Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops that sell "Not for Individual resale" soft drinks

Options
  • 18-07-2009 11:35am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

I've been noticing this a lot lately, and not in corner shops.

Super Valu and Dunnes are selling Coke and Lucozade claerly marked "not for individual resale"

No big deal maybe, but it's insulting to the customers offering us cans with that label on it, clearly from discounted multipacks but selling to us at standard single prices.

Just needed to get that off my chest, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Why do you care if it comes from a multi-pack? Does the drink taste any different? If the shop can buy a product in cheaper and sell at the same price thereby reducing costs and maximising profits they'd be stupid not to. Wouldnt they?

The shop sell the product at a price, if you agree you buy. If you think its too epensive you go somewhere else.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

amcalester wrote: »
    Why do you care if it comes from a multi-pack? Does the drink taste any different? If the shop can buy a product in cheaper and sell at the same price thereby reducing costs and maximising profits they'd be stupid not to. Wouldnt they?

The shop sell the product at a price, if you agree you buy. If you think its too epensive you go somewhere else.

I care for a lot of reasons.

One, When I'm paying a euro or so FOR A SINGLE CAN I'd prefer that there's not a huge glaring "not for individual resale" on it. Like I'm too mean to pay for a single can and get one from the mulitpack in the garage before I leave the house.
    Two, yes it does taste somehow different - taste is often psychological as well as physiological.
    Three, it's downright insulting to the consumers charging us the same euro when it's obvious the mark up is hugely different like we're some sort of clowns that won't notice.

And lastly, this a consumer issues forum, why on earth are you saying "If the shop can buy a product in cheaper and sell at the same price thereby reducing costs and maximising profits they'd be stupid not to. Wouldnt they?"

You're just justifying supermarkets ripping off the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Yeah it's not Super Valu or Dunnes who make that decision. The manufacturer (e.g. Coke) make them like that then sell them at a discount to the retailer who then passes that discount on to you. Coke print "not for individual resale" on the packaging to ensure that they items are not separated by the retailer and therefore the discount is passed on to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Name and shame!

waraf wrote: »
    Coke print "not for individual resale" on the packaging to ensure that they items are not separated by the retailer .

My point entirely is that this isn't working.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    Name and shame!

Might as well.
    Super Valu Glanmire.
    And Dunnes Stores Douglas Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Perhaps get on to the Coca cola bottlers and let them know. Let them sort it out as it is they that are losing money at the end of the day.

Saruman wrote: »
    Perhaps get on to the Coca cola bottlers and let them know. Let them sort it out as it is they that are losing money at the end of the day.

Doubt it would much good.
    Super Valu and Dunnes know they're untouchable from Coke as most Coke is bought in Supermarkets.
    Hence if Super Valu and Dunnes said "FU so COKE, we won't sell your product anymore" Coke sales would fal through the floor.

It's basically these supermarkets saying we can do whatever the fúck we want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

jayteecork wrote: »
    My point entirely is that this isn't working.

ah yes I see now. Aother case of some muppet (namely me) not reading the OP's post properly before posting. I think it's a first on boards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I for one won't buy a product that has been clearly labelled as 'part of multipack' that has been separated and is being sold separately.

As far as I'm concerned the shopkeeper is ripping off his customers by hanging onto a discount that was meant for the customer.

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Doubt it would much good.
    Super Valu and Dunnes know they're untouchable from Coke as most Coke is bought in Supermarkets.
    Hence if Super Valu and Dunnes said "FU so COKE, we won't sell your product anymore" Coke sales would fal through the floor.

It's basically these supermarkets saying we can do whatever the fúck we want.
    coca cola take this type of thing very seriously and will most likely send a rep out to all suoppervalue and dunnes in the area to check their stock! it is not only ripping people off it is damaging the reputation of coca cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Coke would delist a company from stocking products from them for this, they then would have to source them elsewhere. Unlikley to happen but as had been stated this is a manager ripping off the customers for a little more margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

One, When I'm paying a euro or so FOR A SINGLE CAN I'd prefer that there's not a huge glaring "not for individual resale" on it. Like I'm too mean to pay for a single can and get one from the mulitpack in the garage before I leave the house.
    Two, yes it does taste somehow different - taste is often psychological as well as physiological.
    Three, it's downright insulting to the consumers charging us the same euro when it's obvious the mark up is hugely different like we're some sort of clowns that won't notice.

And lastly, this a consumer issues forum, why on earth are you saying "If the shop can buy a product in cheaper and sell at the same price thereby reducing costs and maximising profits they'd be stupid not to. Wouldnt they?"

You're just justifying supermarkets ripping off the public.

