Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Gardening

Options
  • 18-07-2009 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Finally I moved to a house with a garden...it is not in a good shape at all (or this is what I think) so I need to start working on it... I am looking for advice/ideas of what I need to do to make it better...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

well maybe to start off how about you stick up a few ideas?

what kind of thing do you like to see in a garden?
    do you want lawn area(s), pave it all, features?
    any particular colours etc that you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

I like to fix the Lawn area... I do not want to pave it... I like to have some flowers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

any colours in mind that maybe you particularly like?
    are you looking for something that you can just fix up and then pretty much leave alone for most of the year, or is this more of a project for you, and your happy to have work to do in it over the year? :)

Colors... I need to ask my wife about the colors :) I would say she will like red, yellow, pink...

we are looking foreword to work in the garden over the year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

For a start I would cut the grass and paint the fence and shed. You'll be amazed at the transformation.
    The garden itself looks like it was quite well cared for and may only need minor tweaking to suit your own taste. I would investigate the reason for the bare patches, was it a building or just where something was left standing or what?

• Advertisement

sure I will cut the grass... I like the idea of painting the fence & shed...

what should the grass level be?

I would like to fix the bare patches... I am not sure of the reason.. How to fix it I would like to have a full lawn area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Grass should be about 2-3 inches. Dig over the bare patches and see what the soil is like, it is likely that something was left lying on the lawn and killed the grass underneath. If the soil underneath is ok, then just fork it over, level, rake, firm, lightly rake again and sow grass seed. If something else has happened, e.g. a fuel spill, then it will be necessary to replace the soil but that won't be apparent until you dig it.

Advertisement