time but ok now but I lost a good bit of time trying to see if I could so it on my brothers laptop.

So now just reading over and stufff, gona be a long one!!!!!

Yah!! I'm done. I nearly cracked this morning with the pressure :( but got it in at 10 and then collected from the binders at 3. So now its handed in and now lets the celebrations begin!!!

Best of luck to everyone who is still doing thesis, phd , dissertation!!! If I can do it you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yah!! I'm done. I nearly cracked this morning with the pressure :( but got it in at 10 and then collected from the binders at 3. So now its handed in and now lets the celebrations begin!!!

Best of luck to everyone who is still doing thesis, phd , dissertation!!! If I can do it you can :)

Well done, corkkaz. You must be over the moon with the pressure gone :)

lol, well done Kaz!

Is it me next? Got four weeks to go :eek:

Then mega party at mine! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well done! Now go party!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I wrote my thesis rant on this and it seems to have disappeared. Another thing to rant about!
    Well done to those finished. I'm 3 weeks away from my deadline. I have the word count, and said almost all what I have to say. My main problem is structure, I never write these things in a coherent way and my chapters are usually backwards.
    Also, I don't have anyone to proof read it - like I could get someone to tell me about my spelling, but not if I'm making sense. Are there people who do this? Or is this not allowed?

Also, anyone know about word count, even my college can't tell me for sure. I have a lot of footnotes, are these counted? I presume bibliography is not. I'm doing an MA in Development Studies by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

For mine (LLM in UCD) the word count includes what I've written plus footnotes but not bibliography, table of contents or cases.

Did you get your formatting guide from your university? Ours was emailed out about a month ago gave us the font size, reference style, word count details etc.

Only two weeks to go, still have final chapter, conclusions, introduction and executive summary to write! But in a very weird way I know what I want to say and know what it'll all look like in the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

We did get a document with a few guidelines but it wasn't thorough and I'm left with a lot of questions. I've mailed the department and they say they're not sure either! Sheesh!

Ahhh that's so unhelpful. Maybe if you have time check out some of the previous years theses or speak to some of the staff.

Hows everyone getting on this week?

Bout four weeks to go for me and a lorra
    lorra work to do! :eek:

Had a bit of a panic earlier this week cause I thought
    I'd far too much still to do, before the deadline. Talked
    myself out of it though - eventually. Small bites, one
    at a time and ignore the elephant in the room :D

• Advertisement

Almost there. I am probably be going over my deadline by 4 days but thankfully I calculated more time than I need so that is coming out of my security zone.

Finishing off a small discussion on one chapter. One more smaller chapter to put together although it's more like an endnote and then complete my General discussion. Hope to have all this done before Wednesday.

Am hoping to finish the last chapter tomorrow and get the conclusions written on Monday. Then it'll be just a case of extracting a couple of thousand words as I'm way over my limit! :eek:

It's due Monday week but am hopeful I can get everything finished and submit next Friday (and in case everything goes to hell I have the weekend to fix it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Mine's due Friday. All is written, thank God, and I'm in minor editing and proof-reading mode. Thought the day would never get here :D

Met with my supervisor on Monday and thank gawd he's got a sense of humour.......ended his critique of my draft by saying something like......and then of course you'll want to add your conclusion.......which you'll want to be something more than 'I conclude' :rolleyes:

Personally, I think 'I conclude' works. 'I came, I wrote, I conclude' or whatever the Latin might be. I don't suppose examiners have a sense of humour though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kernunos

I can only imagine what it is like to have a supervisor that reads my work. Mine avoids his office, ignores emails and then leaves the country for prolonged periods without telling us. I do not have the full morale high-ground as i did not really start until 3 months before the deadline but by god I am frustrated. 2 weeks left and i am still at sea.

Lordy dude, thats totally FUBAR. Good luck and if anyone here can help you, don't hesitate to ask. Nice bunch, these thesis ranters! :D

It's almost over. Submitted my thesis today. Just waiting for the Viva now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Preusse wrote: »
    It's almost over. Submitted my thesis today. Just waiting for the Viva now. :D

Congratulations Preusse...I have no doubt that you would fly through your viva and you deserve it ...good luck.

procure11 wrote: »
    Congratulations Preusse...I have no doubt that you would fly through your viva and you deserve it ...good luck.

Thanks procure11! Fingers crossed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Had I known about this thread I would have been a regular contributor over the summer!

Trying to finish up my interviews at the moment. The actual research part of the thesis has sapped my spirits this summer, from hounding people who gave initial response but no further response, to refreshing my inbox every half hour, to slaving away over transcripts. I have 10 done now, just need one or two more...really need to get them done in the next two weeks before the academic year starts again and I'm back to working in the college.

Advertisement