Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card question..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

its not a great card for playing games at all, not the new ones anyway. but the likes of the sims 3 and less demanding games like that should be fine.

For 500 euro its no too bad actually. and a 3 year warranty on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its not a bad deal at all.

That gpu is a little weak, it'll play modern games but at lower settings, but its not a big deal to replace it with something better (as long as there's room in the case) as its only a €30-40 gpu anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

General processing unit? Is this the same as cpu? Me replace this? ugh you'll have to forgive me..im like so a noob at doing up my own computer :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    General processing unit? Is this the same as cpu? Me replace this? ugh you'll have to forgive me..im like so a noob at doing up my own computer :confused:

nah man

a GPU - Graphics Processing Unit
    CPU - Central Processing Unit

Basically the GPU gives you visual elements on the monitor, and theres variable performance cards for 3D applications such as model rendering or gaming. Basically that one on the offer is a weak, yet modern one. You can do the basic stuff no problem, but modern 3D apps wouldnt run as smooth.

Hope that clears that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually the 4550 is a very capable card and faster then you might give it credit for. It plays Call of Duty 4 at 1440x900 high settings, and the likes of Far Cry 2 pretty well at 1280x1024 medium-ish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement