Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just sowed root laurel hedging...need advice please

Options
  • 18-07-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive sowed a laurel hedge (the end of march) on top of a ditch which is sloping down to the garden. It was completely weed free at the time with good topsile throughout. But now the weeds have just completely taken over as I was unable to do manual work (weeding) for the past few months. So today Ive scraped the weeds off the side of the ditch with a minidigger, leaving fresh clay and no weeds, and I need a long term solution to stop the weeds growing back on the side of the ditch again. Could I sow a creeper of some description or will the weeds just bully their way through? Could I cover the side of the ditch with black plastic and sow a creeper that will spread every few feet maybe? Im not u pto speed with plant species.

On the top of the ditch the hedge is growing, but needs elbow grease and all the weeds need to be pulled. Because the hedge is young (bought the plants from root) I will have lots of problems with weeds until the hedge starts to really get going, which will be a few years. Could I get a spray that will kill weeds only and not the hedge?

Thanks in advance ,any answers or solutions to any of the above problems greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 iangriffin83

Hi,

I planted a Laurel hedge last year. To stop the weeds growing around the plants i used a weed killer called Pride. It is not as strong as Roundup but will do the job. To spray them i cut the bottom off a plastic bottle and put it around the nozzle of the sprayer to control the spray. That way you can get really close to the plant without spraying it.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

At our last house we had a hedge down each side of the garden, one side was beside the clothes line and the gravel path covered into the base of the hedge..
    No doubt it kept down weeds and the hedge grew at about 30% more than the other...
    Gravel, cheap to buy and easy to put down.. 3-4 inches keeps down weeds and lets moisture down

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Any of the roundup products contain GLYFOSATE. This can be found in many products that are a fraction of the cost of Roundup. Once the concentration of GLYFOSATE is 360 g/l present at 480 g/l acid, you have an exact copy of Roundup. Some of the names include, Rosate 36, Gallup, Glyfos, Scutchout 360. The way that these work is through the green leaf. The ingredient is moved through the chlorafil in the leaf, down to the root, kiling the enitre plant. Once you DON'T get the mixture on the green leaf you shouldn't do any harm as the ingriedient becomes inert on contact with the soil. I work in an agricultural store in Longford and have a bit of inside knowledge of these.....Hee Hee ;).

Advertisement