Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Your favourite fishing books

• 18-07-2009 9:51pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How do I find out ..... the question just comes up again and again.
    So I thought it might be good to have a thread where we list our favourite fishing books to help us pick up on what others know (that we have not yet learned), and then "fill the knowledge base gaps" so to speak.

No consideration to books in print in just this first post. This is my best of all time list for certain sub categories of angling knowledge, where it's worth the hassle of getting it if that's your type of angling. Some may only be available from secondhand booksellers, but the newer ones are in the shops, or online. Where it's a downloadable pdf a google might get it for you for free.

Info, Insight & Practise:
    Salmon fly fishing masterclass: "Flying Salmon" by G.P.R Balfour Kinnear
    Traditional lake fly fishing: "Trout from a Boat" by Dennis Moss
    Trout habits, feeding and behaviour: "Brown trout in Ireland" by Dr Martin O'Grady
    Irish Sea Fishing: "The Sea Angler Afloat & Ashore" by Desmond Brennan
    Trolling & understanding structure: "Spoonplugging" by Buck Perry
    Irish Coarse fishing locations: "Coarse Fishing in Ireland" by Hugh Gough
    Lake trout fly fishing: "Fly Fishing Still Waters for Trophy Trout" by Denny Rickards

Angling inner thoughts - for sheer reading pleasure:
    "Casting At The Sun The Reflections Of A Carp Fisher" by Chris Yates

Please add your own to the list.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

For a bunch of good general purpose fly patterns: Good Flies and How They Got That Way by John Geirach

And for pure comedy when you've blanked all day: Never Sniff a Gift Fish and They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? by Pat McManus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

i want to answer this properly but can't right now. i'll make a list during the week and i want to google that list above.

'trout bum' by john Gierach is my favourite.

'rod and line' by arthur ransome as narrated by the great Michael Hordern is a heartbreaker.

the accidental angler by charles rangeley wilson, a little cracker of a read, and the bbc programme that he did was great.

i have 2 dozen others but i haven't either read them or finished them, i'll list them during the week.

the 3 above will not be improved on, only joined alongside as the finest.

btw medlar press is an angling book publisher whose website is definitely worth a visit.

greatest shame: i have a dozen irish titles i havent read including ' a man may fish' by t.c. kingsmill moore, one of the most famous angling titles. that is in the top 10 of the 200 titles (not all fishing thank god) i have that i need to read this year.

will finish list later, thanks coolwings for urs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 igotone

Fly Fishing - JR Harteley

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

For pure readig enjoyment, two classics by Irish authors;

Fishing and Thinking - AA Luce
    A Man May Fish - TC Kingsmill-Moore

For general reference info on game fishing or fly tying/selection in Ireland I consider Peter O'Reilly's books to be as good as any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

"Salmon Fishing" and "Sea Trout Fishing" both by Hugh Falkus, fantastic reads and great information.
    "A Man May Fish" by T.C. Kingsmill Moore.
    "In Search of Silver" a collection of short stories about salmon fishing in various countries, really great book.
    "Hooked on Bass" by Vaughan and Ladle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Excellent suggestions lads, my reading list is filling up.

Good novel about the fishing life:
    A River runs Through it, by Norman Maclean

Insights into river trout fishing and how they see the fly underwater:
    The Trout and the Fly, by Goddard and Clarke

Online summary of knowledge on the biology of the brown trout :
    Brown Trout (Salmo trutta): A Technical Conservation Assessment by Laura Belica, Prepared for the USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Region, Species Conservation Project
    Link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/projects/scp/assessments/browntrout.pdf

Enjoy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

gentlemen i know this is an old thread but i have to mention 'tying flies in the irish style' by EJ Malone, an excellent book for anyome interested in irish fly tying style and irish fly fishing.
    'A man may fish' is the best irish book narrowly beating O Gorman 'the practise of angling in ireland' into second place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Some more ....

Specimen Hunting the underlying skills and philosophy:
    Still Water Angling by Richard Walker

Modern Specimen Hunting:
    "Tench" by Len Head
    "Catching Big Tench" Len Arbery
    "Carp Sense" by Jim Gibbonson (or just about any other book by Jim Gibbonson or Kevin Maddocks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 THE 1

For me the top book would be "Trout from a boat" by Dennis Moss, its a brillant read and a book you will go back to time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Tench - Len Head
    A Time for Tench - Chris Turnbull
    Casting at the Sun - Chris Yates
    The Complete Book of the Roach - Dr Mark Everard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 firephish

'trout bum' by john Gierach is my favourite.

the accidental angler by charles rangeley wilson, a little cracker of a read, and the bbc programme that he did was great.

In a similar vein The Longest Silence by Thomas McGuane is a great read.

especially the first chapter set in ireland!

i'm waiting on another half dozen titles ordered from www.betterworldbooks.com by John Gierach. his writing style is like Mark Twain, more going on than first appears.

I'm building up few more titles for the winter and will mention them after i've read'em.

i'm a huge Ray Mears fan, the bushcraft stuff i love. anyway i just finished Ray Mears Goes Walkabout about the pioneering adventurers in Australia. Not enough bushcraft in my opinion. anyway if anyone here is a big fan of his they can have my copy, just pm me and i'll put it in the post once i pm you back for your address. i'll be honest, its not a great book, so only take it if you are a genuine fan of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

For great writing:
    Thomas McGuane: The Longest Silence, outstanding writing
    Instructional
    Bob Wyatt: Trout Hunting: The Pursuit of Happiness

two great books

steve

just ordered the trout hunting title for a fiver online. damn u sir!

no one likes Ray Mears? that book is still available, decided that if u want it u have to name the kirk douglas movie about the ww2 norwegians who ray mears made a documentary about

or the name of the Polish brothers who fought the Nazi's that Mears made a brilliant documentary about and was probably not acknowledged for in the recent hollywood telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm reading "River Fly Fishing - The Complete Guide" by Peter Lapsley and I find it a great book when you need to know pretty much everything there is to know about fly fishing in rivers (as the name suggests!).

He's english and speak of rivers in the UK a lot but the man knows his stuff! Would recommend for novice anglers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

'The great trout and salmon loughs of ireland' by bill rawlings, 2002. good read for the game fisher if you are into course give it a miss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some good suggestions here, ordered a few for Christmas at the weekend so hopefully they'll arrive on time. My dad has a few Peter O'Reilly ones from the 1990s so I went for his more recent one: Loughs of Ireland: A Flyfisher's Guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

My buddy sent me in the direction of bookdepository.co.uk last week as I was looking for something unrelated to angling but when I checked fishing books there were thousands! Seriously cheap and free shipping. Alas I have bought way too much off the internet lately to buy more stuff but could be worth a look for ye fishy book worms :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yep, used them before and the Peter O' Reilly book arrived this morning.

All arrived safe and sound this morning and they're now wrapped. Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

I'm reading "River Fly Fishing - The Complete Guide" by Peter Lapsley and I find it a great book when you need to know pretty much everything there is to know about fly fishing in rivers (as the name suggests!).

He's english and speak of rivers in the UK a lot but the man knows his stuff! Would recommend for novice anglers.

My Favourite book too. Less intense then "Trout Hunting" and more applicable to our rivers. After the golden pages ad, Lapsley did release a book called Fly Fishing under the name of JR Hartely. Its hard to get (like the ad) but there are a few on ebay, but every time I set a reserve for it, the price way exceeds that! He Did it tongue in cheek but it sold way more than he thought it ever would. little trivia for ya!

Advertisement