Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start MMA

• 18-07-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Im 17, with a background in Kickboxing looking to start MMA in south Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Seeing as no one has seen it fit to reply to this thread, I will. Depending on where in South Dublin you are, there are a few gyms. I don't have details for all of them but the main one to the south is http://www.nextgenerationireland.com/ located in Loughlinstown.

Good luck!

Anyone have any experience with the Wild Geese club in Dublin 2?

I see they have some BJJ, MMA and kickboxing classes,
    just wondering if this club would be a good place to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Anyone have any experience with the Wild Geese club in Dublin 2?

I see they have some BJJ, MMA and kickboxing classes,
    just wondering if this club would be a good place to start?

Cant say i ever seen them at competitions, and there name would stick out, maybe there more a kickboxing club, dont know though, or i might know them through a different name

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Cant say i ever seen them at competitions, and there name would stick out, maybe there more a kickboxing club, dont know though, or i might know them through a different name

Here's their website, if that helps jog your memory

www.wildgeesema.com

Here's their website, if that helps jog your memory

www.wildgeesema.com

No i dont know them but it says there lad mariusz is a 1st dan in BJJ, i thought ireland only had 1 BJJ black belt so that shows a high standard

He was born in 88 so is about 21 and is a 1st Dan Judo bulletpoint.gif 1st Dan Ju-Jitsu bulletpoint.gif 3rd Dan MMA bulletpoint.gif 1st Dan Brazilian Ju-Jitsu bulletpoint.gif 1st Dan Shira Tora Ju-Jitsu bulletpoint.gif A Submission Wrestling instructor rank bulletpoint.gif 1st Dan Modern Ju-Jitsu
    bulletpoint.gif Honoury 4th Dan American Tiger Ju-Jitsu

• Advertisement

No i dont know them but it says there lad mariusz is a 1st dan in BJJ, i thought ireland only had 1 BJJ black belt so that shows a high standard

He was born in 88 so is about 21 and is a 1st Dan Judo bulletpoint.gif 1st Dan Ju-Jitsu bulletpoint.gif 3rd Dan MMA bulletpoint.gif 1st Dan Brazilian Ju-Jitsu bulletpoint.gif 1st Dan Shira Tora Ju-Jitsu bulletpoint.gif A Submission Wrestling instructor rank bulletpoint.gif 1st Dan Modern Ju-Jitsu
    Wow, I didn't read up on the instructors, very impressive.
    Obviously it'd be a good place to start BJJ under his instruction.

I think I'll go to his class tonight and check it out.

Id be interested to hear from the BJJ community on this, as it would be well known if there was a BJJ black belt in Ireland, JJJ blackbelt yeah but thats basically like Kung Fu, And it takes about 10+ years to get a Black belt in BJJ so he must have started about 11 or 12 years old, ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

bulletpoint.gif 3rd Dan MMA bulletpoint.gif

Pardon the ignorance, but, Is there such a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

dancor wrote: »

Sure. Grading systems in MMA can be found in a lot of traditional "free-fight" gyms that have evolved into modern MMA gyms, which are not uncommon in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

dancor wrote: »

People can give themselves grades in their own systems of MMA I suppose, but it wouldn't really mean anything outside of their group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭fergal_q

One of his students wrote Mariusz was a purple belt waiting to be graded in December -
    http://%3canything%3e.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055434614

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

3rd Dan MMA
    1st Dan Brazilian Ju-Jitsu

Doesnt sound right at all. If these achievements are accurate, than the name of the instructor that awarded the qualifications would make it very easy to check this out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Say's he started boxing in 1988 at the age of nine, makes him 30 odd now..

Bambi wrote: »
    Say's he started boxing in 1988 at the age of nine, makes him 30 odd now..

I stand corrected, he's 30.

Now is he an actual BJJ black belt or a made up different type 1?

if he's a bjj blackbelt then he's got a lot of pedigree, jjj, boxing, thai and BJJ..

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

And how?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Arise zombie thread!

I have started back there doing a private lesson with a good friend (Dave Gordon) who teaches Muay Thai there. The BJJ class was sharing the gym and I watched and asked Dave about the instructor (I had no idea this thread was on Boards! by the way, I was looking to see if anyone from here used the gym too).

So, I can answer as best I can. The class looked good, a mixture of beginners and experienced people, the trainers (one black belt, one brown belt as I recall) were involved and seemed helpful. (imho a trainer who just barks orders is no use compared to a trainer who barks orders and then individually corrects mistakes or makes suggestions... these seemed to be the later).
    I dont know much about BJJ but it looked like a well run and co-ordinated class. According to Dave, who has been taught in Thailand by an ex-Brazillian national BJJ team member, the guy in the black belt is exceptionally highly skilled. So, I'd take his word for it. :)

The gym itself has improved greatly since the last time I deigned to gas-myself-half-unconscious-as-usual in it. Plenty of kettle bells, bags, skipping ropes, soft mats for BJJ and even a tire and sledgehammer..... which I didnt go near. :)

The head guy looked like he could kill me with his eyelids but was really super nice to me as I sat dying in his changing rooms (I am hideously unfit it would appear). All in all, its not a flashy "modern" gym with cross trainer machines and jogging equipment, its a "boxers gym" in that its a place of pain and work. :)

Have to say, gets the thumbs up from me but then I havent been in another gym so I cant compare.