I logged in just to thumbs up this post :)

You're absolutely right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

have seen this happen in a pub with bottled beer ! point out to publican and he blamed cash and carry ! tasted great tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Coke would delist a company from stocking products from them for this, they then would have to source them elsewhere. Unlikley to happen but as had been stated this is a manager ripping off the customers for a little more margin.

Absolute rubbish, IF I was doing it in my shop, they could not stop me. If they tried, I can tell them to feck off and get alternate supplies.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    coca cola take this type of thing very seriously and will most likely send a rep out to all suoppervalue and dunnes in the area to check their stock! it is not only ripping people off it is damaging the reputation of coca cola.

Same as above. They cannot do anything about it except perhaps stop sending in the multipacks. The shop would just buy them in the cash and carry instead.

On top of this, if its a symbol store like Supervalu, Coke doesn't supply them anyway! They supply Musgrave central warehouse in Kilcock and the shop gets a direct delivery from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Like I said you would have to source them from alternative sources, and yes they can do this, they own the trademark.

MC

Like I said you would have to source them from alternative sources, and yes they can do this, they own the trademark.

MC

They own the trademark ?????

What does that have to do with it?

Coke cannot stop anyone selling their products.

Osama Bin Laden could start selling cans of coke in the middle of a Pakistan and legally, coke cannot stop him. As long as he sells coke as coke and not anything else, trademarks have absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

foggy_lad wrote: »

I think you will find in most cases that a Coca Cola merchandiser most likely put the stock in the fridge or on the shelf in the first place. Especially in Super Values and Dunnes. I worked as a merchandiser and salesman for years in FMCG and have seen it done. The fact that large supermarkets pump so much money into coke and buy in bulk at very large quantities they will most likely make an excuse as to why nothing is done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

In the shop I work in, this is usually the customers fault. Some ****er always rips open a multipack so he can buy one can or bottle, then we're left with 5 other cans with a big "not to be sold seperately" label on it. What do you want us to do?, throw the other 5 cans out because you can't be bothered to buy the right product.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If the item says not to be sold seperately, then whoever is selling it seperately is breaching the conditions, that they presumably must have agreed to when they bought the goods from the supplier.

I would imagine that if enough people complained to the manufacturer, some retailers would be feeling the wrath of some high-flying lawyer. Once it was all spread around the media, the public would assume that the retailer is stitching up his customers.

• Advertisement

Ten years ago, there were merchandisers all over the place. Now things have been cut back massively. I was used to merchandisng three times a week but now, in smaller shops anyway, there is no merchandising.

Its hard enough to get a rep to call, I kicked out my rep from coke for not bothering to come in anymore, he wanted an order over the phone! One call to his boss and he was replaced.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If the item says not to be sold seperately, then whoever is selling it seperately is breaching the conditions, that they presumably must have agreed to when they bought the goods from the supplier.

I would imagine that if enough people complained to the manufacturer, some retailers would be feeling the wrath of some high-flying lawyer. Once it was all spread around the media, the public would assume that the retailer is stitching up his customers.

What conditions?

I ring coke and order 100 cases, they deliver it or maybe I go to the cash and carry and pick some up.

The only terms and conditions are that I have to pay for it !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What conditions?

The ones you find out are in the small print, five minutes before they nail you to a tree for not complying with em.:P

The ones you find out are in the small print, five minutes before they nail you to a tree for not complying with em.:P

Is this a joke ?

Small print ?

You think I sign a contract everytime I buy something for my shop?

HAHAHAHAHAH:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

be feeling the wrath of some high-flying lawyer.
    Apparently it is perfectly legal to do, this came up a while ago and somebody had complained to the manufacturer who said there is nothing they can do.

The writing has no legal bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

T.B.H i wouldn't buy anything on it's own that says "not for individual sale". i would rarely buy a can on it's own full stop. my local tesco's are doing 12 cans of sprite for €5. bought a tray of 24 for €10. now that i think about i might as well stock up on it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

No such contract could possibly exist in Ireland.

Once the shop buys the coke it is theirs to do with as they please.

They can sell it for one million euro a can if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

I would worry more about the Crisp Multipacks being sold - they are alot smaller than the single packs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

One, When I'm paying a euro or so FOR A SINGLE CAN I'd prefer that there's not a huge glaring "not for individual resale" on it. Like I'm too mean to pay for a single can

Why? would you be embarrassed about it? oh the shame:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I don't get it, so the OP is happy enough to pay a euro for a can of Coke, but not if he thinks the shop paid slightly less for that can than they usually do?
    It's the same Coke, in the same can for the same price!

besides, you could be paying a euro for a can, that would be 1.10 if the shop was buying them in trays and not splitting multipacks :)

Advertisement