Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help...trying to install SuSe :(

• 17-07-2009 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Heyho,

Please dont eat me if I'm asking this in the wrong place :pac:

Trying to get rid of Windows once again...so I just downloaded SuSe and burnt an ISO DVD...but my Laptop wont even recognise the DVD!

I tried burning a DVD+R as well as a DVD-R but its just not happening! The drive does play CDs though.

I cant believe I cant even manage to boot from a DVD :D

Can anyone help before I go insane?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Alyama wrote: »
    Heyho,

Please dont eat me if I'm asking this in the wrong place :pac:

Trying to get rid of Windows once again...so I just downloaded SuSe and burnt an ISO DVD...but my Laptop wont even recognise the DVD!

I tried burning a DVD+R as well as a DVD-R but its just not happening! The drive does play CDs though.

I cant believe I cant even manage to boot from a DVD :D

Can anyone help before I go insane?

Thanks!

Some things to check... boot order in the BIOS, check that it is set to boot from CD first. Then make sure you burnt the ISO as an image, not a Data CD.

Another thing to try is to install Unetbootin (there's a version for Windows). This will allow you to boot from a USB drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Alyama

Bios is set correctly and DVD is burned as image...I can read it with the other laptop but not with this one!

I'm starting to think there is a problem with my drive, it doesnt even read the DVD when I just insert it to see if theres anything on it.

Gonna try burning a Live CD now and then download the programm you suggested.

Thanks!

I had similar issue with Ubuntu a while back, drive could boot from DVDs but it worked fine for CD-R(W).

Tried the SuSe Live CD and also tried Ubuntu from CD but it just wont boot from CD even though all is set in Bios :(

Getting really depressed now...all I want is getting rid of Windows! Will download the programm now to boot from USB...maybe this works.

Doesnt work either!! :mad:

Could really do with some more help if anyone reads this :D

• Advertisement

Maybe your bios is not capapb;e of booting from USB, and possibly your DVD drive is broken. Possbly you could go for a WUBI install, at least you'd have Linux:

http://wubi-installer.org/

Thanks for that, but I'd really prefer not to see Windows on my PC ever again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Will Debian do ?

http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

Never used it myself but it looks straightforward and comes with a video demonstrating how it works

Will Debian do ?

http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

Never used it myself but it looks straightforward and comes with a video demonstrating how it works

That's a good plan, but will Alyama be able to install a full desktop, rather then ending up with a command prompt and mot knowing what to do?

Advertisement