Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay or Go

• 18-07-2009 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

I need to make a decision soon about my current situation within my guild and would like some thoughts if possible.

Some history....I have been in this guild for 3 years, and of course over this time, have built up some really good friendships. I have watched this guild through all the ups and downs. Over the 3 years, I have seen the leadership(we have a group of 5 leading) change as people come and go. I myself was part of the leadership for some time.

We are a casual raiding guild I guess, in that we raid 3 nights a week(or try to). But within the guild we have a rank that identifies people as raiders. There are certain requirements to this rank ie min attendance levels, showing up with flasks/elixirs etc, the usual things I guess.

Anyway, since Wotlk was launched we have gone downhill as a guild. We struggle to fill raids, and our progress has become stagnant and stalled. We have lost a good few "key" players over the last few months, and replaced them badly(poor attendees,poor performers, badly geared people). Even with the replacements though we cant raid 3 nights a week, and havent for quite some time now. This of course means we cannot clear Ulduar, and instead, we raid 1-2 times a week, doing the same bosses over and over.

I am incredibly frustrated by this, and recently decided to stop raiding(even though this is the main reason I play WoW). As I see it, we will never clear Ulduar in our current state, this means we cant recruit decent players, we are stuck in a rut.

So question to any of you who may have been in this position....stay in a guild doing something you dislike because of a handful of friends, or bite the bullet and leave to a more progressed guild?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Go. I made the mistake of sticking with a guild of friends after things had seriously gone downhill, and trying to make a go of things, it just kinda made everything painfully drawn out, and generating far too much drama. Really bogged down my enjoyment of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

I made the mistake of leaving a guild full of friends so I could clear Ulduar. Don't get me wrong getting epics is awesome but it's a lot more fun if done with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

just recruit more.... its honestly not that hard, recruit in masses, give trials, if ppl are awful in their first raid... remove them... the ones that are decent... extend there trials. I understand it may take 3 or 4 weeks before you have a steady roster, but its actually not too bad. Dont be fooled by some ppl's gear. you'll often find the good players may be the lesser geared ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

magilly wrote: »
    just recruit more.... its honestly not that hard, recruit in masses, give trials, if ppl are awful in their first raid... remove them... the ones that are decent... extend there trials. I understand it may take 3 or 4 weeks before you have a steady roster, but its actually not too bad. Dont be fooled by some ppl's gear. you'll often find the good players may be the lesser geared ones.

True that, there's new players dinging 80 all the time. Just because they're inexperienced right now doesn't mean they won't turn into a good player when they get some experience. (no pun intended)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Recruitment has nothing to do with me, so I cant go out and recruit. We have recuited some over the summer, but again, they wont raid 3 nights a week. Alot of our applicants have been so poor also.."i will top the healing meters" etc.

In a recent discussion about raids I gave the following comment

"My motivation for raiding is gone. I don't want to spend 2-3 nights a week repeating the same content over and over again. Maybe I expect too much, but I think we should have cleared Ulduar long ago, and should be focusing on Hard modes. If I see a pattern of progression starting to develop consistently over a period of time, I'm pretty sure my interest would be sparked again, but for now, don't expect to see me in a raid."

Anyway, will leave it for a week or two and think over it abit more. Thanks for the input all, its good to have an impartial view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Are your friends in the guild of the same mind as you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Schism wrote: »
    Are your friends in the guild of the same mind as you?

Some are, the rest appear to be pretty content with doing repetative crap over and over again. I would say 30%-40% of the guild/raid have some sort of ambition...ie to clear the place and crack on with hard modes. The rest are happy just to turn up, have some fun, get some shineys and log off content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

If you want the guild to progress, recruiting is everyone's responsibility. You can't just say it's up to 1-2 people then whine when the guild's going nowhere.

It's not a business. It's people who want to play together, doing things 'together'. If you don't all put in the effort, then you can't really make comment about the other bad/poor players.

But then this comes down to a few things about staying or going. Is there realistically a way that things can turn around? This is usually up to the management though. The players can put in the effort to recruit, or do show up or whatever, but if the management aren't laying down the rules and enforcing them, then there may as well not be a management. In which case, you're just part of a PUG with a name.

If that's the case, leave. If things CAN turn around with a bit of effort, then if you really like playing with these people, help put in the effort, and don't pass the buck to someone else.

And Karl your situation was understandable. You wanted to bone Illassa. You also wanted a chance to get to see Joosy's tits. Neither were going to happen bud :D

Oh but btw, proinsias and Sluth are going to meet concrete and Ilassa next week I think. If you have the time off maybe you should ask if you could go along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

First rule: It's a game, you are supposed to enjoy it.

Second rule: The people in this game will never be like the friends you have irl. Don't treat them as such.

I don't mean be rude and ignorant to people.

Longest time I stayed in any guild was about a year or there abouts... Great fun. When the fun stopped, I left them, the following year I went to about 5 guilds... Since christmas I have been in about 4. Current guild is the one I created with a few mates over a year ago :)

Same people that was in the guild that I was in for over a year. Won't be leaving it anytime soon either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

My guild had a similar situation twice before, all it takes though is a bit of effort from the leaders and a bit of a strict ruling on raiding members. If people arent going to give you the attendance of 3 raids a week, showing up on time and prepared; then they arent raiders. Depending on your server, there should be plenty of people who given the chance would make great raiders. Recruit more.

Its also a bit of a catch22. You cant recruit good players without good progress.

Anyway; we stuck with it and now we've downed Yogg 10 and 25 man and most of the hardmodes done in 10 man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Sorta in a similar situation :( Tried to get in some of the top guilds on our server but all seem melee heavy atm. Think if the new guild had a site and some voice chat ya'd easily make friends in the new guild too tbh. One one of my toons is in atm has neither and well, don't really feel like its much craic there since can't offer anything atm :( Minor upgrades possibly but really want 25 man raids and we can't even string 2 10 man's together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Reading your comments you really don't sound like someone I'd describe as a casual raider - I'd say leave the guild and try and join a more focused one. Just because you're not in the old guild any more doesn't mean you have to cut all ties with your mates there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

For every guild that collapses about 20 take their place.

There is a **** load of guilds out there progressing and looking to progress.

Now if one wants to pick me up holla :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 murfz

Thats how it started for me my guild were half & half about raiding so a few palyers & myself moved to other guilds to progress which was fine. I cleared most of the content a good few times before the uldar patch came out & I was well happy in my new guild but not all my friends from my last guild were as lucky got tired & left wow,now it has repeated with the uldar patch. My guild fell apart & i had to search for another guild to start progress through the new content. This time i was the one who got tired so i left wow a few weeks ago.. Can be hard to find like minded guild that you'll enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Leave the guild, and just keep in touch with your friends. Keep an alt in the guild if your worried about losing touch etc.

Same thing happened to me, i stopped raiding in TBC and just done pvp for the remainder.

Things are different in wotlk, easier raids, faster, so i myself just pug when i can.. or level alot of alts :D

Advertisement