Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing poker in London

Options
  • 18-07-2009 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been living in London a while now, and I'm starting to miss playing live poker. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent cardroom. I'd definitely be more interested in a cash game than a tourney.

I've done a decent amount of googling, and it seems like the Vic, the Gutshot and the Western are the big names, but they don't give much information on their websites, to the extent that I don't really even know where they are, or what games are on offer. They seem more interested in getting me to play online.

I'd be looking for something like the fitz/jackpot 1/2 holdem or round of each games, certainly nothing bigger (and preferably just as loose :D ). Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I played in the gutshot all the time when i was there. there was a .25/.50 game for those that wanted and normally about 6 tables of 1/2 which were all soft. 1/2 PLO with a live straddle broke out as well and was pretty deep.

they were nowhere near as loose but just as soft. First time i ever played there i min raised to 4 pre and everyone folded. an orbit later the straddle was put on and i fold utg +1 and it gets folded around to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rookie447

I heard that Empire leicester square is quite good.

But some cash games are self-dealt, which totally sucks !

I beleive that the Vic is supposed to be the best place for Cash Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

.25/.50? :eek:
    There must have been some serious raking going on to make it worth their while...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Rookie447 wrote: »
    I heard that Empire leicester square is quite good.

But some cash games are self-dealt, which totally sucks !

I beleive that the Vic is supposed to be the best place for Cash Games.

Empire is only place I'd touch.

I've only seen self deal before 6pm and after 6am.
    It's very offputting when a dealer slides over to trap 1 and hands the cards to the button but there's so much value it's unbelievable.Drunk tourists literally walking off the street to play a game they had seen on T.V.

Vic has great game selection but don't expect any value below £5-£10
    (20 BB Raise oop is standard)

Western is empty but for a dealers choice game mainly made up of its owners.

Speilers can be fun if you don't mind explaining the 5 card rule to hood rats.

Gutshot or International is run by Derek Kelly and Barry Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

When was the last time anyone was at the Gutshot? As I'm fairly certain it's called something else now and in a new location.

Empire I think must have improved since I was last there.

What part of London are you based in?

I would check out the hendon mob site which lists London card clubs you can get phone numbers and call up to find out the story.

IMHO though the Vic is the best place to go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RichardB2

The Vic on the Edgeware road
    has by far the biggest selection of cash games available
    however the lower stake tables are a strange mix
    of over betting pre-flop donks & grinding TAGs.

The Empire on Leicester Square provides the best value games
    by attracting a regular flow of tourists & post pub revellers.

Gutshot is now deceased
    but Barry Martin & his crew have simply relocated to the new
    International Club on East Road, N1.
    The typical player is "creative" but table stacks can be small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Cheers lads,

I'm less than half an hour from Edgeware Rd and Leicester Square, so I'll drop into the Vic or Empire sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

The 1/2 NL tables in the Empire on a Saturday night are good fun ;)

They organise tournaments every day at 2 30pm and 7/8pm too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I'm thinking of heading to London for a couple of weeks. I'm planning on playing a tonne of poker while there, cash games for the most part from 2/4 to 5/10 levels NL or PLO.

Any club in particular good for these sort of games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

luckylucky wrote: »
    I'm thinking of heading to London for a couple of weeks. I'm planning on playing a tonne of poker while there, cash games for the most part from 2/4 to 5/10 levels NL or PLO.

Vic for them levels

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

luckylucky wrote: »

The Vic I suppose if you're into that sort of thing

This might be worth a squint http://www.thebuffaloclub.co.uk/events.events-schedule

The old reliable is http://www.thehendonmob.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=297318#297318

Advertisement