Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton Rail line

Options
  • 18-07-2009 9:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I was going out the Mill Road in Midleton yesterday and was held up in traffic at the railway crossing. The Railway lights were flashing & a train engine passes ( no carriages)
    When is the service opening ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Near the end of the month, that was driver training you saw

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

The oficial opening is on the 30th July, at 1pm in midleton. The first train running from kent station to midleton at 12:15

I have heard reports that some idiots aren't stopping when the barriers come down and are causing huge problems for the drivers. This from someone living near the line.

MC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They should plough on. Natural selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

dahamsta wrote: »
    seems only fair.

Midleton Cork training run waiting just outside Glounthaune station for the Cobh/Cork train to pass :
    3762648110_982e1582f0.jpg

As above with Cobh/Cork train passing in background:
    3762647322_9ccf186852.jpg

2 videos:

Midleton/Cork training run waiting just outside Glounthaune station for the Cork/Cobh train to pass, Cork/Cork train visible in background

Midleton/Cork training run moves off towards Glounthaune station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Does anyone know how much a return to the city is going to cost? Can't book them online when I tried.

Thinking of hitting up the distillery with a few of the lads, having a pint in the town and then back to Cork for last call :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

dahamsta wrote: »

they are not really worth the damage they cause to the front of the train tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

thefloss wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much a return to the city is going to cost? Can't book them online when I tried.

Thinking of hitting up the distillery with a few of the lads, having a pint in the town and then back to Cork for last call :D

Think it's around €6.50 and €4 something oneway.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

That's cheaper than the bus isn't it? About time too - they've been going on about the new rail line opening since I was in primary school which was 10 years ago. Did anyone go to the opening? Any feedback?

...on a side note I wonder where the kids are going drinking these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Aspiration wrote: »
    That's cheaper than the bus isn't it? About time too - they've been going on about the new rail line opening since I was in primary school which was 10 years ago. Did anyone go to the opening? Any feedback?

...on a side note I wonder where the kids are going drinking these days :D
    Was going to go on thursday, but i was tooo ****ing tired. I'll go to the opening of the limerick to galway line

• Advertisement

Didn't go but Dial Up Dempsey Got on the train they took pictures he got off was driven to Carrig and did the same, reason: as the train was not in service they weren't allow to carry passangers, F'ing pathetic, but very apt for the tosser who was opening it.

Train is good though, the journey is smooth and the drivers are feeling like heros... Not my words, the words of one who has taken the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Great to see this line opening after all the years of promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Hope it will get the support from Midleton commuters now that it deserves.

parkerpen wrote: »
    Hope it will get the support from Midleton commuters now that it deserves.

agree, along with carrigtwohill who share the line....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've notice that there's only about half as many cars parked in Glounthaune now. I wonder if that's a fluke or are people now using the Midleton line.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

Great to see it up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

What about places like Ballincollig, Blarney and Carrigaline now?

Geog wrote: »
    What about places like Ballincollig, Blarney and Carrigaline now?

Bomb them out of existence? Probably the best thing to do is forget they ever existed and get on with our lives... :)

Bomb them out of existence? Probably the best thing to do is forget they ever existed and get on with our lives... :)

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I took the train to Cork on Friday, they are charging for parking at the station in Carrigtwohill in a rural town where there are no parking charges, the same in Midleton , again a town that has signs up on the way in to say there is free parking to encourage shoppers into the town to spend their money. There were 6 cars in the car park at Carrigtwohill pm Friday.
    I think they would be better off to drop the parking charges there & encourage people to use the service.
    It is still a 10 miute walk to the city center after you get off the train ( in the rain)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Parking charges kind of defeats the purpose of encoraging people to use public transport. Perhaps those who use trains regularly should qualify for a permit to park at the stations.

Advertisement