Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland - Still A Backward Country?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh there are some terrible bullies on the overly right-on left - no doubt about it. The irony of them screaming "fascist" at people who won't subscribe to their points of view never fails to amuse me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Dudess wrote: »
    ... for no reason other than a dislike of the new/different.

Exactly yeah, I actually meant to finish my sentence with that. something shiny distracted me :D

Jakkass wrote: »
    However claiming something is progressive and calling others who don't agree with you as bigots, ignorant, backward, and so on is merely just a form of liberal fascism. Agree with me or I will slander you until you do. That's what annoys me the most about liberal argumentation. When the argument fails, and when people say they have concerns about things, it is out with the personal attacks.

Certainly there are people who do this, and it's wrong, but I think it's a little myopic that you complain about this solely as a facet of "liberal argumentation".

There have already been accusations of people pushing a "liberal agenda" in this very thread.

You really are going to have to accept, at some point, that not everyone who has what you consider a "liberal" view on certain issues subscribes to some sort of liberal hive mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I wouldn't see it as "hilarious" per sé, nor would I consider the word "dirty". I do consider liberalism as something which is potentially dangerous in any society when taken far too far. That's mainly what I am opposed to.

By liberalism, I'm talking about the non-sensical view which has emerged most recently which is influenced by post-modernism that insists that there are no absolutes, and that there is no real need for functional restrictions where it could have an adverse effect on society. It rather than seeking to have rational and necessary restrictions seeks to demolish as many of them as humanly possible to allow people to make their own view on things, even when they could affect the rest of us as well. To pursue their own ideology they complain that those who seek to have reasonable boundaries are coercing, forcing, and in numerous cases that they are bigots for merely being concerned about certain laws.

By conservatism, I'm talking about the view that change is welcome, but change has to take place with a debate where both sides bring forward their views and where the Government as legislators take into serious account the possible affect of this law, consults the population, and only when the pros and cons after being weighed up suggest that this law is more beneficial than not. Only then it should be legalised. If a majority of the population are not satisfied that morally contentious viewpoints should be legalised then it should be postponed until a point when they are. Change can only happen when the society is willing. Most conservatives would agree that the people should have an input into what norms and what laws are beneficial or are not beneficial. Both sides should have their say, and people shouldn't be guilt tripped by being called "bigots" or be slandered when they think that legitimate boundaries to our society are necessary.

yeah, if you paint both sides in such a childish manner then it's easy to make your side seem like a paradigm of rational thought while making the other look like slavering, hedonists who are only one mass orgy and abortion away from runining us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Aard wrote: »
    Just to note: I value your opinion, and I'm sure you're more knowledgeable than me in some areas. I'm not steadfast in my beliefs, so what you say may have an impact on my future thoughts.

I don't think I'm any more knowledgeable than anyone else. I'm just an average joe with an opinion and a place to discuss it :)
    J How does it fund criminal activity?

Well, it's quite simple. In Amsterdam many criminals have been behind the running of brothels. Making something legal doesn't mean that criminals get out of the prostitution business.

See this article which is less than a year old discussing the problems in Amsterdam:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/whore-miles-plan-for-dutch-prostitutes-who-behave-952479.html

The people who think that everything is just fine after legalisation are sorely mistaken.

There are many things that serve equally non-positive purposes for society, that are still legal.
    People will commit adultery if they want to - whether prostitution is legal or not. I'll take this moment to say that in Ireland prostitution in and of itself is not illegal.

I know. Many political figures such as David Cameron of the British Conservatives argue for supporting British families, and I'd like to think that somewhere my politicians would have the same heart concerning the natural biological family in the 21st century. The family is also enshrined in our constitution. I think factors like it potentially leading to marital difficulties are up for consideration if it ultimately has a knock on effect.
    And why shouldn't they, if that's what they choose?

By financial coercion. I mean they are forced to go into this field instead of finding another job. Prostitution is generally seen as a last resort. One can question whether or not it is a true choice if it is made as a last resort. One could also argue that if one is coerced to do this as a last resort that it is rape. Rape is when one is coerced to have sex.

Again, how is the money going back to criminals?