Oh yes, I'm back in training again... I'm not sure if gassing during Muay Thai counts as "MMA training" but I finally got my lazy 40-year-old ass off the couch from watching TUF reruns and got back to training Muay Thai. So eh, thanks MMA Forum.... I guess. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Great to hear Dev that you took the plunge and got stuck into training, and more importantly, you're enjoying yourself and feel like you're in a good safe club.

But just a few points. This thread was basically about clarifying rumours and getting facts rather than conjecture. Some people were making claims that are difficult to substantiate. I'll elaborate:
    (one black belt, one brown belt as I recall)

Grades in what? BJJ? Grades in BJJ are not like any other, there are less than 10 people in this country that I'm aware of that are Brown or Black belt. If there are black and brown belts teaching in this gym can you tell us who they are and what team they're affiliated to. This isn't a request that should be interpretted as rude or challenging. This is the norm, whenever, in any context, a BJJ black belt or a brown belt is referenced by their grade, their name and lineage is at the very least a footnote.
    ex-Brazillian national BJJ team member

I'm not sure what this means, Does this mean he competed in the mundials?
    The head guy looked like he could kill me with his eyelids

This is the kind of sycophancy i'd expect with a Krav Maga/RBSD shill.

Thanks for the review just didn't think it had much substance.

This isn't a request that should be interpretted as rude or challenging. This is the norm, whenever, in any context, a BJJ black belt or a brown belt is referenced by their grade, their name and lineage is at the very least a footnote.

The BJJ coaches in wild geese changed a while back, it's not the same guy(s?) mentioned at the start of this thread that are running the classes, it's brasillian lad's from team morcegao (sp?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I think I saw on the website that the BJJ class is run by Andre and Abnel from Morceago team. If thats the Andre that I know and trained with in SBG (nearly sure it is) then its a very good purple belt named Andre Ramos from Brazil. I dont know Abnel but I know Andre is a great guy and a very good teacher (I have been to his Capoeira classes). Hope that helps :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry Sid, its called humour, I employ it sometimes. If you read my post again, I said Dave was trained by a brazillian team member and I meant that as a way of explaining that he (Dave) has a considerable bit more experience then me in BJJ, ie: none. The trainer in WG was not irish, he looked south american to me but I dont know for sure. He was wearing a black belt but he could have bought it in a shop of course. he certainly looked like he knew what he was doing hence I passed on what information I had.

I'm not sure the phylum of whatever crawled up your ass frankly.

It wasnt a review, I'm not qualified to review a gym, it was a post with as much information as I had and a clear explanation of how I came about that information.

So get off your high horse having a go at someone who was only trying to shed some light on the subject. sheesh...

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    So get off your high horse having a go at someone who was only trying to shed some light on the subject. sheesh...

DeV.

I dont think thats fair tbh-The BJJ community tends to know when there is an additional black belt in the country, as far as i know there is 2 in Ireland, so if another has arrived it should be news, the fact that it's not sounds suspicious to me, maybe his black belt is from capoira and he uses it doing BJJ which to be straight out is not on-Anyway your review was interesting but a beginner at BJJ would be impressed by a white belt with a few months training anyway to be frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Would most MMA gyms require a certain level of fitness for someone to join up or come down before accepting or would they encourage new comers that wanted to get fit and get active in the sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

was it cesar morceago? he runs a class in portabello . hes a brown belt though.

If i had seen this thread before going training I would have asked, I gave what info I could. I'll ask next week and get the guys name. He was definitely wearing black belt as I recall (for what its worth). If someone is impersonating a black belt or passing themselves off as one, I'll be the first to shout foul here.
    Even those McDojo's who give black belts out after 2 years of standard twice-a-week training annoy me as I think it should represent an achievement of a lifetime really.

All i said was the guy is apparently good, and the class looked well run. If the gym had been ****e and the guy was a muppet, I'd have said that too.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

What gyms in ireland are the blackbelts located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    What gyms in ireland are the blackbelts located?

The only two i know of are John Kavanagh in SBG (1st dan) and Tony Souza in Kokoro MMA (2nd dan).

There could be more.

I'm not sure what this means, Does this mean he competed in the mundials?

I'd put me detective hat on and say it could be that he was with BTT?

I never saw the brasillian guys in wild geese wear a black belt btw, both wore browns.

I never saw the brasillian guys in wild geese wear a black belt btw, both wore browns.
    Ok, I could be wrong on that point, I wasnt paying that close attention as I didnt realise there would be a test after :p:)

I'll dig further and find out details.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

there's a few white belts in kerry training with BTT too. But anyway it's neither here nor there, there's no big conspiracy to get to the bottom off i'm sure it's a great class.

• Advertisement

Ok, I could be wrong on that point, I wasnt paying that close attention as I didnt realise there would be a test after :p:)

I'll dig further and find out details.

DeV.
    Rang Dave and he said his name is Andre and he's a brownbelt. My bad... mystery solved!

DeV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Rang Dave and he said his name is Andre and he's a brownbelt. My bad... mystery solved!

DeV

Andre Ramos? If it is then its great that he got his brown,he was a great purple.

Advertisement