Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you want, What you are getting and what you got

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

I fully endorse this thread. Could see some interesting stuff from the "wants" instead of the grounded realities so common on this board.

Eh a whole new build :p Will be ordering the bulk of it next week.

Anyway the somewhat interesting bits.

Sapphire 4890 Toxic (crossfire eh eventually)

Gigabyte Odin 800w psu
    http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B94467&showold=#productTop
    Some interesting features which i will never use, will have to turn off the LEDs, but its a nice matt black to fit in with the rest of the case :p.

Coolermaster 690 Pure
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/1VOohozXyHyeFt/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=27291&agid=631&apop=0prodID=B94467&showold=#productTop4467&showold=#productTop
    Lovely black interior :D i get rather nerdy about this stuff. Will have to swap the blue fans for green revoltec ones. The problem is the mobo which is also black has loads of really bright blue leds on it :(. Im fighting a losing cause for a black and green box.

MSI 790FX-GD70 (briiiight blue LEDs :( but a nice black board :p)

The monitors i actually cant make my mind up about, im leaning towards this
    BenQ E2400HD
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/1VOohozXyHyeFt/articledetail.jsp?aid=26842&agid=367
    over the ASUS VW246H
    Not sure though, doesnt seem to be much between them. Although have always had an unfounded reservation about BenQ as the brand. Its probably the name :p

Wants:

One of these lovely little buggers: GSkill Falcon 256Gb SSD
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-004-GS&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1427

Powder coating the CM690 something silly like purple :o
    http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=36_69&osCsid=60c9bb98fd4fd932fd30615fad984202

Im really tempted about that, if i could get it all done before October (back to college) and postage doesnt cost an arm and a leg. Actually they sell cases, its a pity they dont sell you the case and paint it to your liking as you order it instead of sending them yours.

I also want Dice to forget they ever created Battlefield: Bad Company and release Battlefield 3 with no inffluence from BC. And i want Battlefield 3 now!

What i have: An old opteron 180 based pc with a 9800pro and a crappy Dell laptop (ive learned my lesson)

I hope I'm not out of line starting a thread like this, but I think BaU needs more banter!

Simple enough thread, title really explains it all. So what do you want? What have you got on order? And what lovely little toy just arrived? :P

I'll start!

I want: Intel X25-M 80GB SSD
    http://hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=26164&agid=1145

What I'm getting: Q9550 + Very loud fans
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22019&agid=398
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25725&agid=42 (40+ dB :eek:)

What I got:
    Bugger all lately :P

Oooh 45 dB fans :o How many? :p

Arent Intel bringing out yet another SSD soon? I may be imagining things.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Two of them! Going straight into the PSU so they'll be going full blast :pac:

Theres some pics of my case in the sticky incase you wanna check it out. They'll be going into the top slots in my case to work with my CPU cooler.(Wanna make sure the new cpu keeps nice and cool).

I keep telling myself I won't buy an expensive SSD but I'm doing a 72 hour week and a 48 next week.. it's almost like I'm looking for stuff to waste more bloody money on :mad:

Two of them! Going straight into the PSU so they'll be going full blast :pac:

Theres some pics of my case in the sticky incase you wanna check it out. They'll be going into the top slots in my case to work with my CPU cooler.(Wanna make sure the new cpu keeps nice and cool).

I keep telling myself I won't buy an expensive SSD but I'm doing a 72 hour week and a 48 next week.. it's almost like I'm looking for stuff to waste more bloody money on :mad:

Ah i think they would be worth buying :D I got so excited last year when i heard about SSDs but still havent got my hands on one :p.
    You are going to cave in eventually.

Ill check out that case all right.

Actually what i really bloody want is a Silverstone Temjin tj07 case (€270). My current pc has a silverstone, bloody lovely. But it just wasnt worth what i paid for it years ago. If i had too much money i would.
    http://hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=6423&agid=631&apop=1

Although the Silverstone Fortress is growing on me. €160 isnt too bad.

The case to me is only a good as whats inside it ;)

I've seen some really nice cases before but.. I dunno, maybe I'm becoming a fanboy or something. I really can't look much further then a 5/690 or HAF.

