Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players to watch in the premiership 09/10

• 18-07-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

Just wondering which players people think will shine in the upcoming season. I'll get the ball rolling. I think if Eduardo can stay injury free he can be a real force next season. I really rate him very highly- probably the most natural goal scorer in the league and reckon he could bag 20+ easily if he got a good run in the side!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Fernando Torres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I would agree with Eduardo, should he stay fit and get a good run in the Arsenal team with Adebayor gone I think he could really make an impact this season, especially when you consider the players he will have providing him with chances i.e Arshavin, Walcott, Fabergas, Rosicky, Van Persie etc

from a Villa perspective im hoping for Carlos Cuellar to pull a Petrov, by which I mean after a not very impressive season to really kick it up a notch and prove all those people who rated him from his time at the old firm right and be a top defender for Villa.

itl be interesting from an Irish perspective to watch James McCarthy develop under Martinez at Wigan also.

United fans will be watching macheda but dont expect too much too soon from him, not cos he doesent have the talent but he is still very young and fergie wont be looking to use him unneccesarily in big games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jack Collison and Mark Nobel at Westham.

Stephen Ireland will have a stellar season IMHO.

McCarthy and Cattermole at Wigan.

Foley at wolves should prove he is a top top right full.

Joe Cole.
    I see him filling the Kaka role that Carletto likes to use at chelsea and if he stays fit will be a big player for them.

Valencia, he has a chance to prove he is worthy of playing for a championship winning side and I think he will grab it with both hands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Seaneh wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland will have a stellar season IMHO.

actually thats a good one itl be really interesting to see if he can continue on as well as he did last season especially with such increased competition at City if he does or dare i say it if he improves again like last Season, one of the best midfielder in the Premiership will be an Irishman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Andrei Arshavin will be brilliant in his first full season, my tip for Player of the Year and pretty much as good as a new signing for Arsenal.

Also Kevin Doyle is a brilliant signing for Wolves as well, I honestly thought a club with higher aspirations like Villa or Everton would have been in for him, I think hes a cracking player with a great attitude.

As for young guns, Insua for Liverpool should make the left back spot his own, Vela at Arsenal should get more games and Fabio, if he stays injury free, should show why hes rated even more highly than Rafael by those in the know.

Dark horse would be Fabian Delph whos on the verge of signing for Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

flahavaj wrote: »
    Also Kevin Doyle is a brilliant signing for Wolves as well, I honestly thought a club with higher aspirations like Villa or Everton would have been in for him, I think hes a cracking player with a great attitude.

Hes slow as **** tho, which will hamper him unless Wolves have 2 decent wingers who cross with great regularity.

Im going with Owen POTY is in the bag if he even plays half as much as Giggs did last yeat :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hes slow as **** tho, which will hamper him unless Wolves have 2 decent wingers who cross with great regularity.

Im going with Owen POTY is in the bag if he even plays half as much as Giggs did last yeat :P

He is the perfect partner for Ebanks-Blake though, who is a bit of a speed merchant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Seaneh wrote: »
    He is the perfect partner for Ebanks-Blake though, who is a bit of a speed merchant!

Yup but it really depends on the service, Blake can operate as a pacy loneman, Doyle needs service think Wolves survival depends on how they service the front 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

flahavaj wrote: »
    Andrei Arshavin will be brilliant in his first full season, my tip for Player of the Year and pretty much as good as a new signing for Arsenal.

As for young guns, Insua for Liverpool should make the left back spot his own, Vela at Arsenal should get more games and Fabio, if he stays injury free, should show why hes rated even more highly than Rafael by those in the know.

Dark horse would be Fabian Delph whos on the verge of signing for Villa.

A few good shouts. I think vela got badly injured playing for Mexico there last week.

Fabio really impressed me the few times he played. Definitely see him starting a lot more this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mentioned it in the FF thread but I think this is N'Zogbia's season. Wigan need someone to replace Valencia. He won't be playing left back as he did most of last season. I think he's a very talented player and Martinez should get the best out of him.

Agree about Joe Cole.

I think Berbatov will step it up this season too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Fabian Delph (whoever he signs for)

Daniel Fox (New Birmingham full back, class act)

Jack Rodwell (Everton defender)

Andrew Surman (Wolves midfielder)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have a feeling Fabregas is going to have a top, top season after being hampered with injuries last season.

I've always liked Joe Hart as a keeper and I think he will impress at Birmingham. Should get plenty of practice anyway. :cool:

I think Steven Fletcher looks a good buy for Owen Coyle though it's hard to know how Burnley will cope in the Premiership.

