Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Living Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The word around the campus last year was that the college bar lost 50,000 in the previous academic year! If there is something on to bring in a crowd then there usually is a decent crowd in there. Its like people feel they need an excuse to go other then just to drink and socialize.
    It's years since I was there so things have no doubt changed. The novelty factor when it first opened its doors was probably enough to draw the crowds at that time.
    As Chris_533976 said, it's probably a place you go into for a couple of pints to get your beer coat on before heading on over the Salmon Weir bridge into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Fibbers do alright, as does the Hole in the Wall.

The College Bar not making a profit would probably be something to do with it being an atmosphere-less restaurant that happens to serve overpriced pints. Hate the place. The location is also pretty crap; unless you're coming from Corrib Village you're basically heading away from town to get there.

+1

I hate the college bar. Have only been in there 2 or 3 times during my 4 years of college so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Did anyone else see the spooky wall of Communion Photos in that new Kelly's Bar?? WTF??!

They are actually photos of the bar staff working in there, as a gimmick you may be asked one day to match the photo with the staff member to win a free pint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I went there for a pint the other night. What's the story with the pukey green on the outside? I know it's supposed to be Kelly's Green, but ugh... anyway. I'm not sure what they are trying to do with the place, but I preferred it before. Have they gotten rid of upstairs too? No toilets in the back bar is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

skelliser wrote: »
    its only redeeming quality for me is the smoking area.

Do they have a new smoking area in there? Was in there Sunday night for a while and didn't see one besides out the front door.

• Advertisement

s_carnage wrote: »
    Do they have a new smoking area in there? Was in there Sunday night for a while and didn't see one besides out the front door.
    There was one near the seating area at the back on the ground floor I think. As you went up the stairs it was down to the right past the cigarette machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

[-0-] wrote: »
    I went there for a pint the other night. What's the story with the pukey green on the outside? I know it's supposed to be Kelly's Green, but ugh... anyway. I'm not sure what they are trying to do with the place, but I preferred it before. Have they gotten rid of upstairs too? No toilets in the back bar is annoying.

Looks like they have gone to great lengths to make it look like it's about a 100 years old on the outside. Haven't been inside it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rdow

It's CRAP!! i wasn't mad about The Living Room but OMG bring it back if Kelly's is the alternative!! Went on Sat, nearly passed out from the stink of paint, they had faint elevator music in the background, absolutely NO atmosphere, and so packed out it took an age to get near the bar, shooting themselves in the foot they are. I'd say it was like being at a wake but wakes are alot more fun. Oh and doileys on the stools? My granny's granny wouldnt even go for that AH. What were they thinking, and completely agree with the puke green comment, why would someone PAY for that??

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Was in Kelly's earlier and have to agree that it is so much about nothing. The paint on the outside is vomit, the inside is so inane that you wouldn't want to spend more than 10 minutes there. Even the georgeous looking staff there wouldn't tempt you to stay. It wasn't a great venue to begin with but it is much worse now. I think upstairs is a disco according to some of the posters on the wall. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ofthebeststuff

Yargh. I always tried to veto The Living Room on nights out and I can't say "Kelly's" looks much better. I always thought the place had a strange crappy energy and couldn't account for the popularity of the place. Bad voodoo.

Of course it will be packed for a few weeks because novelty is everything but I wonder what it will do after that?

• Advertisement

Of course it will be packed for a few weeks because novelty is everything but I wonder what it will do after that?
    The students will be back in a few weeks and it will continue to be packed I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Fracture wrote: »
    Did'nt they close on numerous occassions for "refurbishments" even tho it was well known that they had rat problems a good few times?

That place was full of "rats" of the two legged variety out of their bins on red bull.:D
    Take more than a refurb to be rid of them

**Lesson to self
    Read all previous posts before posting

So will Gigantic be any good there or is the place just not conducive to a good night out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So will Gigantic be any good there or is the place just not conducive to a good night out?

I think the lads will be pkaying in new venue upstairs and not in the main bar, is thats the case then it will be a good night, if its in the bar, dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Here's a picture of it:

3749831607_0fd52b99a3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Fist fox's goes down the retro route, now the livingroom...

/me facepalms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Looks like they're attempting the Freaney's look :pac:

One of my mates was in there and he said the inside is very harshly lit (as in, like your kitchen!), like you'd see in Freaney's or Murphys or the likes, which seems odd if it's the younger crowd they aim to attract.... the ladies won't like the bright lights highlighting their tasches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

What's the food like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

dinneenp wrote: »
    Here's a picture of it:

That looks a LOT better than the Living Room did. Is it a pub inside or one of these awful trendy bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

The venue upstairs has unbelievable potential. Hope they use it wisely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Here's a picture of it:

It looks like it should have a dog on a string tied up outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Here's a picture of it:

Outside of it looks pretty authentic in that shot.
    I believe the management were trying to change the crowd (for whatever reason; a few were already mentioned) so I suppose if your sentiment is "I preferred it before" then they are achieving their aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

As long as whatever will be put there will be better than what we know as the Living Room. Awful dump.

i think its one of the nicest bars in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Was in there last night, I quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

better than the living room.... by a country mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 onmaki

the day of the living room is over.... they have embraced the resession..! simple as that...

i popped in and think its still ****e, just less so...:pac:

you cant construct what freeney's has...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

m83 wrote: »
    The venue upstairs has unbelievable potential. Hope they use it wisely.

True. It was hoppin' in there last night for Substance! Will be a great night for Alternative music in Galway if the amount of people that turned up last night turn up every night......

Here's a picture of it:

Looks like some old fella's pub you'd go past in Kiltimagh. Trying a bit too hard to be retro IMO. Will give it a try one of the nights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

What's the food like?

The menu is the exact same as the Living Room. Absolutely no difference. Prices are still a wee bit expensive although their steak sandwich is still to die for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dysfunct

It looks stupid imo,
    went in for food not long after it reopened and it stank of paint so we didnt stay.

its like the designer got a bit confused between old and blended in elements of new stuff where they ran out of money...

they should have taken the opportunity to do something with the menu instead of just leaving it the same...

Advertisement