• Advertisement

The case to me is only a good as whats inside it ;)

I've seen some really nice cases before but.. I dunno, maybe I'm becoming a fanboy or something. I really can't look much further then a 5/690 or HAF.

Good point.

I love the more understated cases im a bit obsessive about black interior too :p Well having said that if it was luminous pink id probably buy it, but i just dont want logos, grills or silly NZXT style try-hard stuff. I like the brash alienware colours :P

I love this thing.

u2ufo_rot.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What I want: A 30" monitor and enough gpu horsepower to max everything out at it's native res.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

BeansBeans wrote:
    Gigabyte Odin 800w psu
    http://www.lambda-tek.com/components...ld=#productTop
    Some interesting features which i will never use, will have to turn off the LEDs, but its a nice matt black to fit in with the rest of the case :P.

Speaking from experience, you can at least turn the LEDs on and off via P-Tuner. But why oh why did Gigabyte make it so big and fugly?! Must see if there's a UI mod for it otherwise my case mod will force me to make one myself!

What I want (NEEEEEED!!): HD4950 (or 5850 or whatever its called) and the AM3 revision of the Minix.

Seeing as there's a stock issue with both (read: they don't exist yet) my case mod is a bit... stuck... at the moment :(

I can't even get my case modding materials in this country - have to order from the US (or the ripoff merchants in UK :mad: ) even for kit for a mere case window for my current rig before I flog it :(

What I got:

Sweet nothing. Okay, I got my 550W Odin GT at the beginning of the year, and a HD4830 back in '08, otherwise its been darn quiet on the western front!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

What I got recently:

AMD X720 BE, Gigabyte UD4P MB, Saphire Radeon HD4870 with a TX650 in a solid if not overly stylish Antec 300.

And at last Crysis Max Ed yesterday. Yipee! Been blaying it for 6 hours solid and ATI Catalyst says the card is at 55C? Sounds a little low, but if if is true then great! Addictive stuff! (I bought Deus Ex on Steam a couple of weeks ago, for a mostalgic trip down memory lane and to sharpen up my mouse assasination skills after quite some time out of the PC gaming loop, we are probably talking Half Life 2 long ago - man I am getting on a bit :o) )

Getting: Absolutely nothing, no more mun = No more fun.

What I want:
    Future plans, a blue ray player, a second hard disk (Only 250 GB be to save a little money and also I think the smaller ones are a tad more reliable for an OS install.) Eventually I will put in another HD4870 and a quad core perhaps.

yay I made a somewhat succesful thread^^.

Don't be suprised at those temps for the 4870 btw. My 4850x2 on full load hasn't broke 70.(Thats a furmark stress test while running prime 95 on the cpu).

I believe a full system stress is much better then stressing single parts on there own :)

Really can't wait to see my case temps when I get those new fans.( My wiring is going to be even worse though, may have to take out a drill and make some mods to my case :eek:

Could just buy a modular PSU though..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Really can't wait to see my case temps when I get those new fans.( My wiring is going to be even worse though, may have to take out a drill and make some mods to my case :eek:

Which reminds me another thing I want is the time and patience it would take to sort out the cabling in my pc.

I wish I had the guts to rip my case apart and really go to work on it. But honestly I think I was tempting fate when I first built the machine. I don't want to chance my arm drilling and cutting away at my only atx case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

yay I made a somewhat succesful thread^^.

Don't be suprised at those temps for the 4870 btw. My 4850x2 on full load hasn't broke 70.(Thats a furmark stress test while running prime 95 on the cpu).

I believe a full system stress is much better then stressing single parts on there own :)

That a relief, I though it was just because I am a sneak who hides in the bushes with cloak on and a sniper rifle in hand, rather than charging out for a little 10 on 1 machine gun action and give the GPU a proper work out ;). Although it was the first time I could hear the PC over my Noisy fridge. Usually I have to double check if it is on if the monitor is on standby.

Which reminds me another thing I want is the time and patience it would take to sort out the cabling in my pc.

Bringing back bad memories of me accidently buying an IDE DVDRW instead of Sata. :(. In fact I also have about 4 unused cables stuffed into the cable management compartment of the case because I didn't do modular. Despite that I still love my Corsair though because she is so quiet.

Quiet PSUs? I never even heard my psus fan.(Corsair 750w).

