Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing paint from a plastered wall

Options
  • 18-07-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm re-doing my kitchen and have a question. As I removed the wallpaper from some of the walls, some of the paint underneath came off but not all of it. I tried skimming over a very small bit of the paint to see if it would take but it started to bubble a bit.

Any ideas on the best thing to do? I've been scraping the paint of inch by inch and will continue if that's what need to be done...
    There will be A LOT of scraping though :-(

Any ideas??

See pic

Ta
    Anto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Crazed paint is a toughie...there are a number of ways out of it.
    Continue on with the scraper...the wider the better. You'll get there eventually.
    For a large area where this is happening I've used a wallpaper steamer to soften the paint and then took a wide scraper to it. This isn't always a great idea, especially on older plaster/walls.
    You can try a power sander to feather off the edges and then spot prime all the bare plaster, use some polyfilla to even off the edges (where old meets new) and then apply your finishing coats. That's probably the lazy or quick way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Thanks for that. Will try the steamer and scraper..

Other than that I think it will be scrape scrape scrape !!!

Thanks

Anto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just don't be tempted to use a chemical stripper.
    If you're really getting nowhere, a heat gun on it's lowest setting used very carefully will strip emulsion, but be aware that acrylic paints throw off poisonous fumes when they melt and that they are a fire hazard...too much heat may also crack the skim.

Advertisement