Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 liter cointreau from another country?

Options
  • 17-07-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

we drank a friend's cointreau while they were away and told him we'd replace it. trouble is, it was a liter bottle, and after asking around at dozens of off licenses, it seems liter bottles of this particular beverage are "only" available at duty-free and other countries. now, i could just do 2 70cl bottles, but that gets dear enough pretty quickly. i've found two places online in spain and france that sell liter bottles for 15.80 and 21.00, respectively. i'd prefer those prices, so was just wondering if anyone knew anyone coming from some other country or through a duty-free who would be willing to buy a liter bottle of cointreau and trust a stranger to reimberse them for their troubles. i'll be travelling to the states in a while, but not sure if they'll have cointreau, and would like to clear up the matter sooner than later. :)

any advice or hints welcome.
    cheers.
    pg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

personguy wrote: »
    anyone coming from some other country or through a duty-free who would be willing to buy a liter bottle of cointreau and trust a stranger to reimberse them for their troubles.
    Hint number one: selling alcohol without a licence is illegal. It's probably best not to ask people on an open forum to do it.

Call Barry Fitzwilliam, they distribute it here and might have the litre bottles. They might be trade only sales though, but it's worth a try.
    Barry Fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Just give him the 2x70cls by way of apology and to reimburse him for the inconvenience, and let it be a lesson to you not to go drinking what's not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

personguy wrote: »
    i'll be travelling to the states in a while, but not sure if they'll have cointreau, and would like to clear up the matter sooner than later.
    I would be shocked if you couldn't get it in the states. But anyway you can buy it duty free in dublin airport on the way out and bring it back again. Loads of people miss out on the fact you can buy duty free both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

BeerNut wrote: »
    Hint number one: selling alcohol without a licence is illegal. It's probably best not to ask people on an open forum to do it.

oh! didn't see all these comments here until just now. thanks for the tip, BN. i hadn't considered it 'selling' alcohol, though i see your point/perspective, but i figured it was more fair than asking someone to give it to me for free ;)

thanks all for the tips. and yes, i've definitely learned my lesson. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement