Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How and where to preorder Windows 7 in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-07-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Where is the best deal and do I need to buy computer with Vista first to be able to buy preorder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭j_lennon18

The cheapest i can find now since amazon upped there prices is @ eBuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/special/1645?ref=dotd&hp_deal=10

£50 for Windows 7 Home Premium

£89.99 for Windows 7 Professional

Delivery to Ireland is £9.99

Iv never actually bought anything from them but i did register before and i remember i had problems entering an irish phone number. I had to enter my home number as:
    3531X XXXXXX.

Im holding off buying tho untill i can find somewhere cheaper as the uk people are still getting it from £45 + free delivery from the likes of pcworld.co.uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

The product is available as a download - there should be no delivery charge using this method. Anyway it looks as if the pre-order offer is being withdrawn in Europe. No doubt they have run out of downloads!

Their French site just now says:

"Pré-commandes Windows 7 – L’offre promotionnelle spéciale n’est plus disponible"

A marketing con trick. Further underscoring Microsoft's monopoly in the operating system market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Ilap7 wrote: »
    Where is the best deal and do I need to buy computer with Vista first to be able to buy preorder?
    If you have a PC with XP you can use this. Should work fine. I have Windows 7 running on a probably 6/7 year old laptop. I took it out of storage, dusted it down, downloaded the 7 ISO image, and it installed in no time. Couldn't do that with Vista.... However my understanding is that you can't upgrade from XP to Windows 7 in the EU - you will have to do a clean install.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

probe wrote: »
    The product is available as a download - there should be no delivery charge using this method. Anyway it looks as if the pre-order offer is being withdrawn in Europe. No doubt they have run out of downloads!

Their French site just now says:

"Pré-commandes Windows 7 – L’offre promotionnelle spéciale n’est plus disponible"

A marketing con trick. Further underscoring Microsoft's monopoly in the operating system market.
    I was under the impression you get sent a physical disc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ilap7

j_lennon18 wrote: »
    The cheapest i can find now since amazon upped there prices is @ eBuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/special/1645?ref=dotd&hp_deal=10

£50 for Windows 7 Home Premium

£89.99 for Windows 7 Professional

Delivery to Ireland is £9.99

Iv never actually bought anything from them but i did register before and i remember i had problems entering an irish phone number. I had to enter my home number as:
    3531X XXXXXX.

Im holding off buying tho untill i can find somewhere cheaper as the uk people are still getting it from £45 + free delivery from the likes of pcworld.co.uk.

Thanks lennon! I think I'll get my copy of Win7 from buyer.com :) It's 50% off so I don't believe that whenever it will be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

probe wrote: »
    There is no need to hijack threads.
    Microsoft make a lot of money and aren't as ethical as they could be.

get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rsl

I have been using Windows 7 pro beta version--- I would stick with XP .. really !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Thanks Lennon Managed to pre-order a copy:)

alexmcred wrote: »
    Thanks Lennon Managed to pre-order a copy:)

alexmcred, how did you manage that order on ebuyer.com? I can't register with my Irish landline :(

put in moble number in the second one 086xxxxxxx and in the first one mobile no. minus a digit. also had to use google checkout to pay for it.

• Advertisement

alexmcred wrote: »
    put in moble number in the second one 086xxxxxxx and in the first one mobile no. minus a digit. also had to use google checkout to pay for it.

Thank you for reply. Yes, with Google Checkout there's no problem with placing an order.
    Thouh I still thinking to buy Win7 because I am worring that after clean installation I wonn't be able to find all drivers and programs from hardware manufacturers. I have only Dell CD with drivers. How to manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

woohoo..thank god for my MSDN account....free, all free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    woohoo..thank god for my MSDN account....free, all free :D

Indeed and of course MSDN accounts are also free....:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Indeed and of course MSDN accounts are also free....:rolleyes::p

they are for me..company pays for them ;)

Ilap7 wrote: »
    Thank you for reply. Yes, with Google Checkout there's no problem with placing an order.
    Thouh I still thinking to buy Win7 because I am worring that after clean installation I wonn't be able to find all drivers and programs from hardware manufacturers. I have only Dell CD with drivers. How to manage that?

I'm running 7 pre release on an inspiron and have not had any driver issues. For my webcam I just plugged it in and it went and found drivers. Talking to my mate he just uses Vista drivers if something is not working correctly.

I have moved from Vista Ultimate to 7 64bit and the difference in my system is massive much faster than it ever was with vista and even 7 32 bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

I got it from amazon uk

Advertisement