Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teacher assistant

• 18-07-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hello!

I would like to ask your opinion on my situation, please.

My qualification is a Primary School Teacher and Child Team organiser. (I finished 4 years fulltime college in Ukraine). I worked in Ukrainian school for two years and enjoyed it very much! My last class what I was teaching was children with speech difficulties.
    When I came here I did not speak English, also I found out that primary school teachers must know Irish language too, so I decided that career in teaching here want work for me and gave up thinking about it.
    This year my child went to school and I understood how much I love, miss teaching and working in a school.
    Now I am studying in CIT, I am doing last year of Bachelor Degree in Human Resource Management by night. ( I like this course too, but deep inside I feel that I like more teaching).
    I was thinking, with this education what I have at the moment can I be a teacher assistant or any other job in school?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Hi Nikitka it's great to see your enthusiasm about teaching! Unfortunately we don't really have classroom assistants here in Ireland. I've heard of a few schools that have them but I think their Boards of Management must pay for them, the Department doesn't employ them as far as I know. I don't know of any school that has any classroom assistants myself.

There are special needs assistants in most schools but it seems to be very difficult to get one of these positions at the moment as the Department has been cutting down on them over the past year, and is threatening to make further cuts this year.

I hope you do find something that you enjoy, sorry to give you so much bad news! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 nikitka

E.T. wrote: »
    Hi Nikitka it's great to see your enthusiasm about teaching! Unfortunately we don't really have classroom assistants here in Ireland. I've heard of a few schools that have them but I think their Boards of Management must pay for them, the Department doesn't employ them as far as I know. I don't know of any school that has any classroom assistants myself.

There are special needs assistants in most schools but it seems to be very difficult to get one of these positions at the moment as the Department has been cutting down on them over the past year, and is threatening to make further cuts this year.

I hope you do find something that you enjoy, sorry to give you so much bad news! Good luck!

Hi, E.T. thanks very much for your reply and for clarifying situation! It is a pity really I love children and love to teach them!

It is ok anyway I like HR too, so now I will be more concentrate in this field.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

E.T. wrote: »
    Unfortunately we don't really have classroom assistants here in Ireland. I've heard of a few schools that have them but I think their Boards of Management must pay for them, the Department doesn't employ them as far as I know.

As far as I know Junior Schools in DEIS areas that have the Early Start Programme have a Teachers Assistant employed & paid by the DES to assist teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Thanks for that info J.R. I didn't know that (obviously!). That might be work looking into so nikitka.

J.R. wrote: »
    As far as I know Junior Schools in DEIS areas that have the Early Start Programme have a Teachers Assistant employed & paid by the DES to assist teacher.

Thanks very much J.R.! DEIS areas, never heard about it, how can i find information about what schools are in DEIS areas?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Hi Nikita. Here are a list of the DEIS schools in Ireland:

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/deis_school_list.htm

hayser wrote: »
    Hi Nikita. Here are a list of the DEIS schools in Ireland:

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/deis_school_list.htm

Thanks very much, Hayser, you very good!;)

Advertisement