Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typing Skills?

Options
  • 17-07-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi could someone answer this for me:)

My question is do most I.T employers require that you have good/fast typing skills. I know it will be helpful for programming, i dont know how many times ive had to correct myslef doing OOP due to my lack of accuracy while typing. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

chriz wrote: »
    Hi could someone answer this for me:)

My question is do most I.T employers require that you have good/fast typing skills. I know it will be helpful for programming, i dont know how many times ive had to correct myslef doing OOP due to my lack of accuracy while typing. :o

I don't know but you will only get fast by using a keyboard everyday and typing. When i left college i couldn't type to save my life but after i got my first job and i found after a few months i could type no problems and could probably type 60 words a minute.

I wouldn't worry to much about this, just spend some time typing stories or just general stuff you like and you will soon start to notice a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

The short answer is no. You'll get much quicker at typing once you start your first job anyway. You would be surprised at how many people working in IT still use the hunt and peck method. Besides, being efficient at programming has 95% to do with fast brainwork and not fast typing.

The real issue here is how to avoid RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) which is one of the major risks for anybody with an IT career. I would suggest you do some research on Google to find out if your typing posture is correct and what exercises to do in order to avoid it etc. I would also invest in a decent ergonomic keyboard if you can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The real issue here is how to avoid RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) which is one of the major risks for anybody with an IT career. I would suggest you do some research on Google to find out if your typing posture is correct and what exercises to do in order to avoid it etc. I would also invest in a decent ergonomic keyboard if you can.
    A non issue for most people.
    If you take regular breaks you should be OK, And by that I mean using the mouse for a few seconds every few minutes or picking up the phone or using a pen. Unless you are continuously typing and have bad posture and are susceptible then very unlikely to have any pains that don't go away quickly.

A lot of the ergonomics is BS IMHO. The styles change all the time, which just shows they haven't got it right.
    Apart from netbooks, smaller keyboards for people with smaller hands just aren't common. Having to spread your fingers apart would sound painful to me. Learn the shortcuts. Also having Fuction keys on the top is a disaster, I want them back on the side like on the XT keyboard. And keys further away should be bigger :mad:

Instead of getting the latest fad in warped keyboards consider a single handed input device instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

never heard of any companys "testing" this mavis beacon ftw

phew phew phew

Advertisement