Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Living Room

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

I don't know how they managed it, but there's even less room downstairs than before. I'll give the upstairs another chance, but I don't hold much hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

It's not really their fault it stinks of paint. My local was just done up and it stank of paint for a good while but they're not going to miss out on 1-2 weeks of business just because of a smell of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

It's not really their fault it stinks of paint. My local was just done up and it stank of paint for a good while but they're not going to miss out on 1-2 weeks of business just because of a smell of paint.

First impressions are important so I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

I don't know how they managed it, but there's even less room downstairs than before. I'll give the upstairs another chance, but I don't hold much hope.

eh, maybe the fact that there's now toilets downstairs where there were none before has something to do with it?
    They are clearly trying to change the whole crowd and vibe of the place. Obviously its going to be wedged as usual this week but it should settle into a nicer, more chilled groove over the next while. Fair play and good luck, the old crowd it attracted was an awful shower of Sh*te.

The venue upstairs is a great room, hopefully theres some good bands and acts lined up to make it a proper alternative to Roisin's at last... Gigantic has rocked in there the past 2 saturday nights....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Despite the fact that I think that they put too much effort in trying to make the place look like it hadn't been touched since the 1970's on the outside I have to say I like the job they did inside. The fixtures and fittings are too new and shiny to allow the place the character theyre going for but that'll come with time. The communion pics wall is a bit unnerving though, but the pint of Guinness was savage due to the new lines they've installed no doubt. If they manage to keep a good pint going and keep the old crowd out of the place it could be a right goer! All in all I'm happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

citycentre wrote: »

The venue upstairs is a great room, hopefully theres some good bands and acts lined up to make it a proper alternative to Roisin's at last...

My thoughts exactly!

I haven't been in the place yet because I'm temporarily away from Galway, but if the venue is of as much use as I hear it is, I don't care how the place is decorated. What difference does that make when there's quality bands/DJ's playing it?? I'm not going to stand there in the middle of live set shouting my opinion on the paint job into someone's ear.

I for one am dead excited about a new venue in Galway. Roisins is a great spot and all, (not just being biased because I used to work there), but it did get to the stage where they can't cater for all the acts looking for Galway gigs.

And Galway being not a massive place, it usually gets to the stage where the promoters work together as opposed to treating each other like competition. That's what I like to think anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

I popped in there last Thurs for the upstairs part, really liked it. Very much looking forward to checking out gigs there..

www.galwaynews.ie
    Tue 11th August 2009
    Exterior colour is controversial

Kellys_Bar.jpg

LOVE it or hate it, the owners of Kelly’s Bar on Bridge Street are planning on hanging onto the new-look frontage to the premises, after lodging a planning application with Galway City Council.

David and Joan Kelly of Castlebank Taverns have sought permission for the retention and completion of the new ‘sea green’ shopfront, the signage, lighting and alterations to the opening of the bar, which was formerly the Living Room.

A decision on the application is expected within the next month.

Kelly’s opened its doors on July 17 – almost...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

have sought permission for the retention and completion of the new ‘sea green’ shopfront

Ah. You gotta love the Irish planning system, build it and worry about permission later!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 murchadh

What have they done to the Lisheen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

murchadh wrote: »
    What have they done to the Lisheen?
    Have you been in a time warp for the last ten years? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

malice_ wrote: »
    Have you been in a time warp for the last ten years? :pac:

He was probably better off :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I hate this 'we'll change it and then look for planning' crap. If I were the council I'd make them put it back as it was, then apply for planning to change it. Would teach the chancing buggers a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

I hate this 'we'll change it and then look for planning' crap. If I were the council I'd make them put it back as it was, then apply for planning to change it. Would teach the chancing buggers a lesson.

If they applied first, it would be another 6 months before they could touch the place. You have to know someone in planning to get anything done. It's sad but thats how it works in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ontheway

I think the new look is an absolute farse . Every time I drive past Kelly's I think to myself, what sort of redneck decision put that together. A city centre pub that targets young people should be young and trendy, there is nothing kitch about the new look. If I was walking around any other Irish city and I saw a pub that looked like that, I'd keep walking. Yes we are in the West of Ireland, but this country spent way too long being backwards in the eyes of other nations and the boom years helped us somewhat depart from this. Let's not go back there, giving yanks resons to call us leprechauns.

There are plenty other more contemporary and unique stereotypes that they could have bought in to instead of taking a place that, mind you wasn't that great, but was more naughties than this and sending it back a good 50 years.

Popped my head in the door, and won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

ontheway wrote: »
    A city centre pub that targets young people

Are they though?

Are they though?
    Well of course I could be wrong, but I always considered the Living Room crowd young (early - mid 20s), and Kelly's seems to be no different. I don't seem to see streams of people in that age bracket flooding out of the place in disappointment though. Which suggests to me that the place hasnt changed enough for the regular folk to have to decide on somewhere else to p1ss away their income.

The funny thing though, is that I'm slightly older than the above age bracket, and it's too old fashioned for my taste.

Why couldn't some pub re-create the bridge in the Star Ship Enterprise, or 10 forward or something. That'd be class. Right well .... I've just gone and completely invalidated my opinion on the matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I'm guessing that the refurb is either due to new management or to try and revive something that perhaps wasnt working.
    Either way on the weekend nights I am sure its not a problem to get punters in but pubs are open 7 days a week and so I am guessing that they are trying to pull punters in including tourists from all demographics for food, a quiet drink etc during the weeknights, lunchtimes etc. Its a business after all and maybe your idea of '10 forward' or trendy bar would be fine in a large city where a niche bar can be better catered for but probably not Galway.
    But then I'm someone who has always preferred a pub to look like a pub (though Kellys is an example of how not too turn somewhere into an inviting pub, its far too new, clean looking and as a result looks like a generic 'Irish' pub you find throughout the world)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I went in there for a drink the other night and it's actually lovely. The crowd in there was so much better than the crowd that used to be in the Living room and it's much nicer inside. I have to admit that I hated the Living room though, I always thought there was no atmosphere in there

Webbs wrote: »
    maybe your idea of '10 forward' or trendy bar would be fine in a large city where a niche bar can be better catered for but probably not Galway.
    Oh I know, it was more wishful thinking and a contrast from the hayshed I was going for.

Also I want to point out that it's mostly the external decor that I really really dislike. I didn't give the interior much of a chance because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Jaysus it's only a bit of paint.
    "Retention" is what it's called. It's what Galway is built on. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Webbs wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the refurb is either due to new management or to try and revive something that perhaps wasnt working.

Or they had to do some work to the building due to certain issues with the safety of the ceiling ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055530495&highlight=living+room

The full article in the Connacht Sentinel was more interesting at the end (ie not the free bit) when it listed the other hospitality operations that the extended family run (can't remember them all, definitely the Cellar, Harvest off-licences ... there were more).

I'd say the owners were not unaware of the need to get planning for such a drastic change, and of the publicity opportunities that not doing so gives.

hate the new look.. the only good part of downstairs is the smoking area which was always a nice design. upstairs is alright but ten beans in is a rip off.

Advertisement