Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue piercing - receding gums

Options
  • 18-07-2009 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I have a tongue piercing for almost 2 years now. I have nearly always worn an acrylic barbell, but have worn a steel one for the past 3-4 months. I have just noticed that on the inside of my bottom incisors (just one at the moment) that the gum has receded quite noticeably.

I'm quite surprised as the barbell sits much lower than this naturally and was pierced by a reputable piercer so the positioning should have been ok.

I have an appointment with my dentist in two weeks anyway (purely coincidental as I only noticed this problem today) but just wondering is my only option to take out the piercing? Will the gum recover? Have others experienced this and what has been your prognosis?

I absolutely love my tongue piercing but my teeth are more important! I have a labret piercing as well and there is no sign of such damage at the front.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

The barbell is probably too long, go to your piercer and get em to have a look and see if it needs to be shortened, my guess is that it does.

Your gum will receed to a certain point, your dentist knows better in all honesty. Most are very anti tongue piercings though so their own views may influence their honesty

Advertisement