Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's going on here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yeah, I'd presume Tom Lane has it rather than Billy Aherne - he's got all the pics.
    He's also got a pic of the clocks, so Billy's mileage is definitely bogey on this ad.

Anyone want to call Billy Ahern Car Sales (01 464 3810) and ask to arrange a viewing? :P
    I wonder what kind of excuse you'd get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

-Chris- wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd presume Tom Lane has it rather than Billy Aherne - he's got all the pics.
    He's also got a pic of the clocks, so Billy's mileage is definitely bogey on this ad.

Anyone want to call Billy Ahern Car Sales (01 464 3810) and ask to arrange a viewing? :P
    I wonder what kind of excuse you'd get!

I wouldn't go making accusations just yet. It is probably just a case of the latter dealer robbing a picture off the former dealer's ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yeah, I'd say both have similar jeeps and one robbed a pic from the other

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I wouldn't go making accusations just yet. It is probably just a case of the latter dealer robbing a picture off the former dealer's ad.

and reducing the mileage, how do you explain that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

copacetic wrote: »
    and reducing the mileage, how do you explain that one?

They are probably not the same car, just the same picture used on each ad is what I'm saying.

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »
    They are probably not the same car, just the same picture used on each ad is what I'm saying.

sorry, I assumed 'latter' and 'former' dealers meant you thought the car had moved on:confused:

Either way, even stealing a picture of such a specific car is dodgy. What are they hiding about their one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The pics are definitely Tom Lane's. Look at his other ads, same background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Borrowed picture that's all. A lot of people, including me, do it, esp when the weather is too bad to take my own photos.

The OP should have been able to work that one out for himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

JHMEG wrote: »
    Borrowed picture that's all. A lot of people, including me, do it, esp when the weather is too bad to take my own photos.

Bit cheeky tbh...

I don't think that's in any way acceptable - borrowing pictures.

The alternatives:

Have no picture
    Have a bad picture in the rain while you wait for a dry day
    Have a "generic" picture
    Rob someone else's picture but say in the ad "this is a picture of a similar vehicle"

Or take a good picture yourself!!

• Advertisement

Well then you should find a manuafacturer image or something, not try and pass off an actual picture of a very similar car as the one you are selling with no comment. At best it's sharp practise and/or false advertising. It would certainly be a big flashing warning light for me to avoid a dealer who does this.

If the car is stock and therefore generic, and there is no registration showing the the pic, well then the pic is generic, and as long as they're identical it really doesn't matter.

I'm selling a car at the moment and the pic is from honestjohn or somewhere, black car, generic, hub caps, and reg blanked out. Identical to mine in every way. I will take my own pics when it stops raining.

I think having a brochure picture or no picture would put people off in the first instance.

If I were going for a generic picture I'd pull it off a manufacturer's website - the configurator will let you get the right colour and alloys.

I wouldn't use someone else's pic where there's a proper background and the photo obviously alludes to a specific car. There were several scam attempts a while ago where pics were nicked from dealer ads on Carzone and scam ads were set up.
    If I were a dealer, I'd be worried about getting that kind of "scam" reputation (warranted or not) by "borrowing" pics.

If I were going for a generic picture I'd pull it off a manufacturer's website - the configurator will let you get the right colour and alloys.
    Won't work. Car in the above is 6 years old, not the current model, and no 6 year old car is going to be in showroom condition.

I think having a brochure picture or no picture would put people off in the first instance.

It would, hence you are faking that it is the same car. When it isn't. I don't understand why you can't see the big problem with that.

Nope, I have no problem in posting a pic of a car that is identical in every way.

I would see it a bit like when you look in a catalogue, eg Argos. The item pictured is not the item you're going to get, but is identical to it.

Can I ask why you don't have pics of your specific car in your ad JHMEG?

Nope, I have no problem in posting a pic of a car that is identical in every way.

I would see it a bit like when you look in a catalogue, eg Argos. The item pictured is not the item you're going to get, but is identical to it.

It's not like that at all, the pics in an argos catalogue are of new items. You are passing of one second hand car as being another. There is no way the cars are 'identical in every way' at that age.