But thats only because of how loud everything else is.. it goes in order

GPU
    CPU fan
    Case fans
    PSU.

I don't think I will ever hear the fan on a PSU. I have headphones so any time the computer is on I am very much deaf to the world outside of whats directly infront of me.

Quiet PSUs? I never even heard my psus fan.(Corsair 750w).

But thats only because of how loud everything else is.. it goes in order

GPU
    CPU fan
    Case fans
    PSU.

I don't think I will ever hear the fan on a PSU. I have headphones so any time the computer is on I am very much deaf to the world outside of whats directly infront of me.

You must have never had a bad one then :)

Nope ;D

I've had whiney fans though. One in a dell, I ripped it out and slapped some wd40 on it. sorted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

What I want: A 30" monitor and enough gpu horsepower to max everything out at it's native res.
    it really is awesome.

at least 1gb of gpu ram is needed tbh; my 512 4870 struggles at times.

want:

intel ssd (2 actually)

prolly gonna get the ocz instead (just 1 for now, the second is dependant on a laptop arriving)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

What I want:

A better ATX case, a quiet one, with a big window on the side so I can see the components.
    Another OCZ vertex SSD - have one in my Macbook Pro and it's like a new machine. The loudest components of my PC so far are the hard drives!

Getting:
    On their way to me are:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
    Gigabyte MA790XT Mainboard
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    XFX HD4890 1GB

Can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Getting
    I'm was planning on buyng two ssd's this month moving house now so that willl have to wait untill next month now :(

Want
    A second GTX 260 55nm
    + EK Nickel plated waterblock for it.
    And another 240 Radiator and a couple of yate loons.

Have
    CPU:I920
    Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
    Memory : 3Gb of DDR3
    GFX : Evga 260GTX 55nm
    1000W Coolermaster modular psu
    Internal HDD's: 1x F1 1TB drive - Western Digital 320Gb
    External - 2 x F1 1TB drives in a akasa enclosure 2 x Spinpoint 500GB
    about 1300Euro's worth of watercooling bits and bobs
    Tj07 case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What I've got (mildly happy with):

Armor Case
    E8600
    4Gb Ram
    Silencer 750w
    P5n-D 750i
    4890 1GB Vapor-X
    24" Monitor

What I want:

New Case
    Q9550
    Intel Xfire board
    Better quality 24" monitor

What I've just bought:

Acer 6935G
    The 4890 to replace GTX260

I am now:

Penniless, and hungry.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Speaking from experience, you can at least turn the LEDs on and off via P-Tuner. But why oh why did Gigabyte make it so big and fugly?! Must see if there's a UI mod for it otherwise my case mod will force me to make one myself!

What I want (NEEEEEED!!): HD4950 (or 5850 or whatever its called) and the AM3 revision of the Minix.

Seeing as there's a stock issue with both (read: they don't exist yet) my case mod is a bit... stuck... at the moment :(

I can't even get my case modding materials in this country - have to order from the US (or the ripoff merchants in UK :mad: ) even for kit for a mere case window for my current rig before I flog it :(

What I got:

Sweet nothing. Okay, I got my 550W Odin GT at the beginning of the year, and a HD4830 back in '08, otherwise its been darn quiet on the western front!

Ooh you have an Odin 550? I actually think they look nice :P maybe im alone on that. I had read that the function to switch off the leds on the fans doesnt save after reboot. I assume they have updated the software to fix that?

kaimera wrote: »
    it really is awesome.

at least 1gb of gpu ram is needed tbh; my 512 4870 struggles at times.

The only problem I'd have with spending a butt load of money on a 30" monitor is that I find that once I get used to a monitor it starts to feel kinda small. When I got my 24" it looked massive (biggest monitor I had before that was a 19"). It didn't take long for that feeling to wear off and it started to look a little on the small side. I'm tempted to measure it just to make sure it hasn't shrunk. :D
    kaimera wrote: »
    intel ssd (2 actually)

prolly gonna get the ocz instead (just 1 for now, the second is dependant on a laptop arriving)

Keep an eye on adverts. I was looking to get an 128GB ocz vertex but I didn't have the €350ish for one. I managed to get two 128GB samsung ssds for €250. Sure the sequential read/writes aren't as good as the intels or the vertexs but how often do you do massive read/writes? I know I don't do it very often and even when I do, I'm usually doing something else in the background (online, watching a movie or something like that) and so I wouldn't even notice the extra wait. Hell, most of the times I'm copying to/from a memory stick or HDD so the faster speeds of the intels/vertexs wouldn't make a difference as the other device is the bottleneck.

