Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

got a fishing rod, what next

• 18-07-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

i bought a fishing rod in aldi and fancy doing a spot of
    river fishing but i'm not really sure how to go about
    getting started.
    what else do i need to get and where do i take it from there
    any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

plenty of great books in hodges figgis or ur library to help you out.

if i were you i'd buy some mackeral feathers and some leads and head to a pier where they are being caught.

you'll need spinners or worms for the river, most rivers require you to be a member.

i'll be honest, you'll have more fun and luck on the seashore, just be sure to put back what you can't eat. an aldi rod should be washed under the shower at home and dried if u use it in seawater.

remenber lots of great books out there, or just google beginning river fishing.

good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Where abouts in Limerick are you?

This link will give you some ok guides on the main rivers in Limerick:

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/game/river-maigue.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

You'll need a licence to fish whatever river or lake you intend to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

I'm kind of similar to the OP except that I haven't even bought a rod yet! I'm thinking of taking up fishing though. I live in Meath. Any good lakes or rivers to start out on? Whereabouts do you get a licence from?

Advertisement