Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do/ people to meet in Galway city

Options
  • 17-07-2009 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey guys
    I just moved to galway and i am completly new to the area, dont know anyone or any good places to hang out with like minded people, was wondering if anyone could let me know of different groups or places that might interest me

im a 22 year old male, i love music, will listen to anything but my favorite is hard rock/ heavy metal, started playing guitar about a year ago. i also studied product design so i have a big interest in art and design also. i dont drink so im not a big pub scene type person.

Thanks for your help everyone! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I'm in Galway for the weekend but I don't know anyone down there and I'll have
    reason to be every odd weekend in the future too. The last time, I found the
    locals (really) friendly so I'd suggest just head out and get to know some people.
    The Roisin (Dubh) would be a good 1st bet for music.

try here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The Social Space on Middle St has a lot of musicians pass through and post notices there etc, as well as music sometimes.

It is a booze-free spot too (although not everyone who goes there is a non-drinker by any means:P).

Amnesty Café, also on Middle St has free Music at 5 or 6 on Thurs, believe it is Anna from the Rye this Thurs. Also good for meeting folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

hows things?
    I'm hoping to move to galway soon also
    the place is full of things to do
    any advice on how to get the right accomidation?
    you might be interested in this site my cousin runs its dedicated to young people , giving them a voice and health and life information
    http://www.spunout.ie/
    heres the social space site
    http://www.galwayspace.org/
    good luck
    up galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Pinkshoes

There is a bookclub here on boards. You'll find the thread here in the Galway City forum, usually on the first or second page. They meet every second Tuesday. It's a bit of craic (not too serious) and good way to meet people.
    Enjoy Galway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Take up drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

How about putting that guitar to work for ya? Advertise (here on boards, a notice down in the Forge, rehearsal space in town) for a group who want to throw something together maybe? Ya learn fast like that too and it can be great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Hi i am new to boards and i find it hard to meet people too. I am female and I do like pubs but would prefer not to go drinking on my own to meet people! Galway is a good spot and I used to know alot more people but they have dispersed to the wind I think! But it seems if you are not in a crowd or dont know anyone..good luck to ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 SUMojoJojo

The SU Sessions are on every Tuesday from 7pm to 8pm in the canteen at NUI Galway. These are free new music nights that are open to all (not just students!) and are held in an alcohol free setting. More info on upcoming acts here: http://www.su.nuigalway.ie/site/view/60/
    Come on down for a session!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Keep an eye out for boards beers, the ladies of the forum just had a meet up last week, but we'll plan another one again soon! the chance for us girls to meet other girls who are looking for friends! Guess a general beers will be organised soon too. Or see the link in my signature for a great way to meet new people, keep fit and learn to dance even if you have two left feet:)

Me. For both your questions.

• Advertisement

HI,dont understand that ....

HI,dont understand that ....
    I meant I am a person to meet and a thing to do. Don't worry.

I have little desire to meet more people from the internets as it's only a matter of time before I get groomed, but I wouldn't worry about talking to people just because you're by yourself. As long as you're not a bit mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

creepy

Thanx for that. Will do!

great thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

People to meet;
    Hobos
    KD
    Nora
    AntiSanta

Dont really understand that!

You will do...you will do.

..eh ok whatever.

Why bother responding if you were only going to say "Whatever"?

• Advertisement

Just cos I wanted to..cos what u said made no sense whatsoever.Strange that's all. thanks anyway!

Because you didn't get it =/= not making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

popetony/moonandstars
    There is a Beers coming up some time in the future. Other than that you can join various classes (drumming, pottery, dancing, tai chi, Gaeilge, ...) to meet people.
    Keep posting here, stay positive and things will work out.

I like beer..sounds good. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dickybird

Hey all,

Im i the same boat!! I'm thinking of moving to Galway too, love music, sport play a samll bit of guitar.

Would love to join a tradtional music band that play in pubs and all, have a bit of crack and a few beers. I dont know anyone up there so what would be the best way too meet people? I play Gaelic so would it be good to join a team? What would be a good socialable team to join??

There's some sort of new social get together site for Galway people, it's mentioned by someone in the sticky section. Called '4thecraic' - The website says they do a nice balance of indoor/sporty stuff, arty stuff, foodie stuff etc.

Seems reasonable and low key.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

and this is them
    http://4thecraic-galway.appspot.com/index/
    looks pretty cool
    anyone here a part of it?

hupyago wrote: »
    and this is them
    http://4thecraic-galway.appspot.com/index/
    looks pretty cool
    anyone here a part of it?

Not directly, but know folks involved with some of the entertainments they do, that's why I mentioned it.
    It's fairly new, but the folks running it seem sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Hi all, also in the solitary state in Galway, Also play guitar so I'd def be up for a jam session or pints or pretty much anything actually... loads of great suggestions on here though!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement