Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Switch issue

Options
  • 18-07-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I have some code where I'm testing the value of something
    switch ($p) {
     case 0:
      do something
      break;

case 1:
      do something else
      break;

case 2:
      do a third thing
      break;

default:
      do a fourth thing
      break;
    }

Now my issue is that if $p is 1 or 2, I also want to do what's in the default case. Normally that works fine if I remove the break; from the case, but not when there's 2 cases, it's just running from case 1 to case 2 to default, obviously. It seems a minor thing but I'm not able to find a fix for it anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine your only two options are to stick an if after the switch statement, or include the same line(s) in the 1st and 2nd cases as the default case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

seamus wrote: »
    I imagine your only two options are to stick an if after the switch statement, or include the same line(s) in the 1st and 2nd cases as the default case.

Dang

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Because of the way PHP goes through switch() statements sequentially, you could just leave cases 1 and 2 at the bottom, just above default, and omit the break; from case 1 and case 2 and put an if() in case 2 to ensure it's not case 1 falling through.
    switch ($p) {
     case 0:
      do something
      break;

case 1:
      do something else
     case 2:
      if(case 2) {
        do a third thing
      }
     default:
      do a fourth thing
      break;
    }

In most other languages, you'd just define a label in default and goto() it, but PHP won't let you goto() into a loop or switch statement. Although, technically, you're already in the switch() scope, so maybe it'd work. Try it.
    switch ($p) {
     case 0:
      do something
      break;

case 1:
      do something else
      goto cheapassgotolabel;
      break;

case 2:
      do a third thing
      goto cheapassgotolabel;
      break;

default:
      cheapassgotolabel:
      do a fourth thing
      break;
    }

Yes, I said goto(). Sometimes it's okay :D

0baa1b9fae6aec55bbb73037f3016001-xkcd-goto.png

Sparks wrote: »
    0baa1b9fae6aec55bbb73037f3016001-xkcd-goto.png

Bleedin' velociraptors all over the shop now, cheers Sparks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

As a matter of fact, the goto statement has being introduced in PHP 5.3. Can be useful at times but better off avoid if possible.
    They've included that comic too :pac:

http://ie.php.net/goto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You mean you're not using 5.3? :D

Sorry I miss read your post. Thought you said there was no goto, but yeah you can't go into a switch or loop structure. However, have you tried doing a jump within a switch? - Never know, you can jump out too

Thanks WebMonkey, Sparks, for various reasons, I gave up and resorted to sodding IF statements. It just got too complicated - there were cases where I wanted to do A then B then D, but sometimes C, etc. Too much. I have better control with prioritised IF's.

Yes, switches are generally only used when it's one and only case or there's a sequential flow where you can place breaks in neccessary positions. If's prob provide more freedom. Best luck

Advertisement