Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a minibus be used on a B license if seats are removed to make 7seater?

• 18-07-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy a minibus and remove some seats so it is only a 7 seater.

Reason is i am only on a b license, but I would like to carry a good few people and a lot of stuff.

legally can you modify a minibus like a 15seater transit minibus to only have 7 seats and tax and insure it on a B license?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just looking at my B license .. needs to be less than 3500KG too! Not really sure what that is in terms of a minibus ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Random wrote: »
    Just looking at my B license .. needs to be less than 3500KG too! Not really sure what that is in terms of a minibus ..

hmm thats interesting, didnt see that.

Anyone know if this is with passengers+luggage or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

gline wrote: »
    Im looking to buy a minibus and remove some seats so it is only a 7 seater.

Reason is i am only on a b license, but I would like to carry a good few people and a lot of stuff.

legally can you modify a minibus like a 15seater transit minibus to only have 7 seats and tax and insure it on a B license?

If its the Merc Sprinter twin rear wheel 400 series forget it, a B license won't cover it unless its a camper as it would exceed the 3.5T weight permissible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

a 15 seater would be over your 3500kg limit regardless of the number of seats. your best bet would be to look at something like a ford transit torneo(like this one http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200918192654340or a converted VW carravelle which both have 9 seats (8 plus driver) which you can drive on a B licence. anything with more than 9 seats requires a D bus licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

hmm thats interesting, didnt see that.

Anyone know if this is with passengers+luggage or not?

as long as the weight of people+gear+van doesn't exceed the 3500kg limit you will be alright.

• Advertisement

I wasnt looking at anything expensive.

would this with only 7 seats in the back not be under 3500kg? its only a 2.4 diesel engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

bop1977 wrote: »
    as long as the weight of people+gear+van doesn't exceed the 3500kg limit you will be alright.

Its unladen weight, not laden

craichoe wrote: »

Ah ok well thats not too bad at all then.

If you modify say a 14 seater to 7 seater would the insurence company recognise this and for tax? or do u have to get it certified or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

craichoe wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it is maximum laden weight of the vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

unkel wrote: »
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

unkel wrote: »
    dutchcat wrote: »
    +1

+2

If it was unladen........then there would be no weight restrictions for EC (artics)

But how is a person in all honesty going to work that out?? weigh the empty vehicle, then weigh the people and luggage each time to make sure you are not over 3500kg's? Does the tax office check this or is there a certain unladen weight restiction aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

But how is a person in all honesty going to work that out?? weigh the empty vehicle, then weigh the people and luggage each time to make sure you are not over 3500kg's? Does the tax office check this or is there a certain unladen weight restiction aswell?
    afaik the tax book should have the gvw on it and it will be on a plate under the bonnet or inside the drivers door frame

Advertisement