Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHO does rewiring

Options
  • 17-07-2009 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

IM GETTING REWIRING done and i need a competion cert too.Esb supply is switched off since 2005.Can i get any electrician to do the rewiring and then get a reci or ecssa sparks to certify it as esb WILL require a cert to reconnect.
    Would i save any money by just getting a local electrician from the golden pages directory , ie do non reci sparks charge less for rewiring . house size is 700 sq ft.a new consumer unit was fitted 2 years ago.
    DO i pay x amount in advance or just pay when job is finished.IS it better to go to firm that speciailzes in domestic rewiring.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

ricjoe wrote: »
    IM GETTING REWIRING done and i need a competion cert too.Esb supply is switched off since 2005.Can i get any electrician to do the rewiring and then get a reci or ecssa sparks to certify it as esb WILL require a cert to reconnect.
    Would i save any money by just getting a local electrician from the golden pages directory , ie do non reci sparks charge less for rewiring . house size is 700 sq ft.a new consumer unit was fitted 2 years ago.
    DO i pay x amount in advance or just pay when job is finished.IS it better to go to firm that speciailzes in domestic rewiring.

You need to get a RECI or Ecssa registered contractor to do the wiring & certify. They can only certify their own work not anybody elses. Most of the guys in the golden pages are registered contractors.
    You will need a cert to reconnect & MPRN number ( meter point registration number aavailable from the ESB.) You will have to pay the ESB to re-energise the installation after the rewing is done so you should go about getting the paper work for that as well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Why was the ESB disconnected?

Who fitted the new consumer unit? ( I'm assuming the power was off at this time, as its only 2 years ago? )

You'll be best getting the one electrician who can wire & certify the installation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ricjoe

an electrician fitted the consumer unit.esb knocked off power cos they said old consumer unit ,30 plus years old, was unsafe.how much do esb charge to reconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

how much do esb charge to reconnect.

Since the house has been off for more than 2 years you will actually have to apply to esb networks for a new connection, tel 1850 372 757. They could insist on a new outdoor meter box and ducting for cable.

If the power hadnt been off for over 2 years you could ring your supplier eg esb CS and they would charge to €102.15 to reconnect.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

an electrician fitted the consumer unit
    Then he should have issued you with an ETCI completion certificate.
    You will require this to get reconnected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there is a partial completion cert available, but you should really get a registered contractor to do the work. I know there are a lot of guys out there with no jobs /work, but you will get good value from a small registered contractor (who will be looking for work also). He/she can make the call on the "state" of the installation at the moment. It is not like the ESB to refuse to connect up a supply after an electrician has carried out the work and they have the correct paperwork so they had their reasons.

Advertisement