See above.
    My main thing about prostitution is that it's going to happen whether it's legal or not. If it's illegal, there's no protection for prostitutes. If it is legal and regulated, then their lives would be much safer.

In Sweden they carried out a program of strong opposition to prostitution. They have seriously limited the practice, and they have dropped their rate of human trafficking substantially in comparison to that of the Netherlands. I think minimising it so as few people as possible are affected by it is better than opening it up as wide as possible so as many people as possible are affected by it. We can seriously curb prostitution, it is realistic and possible if there is enough effort to do so by the police.
    Afaik, the UK hasn't legalised any drugs like Cannabis, Ecstacy, Cocaine etc. so these killings can't be drug-legalisation related.

They are cannabis related. If that can happen in a country where it is illegal, I really do not want to know what will happen where it isn't legalised. The drug will still do the same things to people whether legal or illegal.
    A fair point. But can you give examples of a country that has legalised drugs where net safety has decreased?

I'd have to do a bit of research, but I'm pretty sure it is possible.
    This may well be true. But at least the stuff they're selling isn't full of petrol and rat-poison.
    I couldn't care how pure the stuff is. Both have negative effects and we should be trying our best to curb the practice.
    OK. I'm guessing that the other people it involves are potential adopted/fostered/surrogated children.

Mostly.
    I agree with you here - it is mad that they were sued (successfully?) on such grounds.

Yes, they were sued successfully. There is no room for difference of opinion. You are a bigot if you do not support gay marriage apparently.

That is an opinion, rather than a right.

Is it? I believe it is a right. Many do not, hence why people disagree over it.
    The case in Ireland is that not only can single people adopt and foster (including gay people), but there are thousands of single parents out there too. Should they also be stopped from having children?

It's an interesting point. There has been a lot of research to suggest that the lack of a father is problematic in a marriage. I personally would support measures like in Arkansas where adoption is limited to those who are married. However when it comes to biology there isn't very much one can do about it.
    I agree in part with this. Children should be taught about "mommy and daddy", but I also think that children should be aware that there are other types of families out there too. Pretending it doesn't exist isn't going to stop it from happening.

I think there is a potential problem of bias entering education on this issue.
    Such as?

The three major ones I already mentioned in my post:

1. That children in gay marriages will have the right to a mother and a father or seek to be adopted if requested.
    2. That people who oppose this will not be discriminated against.
    3. That there will not be bias in the education system in favour of this ideology if legalised.

Yes, they were sued successfully. There is no room for difference of opinion. You are a bigot if you do not support gay marriage apparently.

This was one isolated case. ONE. There are idiotic judicial decisions all the time, this one just happens to involve gay marriage.

And again you're extrapolating a lone example to assume it defines the stance of all people who support gay marriage.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    This was one isolated case. ONE. There are idiotic judicial decisions all the time, this one just happens to involve gay marriage.

And again you're extrapolating a lone example to assume it defines the stance of all people who support gay marriage.

Also this leaves aside the fact that the photographer in question should have known that you can turn down work for any reason, but if you actually tell people why then you leave yourself open to lawsuits like this. Ignorance of the law of the land is his fault, and no one elses.

frankly, i have little sympathy for him.

Yes, but you are missing the point. That one case should have never happened. It's not the only case either. Another involved a Catholic adoption agency shutting down because the State government had forced it to compromise it's religious ethos.

If this will cause "idiotic judicial decisions", I don't think that's good enough. We need to have assurances that things like this won't happen before it is signed into law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

In Amsterdam the mayor last year said he was closing down a lot of the red light district and the coffee shops, he said there was a lot of human trafficking going on along with extortion and money laundering.

Also this leaves aside the fact that the photographer in question should have known that you can turn down work for any reason, but if you actually tell people why then you leave yourself open to lawsuits like this. Ignorance of the law of the land is his fault, and no one elses.

frankly, i have little sympathy for him.

Well this is true. While I wouldn't necessarily be a fan of legislation leading to this - the law in New Mexico obviously doesn't allow for discrimination in who you provide your services to on racial / sexual grounds. One wonders the reaction if he'd refused to photograph an interracial couple - as he only supported traditional marriages.

