Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football's financial 'peak'

• 18-07-2009 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Did this peak just before the recession?; Are we now going to see things quieten down again (extract Real Madrid and rich Arab sheikh's from this for a moment...!). I read something recently which stated that high-earners are going to be taxed the most, as much as 50% in the UK as a measure to boost econmies. Is this the first nail in the coffin for the wealth seen in the game in recent years?

Nothing lasts forever, after all, and we all knew that the way the game was/is run cannot go on forever.

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If it is then its only a lull, I don't have any figures but I imagine there was a brief slow down in the early 90s before things kicked on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kevster wrote: »

Nothing lasts forever

And we both know hearts can change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect I'm glad I do not know which no doubt cheesy song Des just referenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

...yeh, what song is that? Can I ask you guys if the amount of money these players get nowadays depresses you a bit? Im going to be moving over to York in a few weeks and will probably get a season ticket for Hull City (nearest Prem. League club) - or perhaps The Minstermen! (York City!) - but the amount of money is just outrageous at this point.

The French league still has that salary cap, dont they?

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Im going to be moving over to York in a few weeks and will probably get a season ticket for Hull City (nearest Prem. League club) - or perhaps The Minstermen! (York City!)

Great to see Irish fans considering supporting real clubs. ;)

The money probably has peaked in Britain, hence the EPL rush to globalize and sell the brands in Asia before China etc develop their own loyalties.

• Advertisement

I see you're a Bohs fan yourself!? How could you not support York City - to be fair - when they play at the Kit Kat Crescent!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KitKat_Crescent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

mike65 wrote: »
    I suspect I'm glad I do not know which no doubt cheesy song Des just referenced.
    November Rain :p (i think)

Although those cheese laden lyrics could no doubt come from a multitude of pop songs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I see you're a Bohs fan yourself!? How could you not support York City - to be fair - when they play at the Kit Kat Crescent!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KitKat_Crescent

When I move there I'll munch KitKats with the best of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

...yeh, what song is that? Can I ask you guys if the amount of money these players get nowadays depresses you a bit? Im going to be moving over to York in a few weeks and will probably get a season ticket for Hull City (nearest Prem. League club) - or perhaps The Minstermen! (York City!) - but the amount of money is just outrageous at this point.

jesus

ive just looked at the st prices for hull :eek:

thank christ for the villa

cheapest season tickets in all the land

What cost are they - for hull and villa - ?

• Advertisement

What cost are they - for hull and villa - ?

cheapest full priced adult ST:

hull €446
    villa €353

blackburn win at €230 tho, didnt realise they were so cheap

mustnt be selling

Jesus...230? - That's nuts. You get 19 games with a season ticket, so that's awesome value from Blackburn. Maybe they're still running on the 15 million they got for Shearer all those years ago!

it really is a phenomenal price alright, you can get it even cheaper for one of their stands, but that doesnt include the games against the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Jesus...230? - That's nuts. You get 19 games with a season ticket, so that's awesome value from Blackburn. Maybe they're still running on the 15 million they got for Shearer all those years ago!

Not to mention their coffers were also topped up by David Bentley to Spurs

And now Santa Cruz off to Citeh that made them a cool profit of around £15 million

Excellent price for a season ticket though

Advertisement