Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gort

Options
  • 18-07-2009 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

why is the main road thru Gort a total shambles, and not just recent as I have been driving up there now and again for the last 10 + years. but the last week made a few trips and the main road all the way through the town is just

LOL

have Galway any county council ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Yes. To whatever the question was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

xp90 wrote: »
    Yes. To whatever the question was :)

have they heard of tarmac by any chance?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, Gort will be bypassed by the M18 motorway next year. Have you seen the construction work on that project? It's flying along!:)

But they do need to improve the surface through the town. I don't know if there'll be any funding left for this following An Bord Snip Nua.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Sure didn't Gort Chamber of Commerce erect a sign apologising for the state of the town. Things must be at desperation stages for them to do that. Agree the condition of the main road through the town is a disgrace. Has the newly elected councillor for the town Gerry Finnerty been vocal about this since he got elected? Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Is there a worse road linking two cities in Ireland (Limerick & Galway)? I've seen numerous cars bottoming out going through the town (and not just the boy racers).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I wonder did they leave the surface like that so the M18 would go ahead last year. Anyway the M18 should be done for the summer next year.

I usually bypass the main street by taking a left before coming in from the southern side, then right, left, right and come out at that tight corner at the north of Gort. Does anyone else take this route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Ranleth wrote: »
    Is there a worse road linking two cities in Ireland (Limerick & Galway)? I've seen numerous cars bottoming out going through the town (and not just the boy racers).

Yes the N20 from Cork-Limerick is 10 times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

tech2 wrote: »
    I wonder did they leave the surface like that so the M18 would go ahead last year. Anyway the M18 should be done for the summer next year.

I usually bypass the main street by taking a left before coming in from the southern side, then right, left, right and come out at that tight corner at the north of Gort. Does anyone else take this route?

Yeah we do but sometimes we don't take that last right and head out by Kilamoran and you come out on the Galway road, don't have to go through Ardrahan, you come out near to Kilcolgan. I'd only advise it if you know the area like the back of your hand (my Dad is originally from Kilamoran so we know the way inside out! Handy for a toilet break at the granny's when it's a drive from Limerick!).
    And I swear, all of those back arse roads are in better shape than the main road through Gort...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

What is the story with the growth of boy racers in Gort in the last two years? Is there really nothing to do but sit in your car with the engine running?

There seems to be a group of about 8 that sit outside Aldi, up by the entrance to the school on the Ennis road and down by the square. I personally believe that they have elevated Gort to the top 3 worst towns to live in in Galway. The shocking water and awful road I can live with but these tossers are just a menace. They should be warned for breaching the peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Was in Gort a few weeks ago, really shocked by the litter everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

I heard somewhere (can't remember where now) that the road through Gort will be redone once the by-pass is finished.

As for the boy racers, it's been a lot more than 2 years! Used to bother me too but they don't actually cause any trouble anymore

Advertisement