Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting

Options
  • 18-07-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

Ok got some bits off adverts, and they wont play nice together:

CPU: Q9400
    Mobo: Asus Striker Formula II
    RAM: OCZ Gold DDRII 6400
    PSU: Corsair TX650W
    HD: Sata II Hitachi Deskstar 500GB
    GPU: GTX280

Ok so first of all I had loads of aggro installing Vista, finally got it installed and it hung with a frozen screen randomly every 1-3 hours.

Tried to install Windows 7 and had no joy so I put in the RAM out of my 100% stable mainrig and got Windows 7 installed. Same frozen screen hanging as in Vista, every now and then.

The GPU I lent to a mate for a week previously and he had no hassle with it.

If the CPU was borked I cant imagine I'd be able to install vista etc. I even managed to run Prime 95 on all four cores for 2 hours or so with no errors before the system hung.

The RAM in atm is a working 2Gb stick out of my main comp, so its not the issue.....unless theres some compatibility issues between the RAM and the Mobo as its the same OCZ RAM in both.

Any ideas? I am at my wits end! Will dump the GTX 280 into this rig just to be certain its not the prob, but it seems unlikely.

Inq

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try a CMOS wipe then make sure the RAM is slightly underclocked and test for stability again. Also try a different PSU and a different graphics card. I'd also recommend sticking each RAM module through a MemTest run. Finally, check the new HDD for errors - you shouldn't find any but if bad blocks do turn up it may be sign of a bad HDD.

Advertisement