Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaydar? Y/N

Options
  • 18-07-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Gaydar as a forum for meeting decent people in Dublin. Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Would you like to give us your views on it first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I'm not sure. When I first realised I was gay i did want to meet people my own age and you know. That said i found gaydar to be a soulless pit of never ending pictures of bodies with no faces. In addition some of the people i met offline from this were a bit well fake and just not into me. That said Gaydar does have an advantage in that everyone on it is gay obviously. Finding guys in the real world is not as easy. Think about it..when your at work, shopping, paying bills etc how do you know for sure if people are gay? And yes i know actual gaydar, the sixth sense so to speak. But I've got crap gaydar.

Just my two cents. Hopefully will get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I used to think I had crap gaydar. I pointed out some guys at school to my friends, but they always had girlfriends, weren't particularly effeminate, etc. "Straight-acting", if you will. But now, a few years later, it turns out that they're gay. So, your gaydar is probably pretty accurate too.

Anyway, as far as the website is concerned, I used it once. I didn't have a pic up, so only a few people contacted me. I never contacted anybody first, only replied. Got chatting with one guy for a few days, decided to meet up with him for a drink. It's nearly two years later, and we're planning on spending the rest of our lives together :) .

So, my experience with Gaydar has been entirely positive. Sure, you get a few people sending you pictures of their cocks, but if you ignore those and focus on the ones who actually have something to say then I don't see why it can't be a great tool.

Like you said, finding guys IRL is harder. Unless you go to a club, you're unlikely to just start chatting somebody up out of the blue. And even then in the clubs, 90% of the people there just want a quick fuçk. Gaydar does have a place among the gay community at large (not the putrid, "scene" community).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Gaydar as a forum for meeting decent people in Dublin. Discuss.
    It's hit and miss , far to many weirdo's on it but if you vet them well you should be ok , it really depends on what you are looking for ;)

My own gaydar is ok , it just a case of picking up on signals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fat 9 Inch Cock

It's hit and miss , far to many weirdo's on it but if you vet them well you should be ok , it really depends on what you are looking for

Make sure your profile tells people what you are looking for in life ;):)

I mean include good details about your hobbies and likes in life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭pcurls

Not sure about Gaydar but i met my girlfriend on Gaydargirls:) Most of my online experiences have actually been god awful, between the sheer volume of girls who are more than willing to send me(an absolute stranger) pictures of their bresticles and their nethers and then the ones who restrain from sending the nudie pics but all they have to say is "hey whatz up babz xxxxxx" i mean its been really bad but amongst all these mongoloids i did manage to find an intellegent, beautiful, caring and wonderful girl whom i now plan to spend the rest of my life with. so in conclusion, the bad is worse than peirce brosnan singing S.O.S in mama mia and the good is like tasting the sunshine.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm not a fan of the 'dar myself, never have been. I find it's far too much about cruising and sex.

Thingbox is an interesting alternative, with its own Ireland forum to have a look at. There's a lively little crowd on there, and in the Ireland forum, they're pretty friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

Make sure your profile tells people what you are looking for in life ;):)

I mean include good details about your hobbies and likes in life.

Haha, amusingly, I'll second what 'Fat 9 Inch Cock' has to say on the importance of being clear about what you are looking for and what you have on offer. If you're really clear and honest about what you want and do not want, it can be a good site for meeting decent people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Gaydar is just full of eegits, serious. I've been on it and rarely wanted to meet anyone on it. I usually go on it when I'm bored and its the same faces looking for a shag. Look at thier profiles hits, 20, 30, even 50 thousand in some cases. They've been around the circuit a fair bit and if they haven't found what they're looking for..

My advice is to go out and meet people and avoid gaydar like the plague. I always meet someone when I'm out and I don't do the scene, thats a head wrecker. Gaydar is in most cases a cyber sauna and thats all.

In relation to the gay scene does anyone no if Queer and Alternative is still on or canceled?

That said the scene? Did that before for a few years...only seem to be fake people who are interested in one night shags..being alone seems a more realistic option in the long term..yeh im not social :pac: but hey who cares anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭Daith

Are there any meetup groups in Dublin? Or is it mostly internet based?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

I actually met my girlfriend online. She's Dutch, has been living in Ireland for 12+ years and I'm American. We met on a non-LGBT meeting site while I was still living in the States. We're together almost 2 years now, living together for 7 months and have never been happier.

I'd suggest looking at any sites that allow you to search for a gay person to meet. I've found that most meeting sites specifically for the LGBT crowd aren't that great to meet someone on, but there are always a few exceptions. It's always going to be hit or miss on any site and even in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

Not a fan of the 'dar myself. I do like Thingbox though. There's a little Ireland forum on there which is pretty active. Deffo worth a looksee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Gaydar is a vile and disgusting place :\ but having that said I am chatting on msn to someone I did meet off there, but he's normal enough and has not once tried to show me his member.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    Gaydar is a vile and disgusting place :\ but having that said I am chatting on msn to someone I did meet off there, but he's normal enough and has not once tried to show me his member.

Happy you found one genuine person, theres nothing more I hate than going into a LBGT chat room/forum and being bombarded by messages such as "ASL?" and people asking if I want to swap pics. We're not all horn dogs all the time, sometimes I just want to have an actual chat to other people like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

I don't get some of you people who say they only ever get people trying to hook up on gaydar chatrooms. The rooms are called Dublin Cruising, Munster Cruising etc for christsake!!!! Try using the general chat room!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,701 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't get some of you people who say they only ever get people trying to hook up on gaydar chatrooms. The rooms are called Dublin Cruising, Munster Cruising etc for christsake!!!! Try using the general chat room!

General Chat is generally empty...

My guess is everyone is in private chat... on that note does anyone actually meet people on gaydar? not like for quick things mind you but actual proper relationships or is this just a pipe dream i have?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

I met my soulmate on gaydar 7 years ago. We chatted on and off for a month before meeting for a date, even though we were living quite close to each other. Made the first meet much more enjoyable as we already knew a lot about each other. Anyway, a year later we moved in with each other and have lived happily ever after. So, it can work.

Advertisement