The only other case I saw was a Church sued because they refused to allow a gay couple rent their pavillion to celebrate their wedding. It then turned out that the reason was the Church had bought the pavillion from the state, with the agreement they would allow it to be used by members of the public.

• Advertisement

Well this is true. While I wouldn't necessarily be a fan of legislation leading to this - the law in New Mexico obviously doesn't allow for discrimination in who you provide your services to on racial / sexual grounds. One wonders the reaction if he'd refused to photograph an interracial couple - as he only supported traditional marriages.

The only other case I saw was a Church sued because they refused to allow a gay couple rent their pavillion to celebrate their wedding. It then turned out that the reason was the Church had bought the pavillion from the state, with the agreement they would allow it to be used by members of the public.

i'd love a link to the stories Jakkas and Min are talking about, because i'm sure there more to them than they make out.

i'd love a link to the stories Jakkas and Min are talking about, because i'm sure there more to them than they make out.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7769199.stm
    50% reduction in the red light district in Amsterdam in response to crime.

Min wrote: »
    In Amsterdam the mayor last year said he was closing down a lot of the red light district and the coffee shops, he said there was a lot of human trafficking going on along with extortion and money laundering.

Yes - they were cracking down on the use of trafficked women. Which is exactly how it should be working.

About the coffee shops, would like to see a link with more detail?

Edit: Just saw the link. Exactly as expected, they're cutting down on the criminal element.

Utter nonsense. It depends state by state in fairness. In New Hampshire it is possible for professionals to refuse to work at gay marriage ceremonies due to religious disagreements. However, in other states where it has been legalised the same rights haven't been offered to people who disagree.

Heck even in the UK they allow this in relation to civil partnership ceremonies!

The idea that you can be legally chastised for disagreeing with gay marriage is utterly ridiculous. Big Brother liberal police state. No thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

DB10 wrote: »
    Gay marriage is a bit too far for me. One step forward and two steps backward.
    Why? What do the activities of two consenting adults carried out behind closed doors bother you so much?

I know lots of hetro couples who married for all the wrong reasons - why not afford the gay community the same opportunities to screw up in life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Jakkass, you mentioned Sweden's stance on prostitution. I've read a little on Wikipedia, and frankly - liberal as I am! - I like it. Norway and Iceland are the same. Basically, it says that selling sex isn't illegal, but buying it is - thus protecting the prostitute.

In a similar vein, I'd be happy with legislation that allows the consumption and purchase of narcotics, but criminalises the selling of them. This is actually in place in the Netherlands, and is there so that if somebody has complications after taking a drug, they can go to hospital without worry that they will be prosecuted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7769199.stm
    50% reduction in the red light district in Amsterdam in response to crime.

Now, what would make this actually relivent would be some figures to back up the assertion that crime would be lower by reducing (not removing, btw) the number of windows and coffee shops.

It's been nearly a year, there should be something by now.

Yes, but you are missing the point. That one case should have never happened. It's not the only case either. Another involved a Catholic adoption agency shutting down because the State government had forced it to compromise it's religious ethos.

If this will cause "idiotic judicial decisions", I don't think that's good enough. We need to have assurances that things like this won't happen before it is signed into law.

So - a bad judicial decision means we should deny all gay people the right to get married, in case it "might" lead to more cases?

I'd see it as a case for judicial reform more than anything.

Also - it's more than likely a requirement to be a state licensed photographer that you don't discriminate on racial or sexual grounds, no?

The idea that you can be legally chastised for disagreeing with gay marriage is utterly ridiculous. Big Brother liberal police state. No thank you.

It's not being chastised for disagreeing with gay marriage - it's being chastised for failing to adhere to the standards you agreed to uphold when you applied to become a state licensed photographer, no? Eg. no discrimination on racial or sexual grounds?

For what it's worth I don't think it was a good decision.

• Advertisement

It is not even marriage if gays tie the knot, the traditional view of marriage is a religious ceremony where a couple gets married and then the minor part is the state bit - the civil bit.

It would be a civil union really, it is what it should be called by right when a man and woman uses the registry office rather than a religious service.

Utter nonsense. It depends state by state in fairness. In New Hampshire it is possible for professionals to refuse to work at gay marriage ceremonies due to religious disagreements. However, in other states where it has been legalised the same rights haven't been offered to people who disagree.

