Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP NEEDED WITH CAR TOMORROW..

• 17-07-2009 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a 04 Laguna thats been lying up for near 6 months now... Been trying to sell it since last november, renewed an add for it last week n someone wants to see it on Sunday.

Anyways, the battery is dead on it. I tried to jump start it earlier with no joy. My dad normally does all this for me but he's on holidays at the mo.. I had him listen to the engine over the phone n he says the starter solinoid is clicking but wont pick up. When ever I go to start the car it just keeps clicking. The altenator turns over and the odd time the engine sounds like its gonna turn over but never does.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if there's anyone on the northside(cars in Baldoyle) that knows a bit about motors that can give me a hand?? I'll pay anyone that can help... Really need to get it going, getting this sold would be a huge huge bonus for me n the missus... Need the money bad!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

unklerosco wrote: »

Anyways, I'm just wondering if there's anyone on the northside(cars in Baldoyle) that knows a bit about motors that can give me a hand?? I'll pay anyone that can help... Really need to get it going, getting this sold would be a huge huge bonus for me n the missus... Need the money bad!

I'm working early in the morning otherwise i would have gone over if you were badly stuck. You should try turn the ignition on give it a push and put the car into 2nd gear and keep the clutch down and once you build up a bit speed lift your foot from the clutch and hit the acclerator a couple of times, its either the battery or starting motor which will cost you get fixed, nut that if its not turning over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Cheers... I'm gonna pick up a battery for it in the morning n see if that makes any difference. I wouldn't be able to jump start it myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Cheers... I'm gonna pick up a battery for it in the morning n see if that makes any difference. I wouldn't be able to jump start it myself...

Yes you would need at 3 people to try that. If you are getting a new Battery go down to Fastfit in Clarehall and you will get one nice and cheap, alot cheaper then say Halford's on the Malahide road. I saved a neighbour a €40 a few months back when i tried there, that was my good deed for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anyways, the battery is dead on it. I tried to jump start it earlier with no joy. My dad normally does all this for me but he's on holidays at the mo.. I had him listen to the engine over the phone n he says the starter solinoid is clicking but wont pick up.

1. The battery is probably fine, it is just not holding a charge (after sitting up for all that time). You can buy a cheap charger in Halfords or a motors factor that will charge up the battery in a few hours. If you don't want to spend money, you can borrow mine, free of charge (pun intended) :D

2. What way exactly did you jump start it? I had the exact same problem on a car with a completely dead battery that had been sitting up. The starter solenoid was ticking, but no start unless I had the car wired up to the running engine of another car AND used a battery pack as well. You can borrow my fully charged battery pack too if you want :)

3. Getting a brand new battery is the easiest solution, but you'd have to buy one and your current battery is probably fine. Waste of money!

I was trying to jump it from a new citroen berlingo van.. I can get a loan of battery off a mate(he works in a motor factors), I've a charger in my folks house that I can use to charge the old batter in the mean time...

I just wanna get the car started n give it a good drive tomorrow n get it cleaned up...

Hopefully the new battery will get it going... hopefully.. Cheers for the offer tho Unkel

• Advertisement

Hopefully the new battery will get it going

Hopefully!

Let us know how you're getting on.

P.S. push starting is probably the easiest way to get it going as Vanbis suggested. I've been driving automatics now for such a long time that I forget about this (you can't push start automatics)

Is there no other fella around where you live who can give the car a push in the morning? Would save you all the trouble of going out to lend a battery, etc.

The car is in a business park, all the units will be closed so I'll be there alone...

Ah cool. Good luck with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Tow it while in gear and it'll fire up no probs (with someone behind the wheel obviously. lol). you'll need a small bit of power in the battery for the transponder though but once ya have enough to light the dash it'll start.

If your gonna make the trip down to fast fit, you might as well go the other 100meters and pick up a second hand battery from summerhill spares in the industrial estate behind halfords. it'll be 20quid for a checked and charged one. no point in spending too much on something you are going to sell.

Got it sorted... Just needed a new battery. Now all I gotta do is get the keys repaired and get the service book stamped n I'm sorted..

Why is it that dealers never stamp the books when they do a service. This car was serviced 3 times by a main dealer and it has no stamps...

• Advertisement

Got it sorted... Just needed a new battery.

Nice one - GLWS :)

Why is it that dealers never stamp the books when they do a service. This car was serviced 3 times by a main dealer and it has no stamps...

Lazyness. Also lazyness from the customer to not bother to check the servicebook and make sure it is stamped :p

It wasn't my car at the time :P :P :P

I hope they take it, its mad to think these where going for around €10-11k just over a year ago. I'm looking for near €4.5k n even thats hard to get..

Advertisement