Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Living Room

Options
  • 18-07-2009 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

I heard it was closed for a refurb until mid July, is it back open?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

As long as whatever will be put there will be better than what we know as the Living Room. Awful dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

As long as whatever will be put there will be better than what we know as the Living Room. Awful dump.

It was open to the invited few last night and its open to all tonght.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I haven't been yet but apparently it was fine the way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The only reason I used to go there was to watch football matches. I hope they've kept the big screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Always thought that place smelled like urine. Hope they have sorted that out.

Always did good breakfast though.

• Advertisement

The trouble always was that the old Living Room triedto be a student superpub and a nightclub in one. It failed at both. It was always a pit. The downstairs, where anything ever happened, was overcrowded and the upstaird although big and roomy, had no atmosphere whatever. You ended up with stairs and a large open area (where there should have been dancing) that was just dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I remember having a pint of Guinness there on a saturday night that would have to be the worst I've ever tasted, by some distance.

I never saw the attraction to the place myself. That people actually queued to get in to it left me dumbstruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

The trouble always was that the old Living Room triedto be a student superpub and a nightclub in one.

I don't know where people get this idea of "student super pub". Students don't usaually drink in pubs much, they go straight to clubs. I don't think there is much money in being a "student super pub" in galway when the college bar cant even turn a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

I seen an ad for a place called Kellys Bar on Bridge St. in this weeks Advertiser - Is this what the Living Room is now called?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Seemingly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i was in there lastnite, they changed it a far bit, the style now is kinda an old mans country pub with the little cubicles and such, if you can image a modern neachtains type place ur not far off. Thats where the similarities end im afraid. Upstairs wasnt open lastnite, so did see that.

I never liked these super pubs cause there fake and full of fake people, to me they summed up the celtic tiger cp/halo crowd, were they spent the night talking about work, salaries, houses etc whilst getting ****-faced drunk and generally being assholes. Little has changed. Still the same crowd.

its only redeeming quality for me is the smoking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't know where people get this idea of "student super pub". Students don't usaually drink in pubs much, they go straight to clubs. I don't think there is much money in being a "student super pub" in galway when the college bar cant even turn a profit.
    Well, they might not all have been students but the Living Room certainly used to get a lot of people between the ages of 18-25. Also, I know it's going off-topic but does the UCG college bar seriously not turn a profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Always thought that place smelled like urine. Hope they have sorted that out.

Always did good breakfast though.

:confused:

It smelled like urine but you liked the breakfast??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Did'nt they close on numerous occassions for "refurbishments" even tho it was well known that they had rat problems a good few times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

It can stay closed as far as I'm concerned. Full of the orange ladies that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

ever been to quinns in dublin on a wed or thurs night?? galway has 2 colleges, quinns has pats and dcu nearby, quinns makes buckets of cash off being a student super pub...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Orange parade, I love that phrase! Agreed though, same crowd unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Fibbers do alright, as does the Hole in the Wall.

The College Bar not making a profit would probably be something to do with it being an atmosphere-less restaurant that happens to serve overpriced pints. Hate the place. The location is also pretty crap; unless you're coming from Corrib Village you're basically heading away from town to get there.
    Orange parade, I love that phrase! Agreed though, same crowd unfortunately.
    They were all the rage up in East Belfast last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fracture wrote: »
    Did'nt they close on numerous occassions for "refurbishments" even tho it was well known that they had rat problems a good few times?

Two legged or four?

Compare the College Bar at NUIG with the Old Bar at UCC in Cork. Massive difference, the first being an empty place at all times, the second being absolutely jammed most of the student year. Its like chalk and cheese. The Old Bar at UCC is further from the town centre than Galways one and yet its always fuller. And yes, its also a pub that "a place to start off" on a night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

ever been to quinns in dublin on a wed or thurs night?? galway has 2 colleges, quinns has pats and dcu nearby, quinns makes buckets of cash off being a student super pub...

Quinns was a GAA pub more than a student 'super' pub, a few students on said evenings but Fagan's and the Ivy House get the majority of that crowd. Sure Quinns have only been getting students in the past 3/4 years or so(when they were doing up McCarthys they had to go somewhere), and fair ****s to them with there cheap beer!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Compare the College Bar at NUIG with the Old Bar at UCC in Cork. Massive difference, the first being an empty place at all times, the second being absolutely jammed most of the student year. Its like chalk and cheese. The Old Bar at UCC is further from the town centre than Galways one and yet its always fuller. And yes, its also a pub that "a place to start off" on a night.

You should have been in UCG in the 90's when the college bar was part of the Aula, and the head of a pint of stout was yellow. Really sh*t place in terms of fixtures and fittings, but I had some great times there. I haven't been back to the college bar in a while, but since it moved, it seems to have lost a lot of its uniqueness, and seems now to be just another soulless drinking parlour.

As a students pub, the Hole in the Wall is way better than the College Bar. Decent drink promotions, lively atmosphere, looks like a proper pub etc. Not like the CB full of **** sitting at tables with their pints of Bulmers. And what's the story with Galway Hooker being one of the dearest pints there? Local ales in London are usually the cheapest drink you can get in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

'Not like the CB full of **** sitting at tables with their pints of Bulmers.'

what the ****?

'Not like the CB full of **** sitting at tables with their pints of Bulmers.'

what the ****?
    Sorry, do you want ice with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

JustMary wrote: »
    Two legged or four?

one legged :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

As a students pub, the Hole in the Wall is way better than the College Bar. Decent drink promotions, lively atmosphere, looks like a proper pub etc. Not like the CB full of **** sitting at tables with their pints of Bulmers. And what's the story with Galway Hooker being one of the dearest pints there? Local ales in London are usually the cheapest drink you can get in a pub.

Galway Hooker is more expensive cos it's brewed in a small brewery up in Roscommon town of all places. Personally I don't like it, nor do I like any of the draught beers in the Hole in the Wall, muck. Great spot for the students though, always mental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

malice_ wrote: »
    Well, they might not all have been students but the Living Room certainly used to get a lot of people between the ages of 18-25. Also, I know it's going off-topic but does the UCG college bar seriously not turn a profit?
    The word around the campus last year was that the college bar lost 50,000 in the previous academic year! If there is something on to bring in a crowd then there usually is a decent crowd in there. Its like people feel they need an excuse to go other then just to drink and socialize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sparkles

Did anyone else see the spooky wall of Communion Photos in that new Kelly's Bar?? WTF??! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Sparkles wrote: »
    Did anyone else see the spooky wall of Communion Photos in that new Kelly's Bar?? WTF??! :confused:

Yep - sat down there with a mate early yesterday - freaked me out so much that we moved

Advertisement