Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom line unsuitable - Any options?

Options
  • 17-07-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum. Last week Eircom upgraded my local exchange for broadband and I got a note in the door informing me of the products available.

When I tried to buy I was told by the online checker my phone line was unsuitable. I have two seperate lines in the house and both have the same result. I live about two miles from the exchange.

I tried the phone numbers of neighbours and they appear ok, even some that are further from the exchange. I live in a rural area and my numbers are the only one on our road unsuitable.

The sales person i rang told me that forests and hills can affect availability and that there was nothing that could be done, he said an engineer would ring me but no one did.

I have been waiting for this for years and I tried LastMile wireless but could not get signal, and a friends Vodafone service wasn't great either.

If any one has any suggestions or comments I would appreciate them

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

If the Eircom exchange was only upgraded then it will be a few weeks before Eircom update there systems to confirm its available to you. My advise would be wait until the end of the month and try again or middle of august, if you waited this long whats another month or so.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There are often posts on here with similar queries just after an exchange has been upgraded and as vanbis has said it can take up to 4 weeks or so for the Eircom database to be updated.

In the meantime do you have any idea how far you are from the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Thanks to you both for the replies. I'll wait and see what happens. I live about 2 miles actually just under 2 miles from the exchange. According to the online line check every other person on my road can get some type of service except my phones so it doesnt look promising :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Two lines in the same house????

I'd bet a fiver that they're on the same pairgain. If you got rid of one of the lines, your chances of the other one passing would rise considerably.

OP, get one of those lines cancelled and the socket taken away. When the engineer arrives to do the work, tell him that you'll be putting broadband on the remaining line, so could he fix that up for you?? Offering a few bob or a bottle of wine etc. can also aid proceedings if needed.

It helps if you know someone who works in eircom as a technician/linesman. Failing that, you could call eircom again and again until you get somewhere (or even someone who's not a fool). Being irritated but polite is the best approach. If that doesn't work, a complaint letter outlining your situation, how you need it to have an office at home;), how most of your neighbours appear to be passing but you aren't, how you have two lines which don't pass but you'd sacrifice one of them to get the broadband working, how no one in eircom has helped me so far, etc.

Btw, that eircom worker is a lying b****x and sheister, or else woefully poorly trained or else simply in the wrong job and should be working at something less mentally challenging, like picking stones out of lawns. Hills affecting whether you pass or not, what a crock of ****e. How in the name of Jesus would copper wires be affected by hills? And what are these fabled hills around Tullamore?! I remember nothing more than hillocks the last time I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

dub45 wrote: »
    There are often posts on here with similar queries just after an exchange has been upgraded and as vanbis has said it can take up to 4 weeks or so for the Eircom database to be updated.

In the meantime do you have any idea how far you are from the exchange?
    The OP said about two miles from the exchange.

Also, especially considering it must be a small exchange, the line testing would all be done on the one day. If all the neighbours on her road passed, it's not very plausible to think that her numbers would be different and still both untested.

I know some posters have been wondering about how long it takes for the line to start passing, but I believe there was also doubts as to whether the exchange was live or not. Posters were thinking that the sales people showing up meant that the exchange had already gone live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Two lines in the same house????

I'd bet a fiver that they're on the same pairgain. If you got rid of one of the lines, your chances of the other one passing would rise considerably.

OP, get one of those lines cancelled and the socket taken away. When the engineer arrives to do the work, tell him that you'll be putting broadband on the remaining line, so could he fix that up for you?? Offering a few bob or a bottle of wine etc. can also aid proceedings if needed.

Thanks for the sugestion. I have two lines in the one house but one could be got rid of if it meant broadband. I'll ring them on monday but the salesman will probably be as helpful as the last one

Btw, that eircom worker is a lying b****x and sheister, or else woefully poorly trained or else simply in the wrong job and should be working at something less mentally challenging, like picking stones out of lawns. Hills affecting whether you pass or not, what a crock of ****e. How in the name of Jesus would copper wires be affected by hills? And what are these fabled hills around Tullamore?! I remember nothing more than hillocks the last time I was there

Exactly what I thought, though in my head it wasn't as polite :D. It would be a handy excuse for wireless but not two miles of phone lines. A technician was to ring me back but no joy.

Advertisement