What it is a bit like is someone advertising an item with pics on adverts.ie or ebay and then sending you a different item altogether, which may or may not be similar to the picture. Generally people who do this type of thing can't be trusted.

Can I ask why you don't have pics of your specific car in your ad JHMEG?
    As I said already Chris I am waiting for it to stop raining. Car is for sale for 2 days, and we've had 2 days rain (well, we've actually had a lot more, but however..)
    copaceptic wrote:
    There is no way the cars are 'identical in every way'
    Not in person, but in low res photos on the internet they can be.

Can you spot the difference between these two? Maybe it's the same car?
    no-image-large.gifno-image-large.gif

It could be the same car, but the one on the right looks either better cared for, better prepped, or just a better pic, the one on the left has either a suspension issue or the fat guy in it is weighing it down. If there was the usual drivers side pic I've no doubt anyone could tell the difference between cars with a large mileage difference as in the OP.

You can also tell how old the picture is, indicating how long they may have the car etc.

Being able to tell the difference isn't the point though, whether you are advertising what you are actually selling is.

• Advertisement

From your post I don't think you can tell.

If you arranged to see the one on the left but were shown the one on the right, would you be disappointed? Or vice versa? Could you even tell which one you were being shown?

The only difference I can see above is in one pic the car has dirt on the tyres, in the other it doesn't.

From your post I don't think you can tell.

If you arranged to see the one on the left but were shown the one on the right, would you be disappointed? Or vice versa? Could you even tell which one you were being shown?

The only difference I can see above is in one pic the car has dirt on the tyres, in the other it doesn't.

Of course you can't tell for sure. You are totally missing the point.

It's not ok misleading people because you can get away with it. Or tricking them into coming to look at a car with a photo of one in better condition.
    You appear to think that getting away with it equals morally ok, which tbh I'm stunned at.

It's sharp practise, false advertising and basically fraudulent. It's also the preferred method of scammers. Its people like you that mean most purchasers won't go near a car if the pics don't show the reg.

Can you spot the difference between these two? Maybe it's the same car?
    no-image-large.gifno-image-large.gif

I can't spot the difference between these two cars. For all I know they're the same car. That's absolutely fine with me.

If I saw two ads which used the same photo for both ads I would draw my own conclusions about who is the legitmate owner of the car in the photo and I'd lose trust in the other seller. I'd possibly start worrying about being scammed. I may not even call either seller - instead I'll contact a seller who hasn't given me cause to be suspicious.

The reason I wouldn't do what you're suggesting is because the online ad is where I build the trust & interest to enough of a level where a total stranger is confident to call me.
    If I put any barriers to this interest/trust (crappy photos, photos of someone else's car, incorrect or blatantly misleading information in the description) the only person I hurt is myself.
    People are already suspicious enough when buying a car without giving them reason to worry more.

And a totally separate question for you - when the nice weather comes out and you clean your car and take a lovely set of pics that show your car in its absolute best light, you'll put them up on your ad straight away!

What would you do if you saw another seller, selling the same car as you, undercutting your price by a grand, using your photos in order to sell their car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If I saw two ads which used the same photo for both ads I would draw my own conclusions about who is the legitmate owner of the car in the photo and I'd lose trust in the other seller. I'd possibly start worrying about being scammed. I may not even call either seller - instead I'll contact a seller who hasn't given me cause to be suspicious.

That's the thing, nicking a photo from another ad casts suspiscion over both ads ...at least it does for me.

copacetic wrote: »
    It's not ok misleading people
    I have a problem with misleading people. In this case I don't believe showing one pic of an identical car is misleading.

@Chris, what would I do if they were using all my photos? Get annoyed, maybe more.

What would I do if they were using one generic side profile shot as in this case? Probably nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

If the car is stock and therefore generic, and there is no registration showing the the pic, well then the pic is generic, and as long as they're identical it really doesn't matter.

I'm selling a car at the moment and the pic is from honestjohn or somewhere, black car, generic, hub caps, and reg blanked out. Identical to mine in every way. I will take my own pics when it stops raining.

Any car I sell,I always go the extra mile to get superb pics in impressive locations, if I knew somebody had just pikied them I'd be well pissed...

Advertisement