Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spooky old building on corrib!!

Options
  • 17-07-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

ok people, i think you need to be a galwegian to help me with this one.
    does anybody know what the old derelict building facing the corrib above o briens bridge used to be. its fairly high, on the nuns island side of the corrib and has loads of broken windows on the corrib facing side. the reason for the 'spooky' part of the title is that one night coming home from work (around 1am) i saw flashing lights in the second from top floor windows. it was like strobe lighting but much too slow for that. there probably is a simple explanation, but i'm dying to find out what!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

used to be one of a couple of old mills and the story as i know it is that the building was condemn but some of the old workforce tried to protect the building, for its history but tragedy stroke when some mansory came loose and fell on top of the workers, both died and ever since the legal wrangling has kept it standing. So it might have been the lads ghosts still holding the vigil to keep it standing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Or junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Krieg wrote: »
    Or junkies

Doubt junkies have strobe lights now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Is this the building you are talking about?

Picture1.png

I always thought it was an old chemical factory?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Arent we talking about that fenced off ruined building you see whilst crossing the bridge? If so, its probably some gmit students so satisfied with themselves of making it that close to NUIG they decided to light up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Is this the building you are talking about?

Picture1.png

I always thought it was an old chemical factory?

Yep thats the one. great photo too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Myself and an ex's spot was along there(the stone bench beside the bin with the funny face on it), and we always said that when my first album goes platinum, we would buy that place and turn it into a studio-esque home and all our friend would live there with us and we would all be so hip, bohemian and cool whilst listening to Toploader! The naivity of youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

We used to have parties in there :D Then they fenced up the windows :(

It's owned by the university. The engineering dept use it for storage I think.
    I thought it was a distillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Story I heard is that it was used previously for industry and the site is now hazardous due to the chemicals that were used, so it cannot be redeveloped as it stands, although it may be a protected structure too, so it can't be knocked either. Not sure how true that is, but thats what I heard... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

Think Zzippy has it right.. As I always understood it, it's the old hygeia chemical plant founded in 1939 by Dr. Donny Coyle, which used to make things like insecticides and fertiliser and is now based in Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

so, its a definite no-go for a rock star home?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »
    Story I heard is that it was used previously for industry and the site is now hazardous due to the chemicals that were used, so it cannot be redeveloped as it stands, although it may be a protected structure too, so it can't be knocked either. Not sure how true that is, but thats what I heard... :confused:

I've heard a similar story, with DDT mentioned. If anyone wants to do anything with the building, they'd need planning permission, and getting permission would involve cleaning up the chemicals which would cost a fortune. But if nothing's done with it, it can just stand there, falling down in place and leeching chemicals into the surroundings.

Like everyone else, I've no authoritative source for this, 'tis just the story I've been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anatomy Boy

The building was Persse's Whiskey Distillery. The building existed before 1840 when the Persse family bought the building. At it's peak, 125 people were employed there but it was put into recievership in 1906 and closed down in 1910

It was bought by Hygeia (chemical company) who also bought Palmers Flour Mill (now the NUI Galway Industrial and Electronic Engineering Dept.'s)

Think that closed down sometime in the 70/80's

No idea why there would be lights on. Torches form security maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I have always wanted to get into that building and take a look around. Maybe get a few photos. They would be a nice addition to the Web Urbanist site: http://weburbanist.com/2008/12/05/abandoned-deserted-building-town-city/
    Any ideas anyone as to how I could do this WITHOUT breaking and entering of course :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Any ideas anyone as to how I could do this WITHOUT breaking and entering of course :) ?

Grab a clipboard, put on a fluro vest, find someone with a key and tell him you're from the council and have come to do the overdue "mumble-waste-compliance-mumble-inspection".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement