Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seafood Chowder

Options
  • 18-07-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

Would it be safe to eat chowder that was made on Wednesday. Its been kept in the fridge and looks ok. Such a shame to waste it, full of lovely fish and prawns. Too risky ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

It is a longish time but..

I always go by my sense of smell & a small taste. I believe its the best way.

If there is wine in the chowder, maybe that would help to conserve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Sedohre,
    Decided not to take the chance, I just binned it. Did not want the family to spend the weekend in the bathroom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

I definitely wouldn't have chanced it ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

would it be safe to freeze?
    Sorry, I know it is a dumb Q!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

jos28 wrote: »
    Decided not to take the chance, I just binned it. Did not want the family to spend the weekend in the bathroom :D

Rule number 1.....IF in DOUBT F**k it OUT!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Did you make this chowder yourself?

If so, any chance of the recipe being posted up?

My favourite restaurant serves the BEST chowder in the world, and I have been craving some of it. Unfortunately I am about a thousand miles away from said restaurant, so would love to have a go myself.

I can trade it for my legendary Guinness Stew recipe if you like?

Ta.

syklops wrote: »
    Did you make this chowder yourself?

If so, any chance of the recipe being posted up?

My favourite restaurant serves the BEST chowder in the world, and I have been craving some of it. Unfortunately I am about a thousand miles away from said restaurant, so would love to have a go myself.

I can trade it for my legendary Guinness Stew recipe if you like?

Ta.

For mine i use 1kg of fish bones (brill,turbot etc. get them from your local monger). pop them in a pot, add 1 full bulb of fennel, 1 large white onion, 2 cloves of garlic, and a bay leaf. (not origional fish stock recipe). fill pot with COLD water, bring to boil, simmer for 20 mins. Pass through a sive/strainer.

Sweat 1 large white onion with 4 full (green tips and all) leeks. season.
    When the veg is sweatted off, pop in 3 medium potatoes. add the fish stock, simmer until potatoes are cooked. (25/30 mins MAX) A good knob of butter to finish. NO CREAM!!! NO WINE!!

Blend it down with a soup gun or whatever utensil you have, maybe in 2 parts in a food processor.

I prefer to just use smoked haddock. Smoked coley or cod is cool too.

Basically its a potato and leek smoked haddock chowder. the sauce is potato and leek soup with the exception of using fish stock instead of water and fish bullion. I sell tonnes of portions every week,

My favourite restaurant serves the BEST chowder in the world,

Are you a customer of mine??? :P

Are you a customer of mine??? :P

Not if your based in cork.

Its in galway :(

Where is your Restaurant? I may have been in it!

Not if your based in cork.

Its in galway :(

Where is your Restaurant? I may have been in it!

Maybe not then. Its in clonakilty in west cork and i've only just opened it for the owners.

I did this when at the G in galway. Where is this restaurant you speak of? as in which galway establishment?

• Advertisement

Maybe not then. Its in clonakilty in west cork and i've only just opened it for the owners.

I did this when at the G in galway. Where is this restaurant you speak of? as in which galway establishment?

Morans of the Weir, a few miles from Clarenbridge, Co. Galway.

Order the chowder as a starter, and then a dozen fresh Oysters to follow, complimented with a few pints of guinness. Don't go there tomorrow obviously as the oysters are out of season.

And I would suggest dry white wine with the chowder not Uncle Arthur's Best.

Have not been in the G, but as part of my family is from West Cork, I may get opportunity to vist your restaurant some time in the future. Can you give the name? If your not comfortable with giving it on here can you PM me?

I assume the onions in your recipe, are whole and not chopped? Or are they chopped but strained out later?

Btw I am not a chef, so you are not giving secrets to a competitor here. Not unless I give up security to cook.

I shouldn't have said that should I?

Morans of the Weir, a few miles from Clarenbridge, Co. Galway.

Order the chowder as a starter, and then a dozen fresh Oysters to follow, complimented with a few pints of guinness. Don't go there tomorrow obviously as the oysters are out of season.

And I would suggest dry white wine with the chowder not Uncle Arthur's Best.

Have not been in the G, but as part of my family is from West Cork, I may get opportunity to vist your restaurant some time in the future. Can you give the name? If your not comfortable with giving it on here can you PM me?

I assume the onions in your recipe, are whole and not chopped? Or are they chopped but strained out later?

Btw I am not a chef, so you are not giving secrets to a competitor here. Not unless I give up security to cook.

I shouldn't have said that should I?

Don't go to the g now, its gone downhill and apparantly back to italian food....badly.

I run The Terrace upstairs @ O'Donovan's hotel.......The hotel itself isn't renound for its food, so opening a Restaurant in the middle of a recession is lunacy...but i'll get there.

Whole for the stock and chopped for the chowder.

And F.Y.I even if you were a chef, or writing a book, when it comes to food and especially food forums.....there are NO secrets. Everyone should be open and honest. :eek:

And i know morans well, i used to live in oranmore and for a spell further across in claregalway. The oyster fair in clarinbridge should be on the top of everyones "must visit" lists. I always laugh the way galway oyster festival and clarinbridge oyster festival are 1 week apart... WTF????

Don't go to the g now, its gone downhill and apparantly back to italian food....badly.

I run The Terrace upstairs @ O'Donovan's hotel.......The hotel itself isn't renound for its food, so opening a Restaurant in the middle of a recession is lunacy...but i'll get there.

Whole for the stock and chopped for the chowder.

And F.Y.I even if you were a chef, or writing a book, when it comes to food and especially food forums.....there are NO secrets. Everyone should be open and honest. :eek:

And i know morans well, i used to live in oranmore and for a spell further across in claregalway. The oyster fair in clarinbridge should be on the top of everyones "must visit" lists. I always laugh the way galway oyster festival and clarinbridge oyster festival are 1 week apart... WTF????

The prices of the G put my mother off, so we didnt go there.

What do you mean its gone back to Italian food? Thats the daftest idea I have heard in years. The G is in a spot that most 'oirish' restaurants/bars/etc would kill for. They should be serving fresh, good irish food, which the rish American tourists would be delighted to eat.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Americans or tourists, but IMO no-one in their right mind, with any kind of local knowledge would choose to stay there, at the price the were quoting for rooms.

You used to live in Oranmore? How long ago? We were possibly practical neighbours!

Have we hijacked this thread yet?

I am not going to say where I lived but it was nearby Oranmore.

Also, according to my dad, in recent years the Galway Oyster festival is to be avoided at all costs, and the clarinbridge one a must see. Though my fathers definition of "in recent years" could be as short as 5 and wind up in decades. The only time I ever played golf with him, he said:

Dad: Its years since I played golf.
    Me: When did you last play golf?
    Dad: Hmm, I think it was 1953....

Anyway, one small tip for you and, I suppose all boardsies, if you want to spy on the rich and famous, book a table at morans for one of the nights of next years Galway races. If possible get a table near the window and you can watch dozens of helicopters land, as their guests arrive for dinner. You get to see all kinds of shenanigans!

Anyway, Im off to bed. Keithincork, PM me some time and we can swap some more stories.

The prices of the G put my mother off, so we didnt go there.

What do you mean its gone back to Italian food? Thats the daftest idea I have heard in years. The G is in a spot that most 'oirish' restaurants/bars/etc would kill for. They should be serving fresh, good irish food, which the rish American tourists would be delighted to eat.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Americans or tourists, but IMO no-one in their right mind, with any kind of local knowledge would choose to stay there, at the price the were quoting for rooms.

You used to live in Oranmore? How long ago? We were possibly practical neighbours!

Have we hijacked this thread yet?

I am not going to say where I lived but it was nearby Oranmore.

Also, according to my dad, in recent years the Galway Oyster festival is to be avoided at all costs, and the clarinbridge one a must see. Though my fathers definition of "in recent years" could be as short as 5 and wind up in decades. The only time I ever played golf with him, he said:

Dad: Its years since I played golf.
    Me: When did you last play golf?
    Dad: Hmm, I think it was 1953....

Anyway, one small tip for you and, I suppose all boardsies, if you want to spy on the rich and famous, book a table at morans for one of the nights of next years Galway races. If possible get a table near the window and you can watch dozens of helicopters land, as their guests arrive for dinner. You get to see all kinds of shenanigans!

Anyway, Im off to bed. Keithincork, PM me some time and we can swap some more stories.

Ok long post but lets start at the begining, Yes we have hi-jacked the thread, but don't look now i think all the moderators are asleep :p

My x's family own books'n'more and the newsagents on the ground floor @ Orantown centre. It was about 3yrs ago i lived there and did a stint in their book store.

As for the prices, its 5star and the interior decor was designed by famous millner and top fashion man Philip Treacy( a galway man).

It looks like this
    BlueLoungeNight.jpg
    restaurantmain.jpg
    gHotelGalway2.jpggHotelGalway.jpg

Personally it looks tacky, but what do i know??

That coupled with the 5 star luxury service and all that goes with it prices are pretty competitive.

It origionally opened with the restaurant called Riva @ the g. It went through 6 head chefs in 18months. Then came Head chef Christopher jones, With a backgroung in michellen stared restaurants and a minimum of 3 AA rosettes.
    He put together a young team, (5) and all they'd give us was promoted pot washers as commis chefs/kitchen hands. We Ran at 2 AA rosette standard with the hopes of bringing it upwards. Things imploded, he left, they sacked the GM, we all left and after that i hear they've reverted to italian cuisine. From friends in the business who've eaten there since, Its awful.

As for the last bit, the tip for seeing the rich and z list famous...Been there done that. I attended the Make galway proud Charity event a few years back. "partied" the night away with galways finest, Then got brought into the residents bar with Mr.Tom Considine. When they wouldn't accept cash, just room keys, he gave me his, told me have what i want all night, and pass it around :D

Theres prob more to answer in your post, its late i'm lazy and i've l'tant floral judges arriving in 4 hrs! Tidy towns, but on a european level....And i've to cook for them............I'm going to sleep. right here, on my laptop.:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Take it to PMs folks, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

For mine i use 1kg of fish bones (brill,turbot etc. get them from your local monger). pop them in a pot, add 1 full bulb of fennel, 1 large white onion, 2 cloves of garlic, and a bay leaf. (not origional fish stock recipe). fill pot with COLD water, bring to boil, simmer for 20 mins. Pass through a sive/strainer.

Sweat 1 large white onion with 4 full (green tips and all) leeks. season.
    When the veg is sweatted off, pop in 3 medium potatoes. add the fish stock, simmer until potatoes are cooked. (25/30 mins MAX) A good knob of butter to finish. NO CREAM!!! NO WINE!!

Blend it down with a soup gun or whatever utensil you have, maybe in 2 parts in a food processor.

I prefer to just use smoked haddock. Smoked coley or cod is cool too.

Basically its a potato and leek smoked haddock chowder. the sauce is potato and leek soup with the exception of using fish stock instead of water and fish bullion. I sell tonnes of portions every week,

No to be a dick here Keith, but that's Cullen Skink (Scottish) not chowder (American).

It's a great recipe though, exactly how I make my skink.

Seaneh wrote: »
    No to be a dick here Keith, but that's Cullen Skink (Scottish) not chowder (American).

It's a great recipe though, exactly how I make my skink.

Welcome to ireland mate, home of the "not by the book" naming of dishes, and the know it all :P

I know what it is, and i'm sure many of my customers do too, i doubt they mind though. Do you think itd sell half as well on my menu as cullen skink? doubt it, everyone would have the waiter constantly explaining what on earth that actually is, where as a potato and leek based smoked haddock chowder, makes it simple for them to comprehend, and when it arrives gives them exactly what they want, chunks of fish and a bowl of sauce.

Sure all of us who know a little about food can argue the point that i'm not selling chowder in fact it's cullen skink, or that i'm miss-leading the customers, but lets be honest, its a restaurant, theres a recession on, people want to be fed something really tasty (which cullen skink is as you already know ), and we need to please the customer. their happy, i'm happy, boss is happy. One less on the dole que :D

Faith wrote: »
    Take it to PMs folks, thanks.

Cheers faith, apologies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Welcome to ireland mate, home of the "not by the book" naming of dishes, and the know it all :P

I know what it is, and i'm sure many of my customers do too, i doubt they mind though. Do you think itd sell half as well on my menu as cullen skink? doubt it, everyone would have the waiter constantly explaining what on earth that actually is, where as a potato and leek based smoked haddock chowder, makes it simple for them to comprehend, and when it arrives gives them exactly what they want, chunks of fish and a bowl of sauce.

Sure all of us who know a little about food can argue the point that i'm not selling chowder in fact it's cullen skink, or that i'm miss-leading the customers, but lets be honest, its a restaurant, theres a recession on, people want to be fed something really tasty (which cullen skink is as you already know ), and we need to please the customer. their happy, i'm happy, boss is happy. One less on the dole que :D

Ah yeah, I guess.

And I def wouldn't complain, I way prefer skink over american chowders (both milk based and tomato based) by a long way, much tastier!

Advertisement