BeansBeans wrote:
    Ooh you have an Odin 550? I actually think they look nice

I meant the LEDs. I think the Odin is gorgeous as PSUs go but the LEDs are so bright they can mess up some people's painstakingly set up coloured CCFL setups etc. Not a problem for me - the LEDs are so strong it's like already having a dark blue CCFL tube in there :D

I meant the LEDs. I think the Odin is gorgeous as PSUs go but the LEDs are so bright they can mess up some people's painstakingly set up coloured CCFL setups etc. Not a problem for me - the LEDs are so strong it's like already having a dark blue CCFL tube in there :D

Ah ya ok. I havent seen the PSU running. Just know that i dont want blue in the case. Although I might as well give in.

Out of interest does anyone know if it would be difficult to change LEDs on a board? The MSI GD70 has a few incredibly bright blue LEDs on it. Similar to what your describing with the Odin LEDs.

I have a lot of experience working with PCBs from amps and speakers and music keyboards. But have never fiddled with a mobo or an LED for that matter.

In this case, virtually impossible. The high-power LEDs on the ODINs aren't wired in; they're actually soldered in on the primary PCB in special gaps in the heatsinks! Even getting in there will kill that warranty stone dead and desoldering stuff on the PCB, even in the best of interests, is liable to mess up the PSU permanently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

What i have:
    Q6700
    Gigabyte ep45-ds3
    4gigs of 1066mhz ocz ram (running at 800mhz cause it sucks)
    650W Corsair
    Antec 300
    xfx 4870 1gb

22" 1080 screen

What i want....

Well obviously an i7 rig with dual gtx 295's would be nice but(i don't mean to sound like an uber loser) i'm pretty happy with what i have. I can run all the games i've played so far maxed out and until the point come that i can't do somat then i'll want that....

Actually i do want something! A new isp stupid eircom!
    just for the sake of it i would like p180/182(they are well cool)

And i'm getting:
    what's coming for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The only problem I'd have with spending a butt load of money on a 30" monitor is that I find that once I get used to a monitor it starts to feel kinda small. When I got my 24" it looked massive (biggest monitor I had before that was a 19"). It didn't take long for that feeling to wear off and it started to look a little on the small side. I'm tempted to measure it just to make sure it hasn't shrunk. :D

Keep an eye on adverts. I was looking to get an 128GB ocz vertex but I didn't have the €350ish for one. I managed to get two 128GB samsung ssds for €250. Sure the sequential read/writes aren't as good as the intels or the vertexs but how often do you do massive read/writes? I know I don't do it very often and even when I do, I'm usually doing something else in the background (online, watching a movie or something like that) and so I wouldn't even notice the extra wait. Hell, most of the times I'm copying to/from a memory stick or HDD so the faster speeds of the intels/vertexs wouldn't make a difference as the other device is the bottleneck.
    You'd need 2*30" but then you'll find that 2 isn't right and 3 is better (my housemate currently has that problem! wants another 30" to complement the other 2)

the 128gb ssd is over kill for the min; a 60 is perfect for the OS drive in my gaming rig; thats the plan anyway; obviously I'd need more if it was a laptop but even then in a wee tablet netbook 80gb would be enough for me tbh

Well obviously an i7 rig with dual gtx 295's would be nice but(i don't mean to sound like an uber loser)

I believe most people would consider you more of a loser if you actually bought an i7 and 2 295s;)

• Advertisement

In this case, virtually impossible. The high-power LEDs on the ODINs aren't wired in; they're actually soldered in on the primary PCB in special gaps in the heatsinks! Even getting in there will kill that warranty stone dead and desoldering stuff on the PCB, even in the best of interests, is liable to mess up the PSU permanently :(

Thats a bit of a bugger. I would guess the mobo would be the same. Although im scared of PC PSUs anyway theyre a different story to what im used to.

Great thread ill say again. :p its bringing out the obsessive nerd in me that isnt far below the surface.

Advertisement