I think James Milner will step up more this season and continue to progress well under MON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Muamba at Bolton looks good, agree about Arshavin, he should prove to be something special IMO

Im reserving judgement on Doyle but hope he does well.

Jimenez should be a good signing for West Ham and i think Noble will maybe even push for a England (squad) place this year

Onouha at Man City is a cracking player that I rate highly, so I think this could be a big year for him - same goes for Zabaleta, he is a class act!

Fellani should step up a gear too for Everton, just needs to take the indiscipline out of his game

I think Spurs could have a good season and 'arry could bring out the best in Modic & maybe Huddlestone - Palacios could be another one that has a big season in him. As for Bentley, who knows....

Illunga at West Ham looked good at times last year so he could be another worth mentioning

N'Zogbia like another poster said will be far more attacking role this year (a good tip for fantasy football ;) )

Thats my tupence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Clint Dempsey at Fulham he's been getting better and better every season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bendtner will have a very productive season and surprise people.

Eduardo- my tip for top goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Yuri Zhirkov, Daniel Sturridge, Deco and Shevchenko.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I reckon Arshavin will be a huge player for Arsenal this season, started to show his class towards the end of this season after settling down and getting back to fitness.

A full pre-season should bring out the best in him.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It'll be interesting to see how the new South Americans will do i.e. That new Da Silva gut at Sunderland and Christian Benitez at Birmingham.

Immediately thought of Ireland from the thread title. He was the most consistent player in the league last season imo and although I'm a United fan would like to see him do well (and come back to the Irish team).

Think on United that Nani will have a big season if he gets a consistent run of games, same with Rooney who will have to take the team on his shoulders a few times imo if we are going to win anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Nani
    Seamus Coleman
    Keith Fahey
    Tomas Rosicky
    Steven Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

i'm guessing it's safe to say nani, now that bendtner's been mentioned. I'd back him to be 2nd or 3rd top assister at the end of the season. Maybe a few goals thrown in too. Also, arshavin's probably a safe bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Lucas.Reckon he could easily be Masch's midfield partner for the season and with the gradual weight he has put on and now being used to the style of football i fully expect him to deliver on his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Modric, Zhirkov, Ireland, Sturridge, Jo, Doyle, Ebanks Blake, Milner, Steven Fletcher, Nani(!), Tevez(obv), Christian Benítez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yuri Zhirkov, Daniel Sturridge, Deco and Shevchenko.

Shevchenko??? What? A big shout there. You'll be lucky to see him at chelsea at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Sheva's finished, would be shocked if he starts a game this year. I reckon Valencia at United, Eduardo/Arshavin and Rosicky at Arsenal, Zhirkov at Chelsea, Modric at Spurs i expect big things from, Jo at Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Robert Green to take James' spot while Evans-Blanke gets his third 20 goal season, if not top scorer award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For United, I'd say

Nani
    Anderson
    Rooney

will all have big seasons.

Elsewhere,
    I expect

Adebayor to drive City up the table
    Van Persie to fill the gap and show his class again
    Joe Cole to make a big return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Glenn Johnson to have big impact, Arshavin, at Wolves Kightly and Ebanks-Blake could surprise some I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Michael Owen.

I'm not a manchester united supporter by any means but if he stays injury free it may prove a very shrewd signing. Its a free transfer so it doesnt represent a huge gamble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

If Seb Bassong leaves us , and heads back to the Prem, then I fully expect him to be up there for young PFA award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Tosic & Owen @ Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh Campbell will do quite well I think, I think he'll hit around 10-12 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

from a Unite dpoint of view - i'll be looking for Fabio, Nani, Anderson and, hopefully, Ljajic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I reckon Fabio will be one to watch at United. Rafael won't get as much game-time I reckon because of the competition for the RB position. Could see him play up the wing actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Modric & Lennon at spurs.
    Santa-Cruz to have a much better season this year.
    and Berbatov at united to do much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Jo-Everton, Vermaelen-Arsenal, Zhirkov-Chelsea and lets not forget the forgotten child - Keane. I expect Keane to bag 20+ goals in the League this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wayne Rooney, Ebanks Blake, Jo, Zhirkov, Joe Cole, Torres, Jimmy Bullard

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

I'd say Owen at united could surprise a lot of people, I mean his form at newcastle wasn't great but he was playing in a poor side, playing with united and if he stays injury, he could prove to be a great bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Dos Santos
    Eduardo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Christian Benitez
    Jack Rodwell
    Sylvan Ebanks Blake
    Michael Kightly
    Alex
    Jack Collison (and Tomkins and WH)
    Palacios
    Berbatov