Heck even in the UK they allow this in relation to civil partnership ceremonies!

However the idea that you can be legally chastised for disagreeing with gay marriage is utterly ridiculous.

You *can* turn down work, but if you give reasons you leave yourself open to legal action, based on laws we have to stop being being discriminated against for something trivial like the sexual orientation or skin colour. He opened himself up for legal action by not showing any goddamn tact or business sense, so frankly, fuck his sob story.

Jakkass, you mentioned Sweden's stance on prostitution. I've read a little on Wikipedia, and frankly - liberal as I am! - I like it. Norway and Iceland are the same. Basically, it says that selling sex isn't illegal, but buying it is - thus protecting the prostitute.

In a similar vein, I'd be happy with legislation that allows the consumption and purchase of narcotics, but criminalises the selling of them. This is actually in place in the Netherlands, and is there so that if somebody has complications after taking a drug, they can go to hospital without worry that they will be prosecuted.

After thinking about this for a few minutes. I'd agree with you. However it's a pity that the second isn't enforced with the same endeavour as the first. If the Netherlands took their criminalisation of selling drugs as seriously as the Swedes do in relation to prostitution I'd agree with you entirely. The only problem with the Dutch law if it is as you describe is that it isn't properly enforced. It's ignored.

So if I were in a face to face discussion with you right now, I'd shake you hand :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I cant wait until all the current politicians, priests, and backwards people die off. Maybe we might be able to progress then, if they dont send us back to the famine ages that is

miralize wrote: »
    I cant wait until all the current politicians, priests, and backwards people die off. Maybe we might be able to progress then, if they dont send us back to the famine ages that is

The backward people from Dublin responsible for Bord Snip nua's proposals was very anti rural Ireland - if we have a famine it will probably be some D4 types who don't know how to produce food and thinks in a modern society that food grows in a supermarket and there is no need for rural Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It is not even marriage if gays tie the knot, the traditional view of marriage is a religious ceremony where a couple gets married and then the minor part is the state bit - the civil bit.

It would be a civil union really, it is what it should be called by right when a man and woman uses the registry office rather than a religious service.
    Yet that's recognised as marriage, therefore I don't see why same-sex couples shouldn't marry. If marriage was purely religious, fair enough - organised religion generally doesn't recognise homosexuality. But marriage isn't purely religious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Nonsense. Criminality is still behind prostitution when it becomes legal. Swedens program is much much more effective. Generally the sensible idea to do with practices which are damaging to society is to minimise them. The Government has greater control over prostitution when it is criminalised. The statistics prove this to be true. In Sweden the level of human trafficking is 15 times less than that of Finland due to the fact that the police have a very hard policy on prostitution. It has declined rapidly since 1999 when their model came into force. The Dutch model conversely has had to be rethought. There were over 400 windows in Amsterdam until recently, now there are 80 due to the city authorities wanting to reduce the trade. The Dutch also have huge problems with trafficking and criminals making profits from the trade.

That's ridiculous considering how many in our mental health wards have come to that position through using cannabis. The so called "soft drug". I bet you that we would still be paying more out of our taxes rather than less because of drugs. It's hardly as if alcohol has been benefiting us in term of hospitals.

On the prostitution thing, don't make the mistake of thinking the Dutch are necessarily rethinking their entire policy on prostitution at a national level just because they're not allowing those windows in inner Amsterdam to be retained for that purpose; they're literally just trying to spruce the area up a bit and they don't like the sex tourism and foreign stag-parties etc; once you head out into the suburbs and the provincial towns it remains just as legal as it was - there's even a union of sex-workers.

Also - how many people in our mental health wards are there because of cannabis? Can you provide us with a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

.Basically, it says that selling sex isn't illegal, but buying it is - thus protecting the prostitute.

How does this protect the prostitute? It simply ignores them. Its aberrant, ignoring the prostitute and the act of casual commerce creating and endorsing and invisible industry as open to the abuse presently suffered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

You're right, it doesn't protect the prostitute. What I meant is that the prostitute isn't doing anything illegal, and doesn't have to worry about jailtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Advertisement