Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ok looks like I'm not giving sonic team their dues, they did make Sonic 3 and Sonic and knuckles and also developed samba de amigo, PSO and chu chu rocket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I guess no one can be consistently brilliant.
    Perhaps Sonic Team should stick to great games like Samba De Amigo and brave experiments like Billy Hatcher instead of reheating the Sonic series with invariably disastrous results.

I wonder what a Neo Geo AES/MVS 2d Sonic could've been like? Imagine if the guys who gave us Metal Slug had got their hands on it! It would have been wonderful, certainly a lt better than the various last and current gen attempts to bring Sonic back to the masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A Nazca made 2d Sonic on the Neo Geo?

I can't put across into words how cool a thing that would be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Was sorting out the Megadrive stuff the other evening, found a game I could never get into, Skitchin, anyone else play this one?
    It uses the engine of Road Rash and Lotus but is to do with skaters, hanging onto passing vehicles and such, kinda odd.

Master of the Universe

I have a friend who was obsessed with that game. I keep meaning to buy it for when he comes over as a suprise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Was sorting out the Megadrive stuff the other evening, found a game I could never get into, Skitchin, anyone else play this one?
    It uses the engine of Road Rash and Lotus but is to do with skaters, hanging onto passing vehicles and such, kinda odd.

Brilliant game, rented it out in the 1990s and loved it. Not as good as Road Rash, takes a little getting used to, but its still cool.

Master of the Universe

So, anyone playing anything intereresting?

I've been hooked on Super Metroid for the last couple of days. I think I'm about 60% through....and I STILL can't stop saying to myself 'wow! This game is ****ing amazing!' every half hour or so.

I love SOTN but this is even more compelling. I literally just can't put the pad down. 'Just one more new area to be explored and then I'll stop..just one more'

Why it took me 15 years to get around to playing it I just don't know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'm afraid I'm in non-retro mode at the moment, playing with my neglected PS3. But my US DC is dropping "any day now", so I'll be back in action then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

corblimey wrote: »
    But my US DC is dropping "any day now", so I'll be back in action then.

Just wondering if anyone here ever tried the region change protocol for the DC? http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=70904 Lets you change it to either JAP, EU or US region. Nearly wet myself reading the end of the thread when it was posted that there was a multiregion bios, but turns out it's not true.

Anyway, on-topic, I played a bit of Crazy Taxi yesterday - "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!"
    (Offspring - All I want).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

o1s1n wrote: »
    Spent some time today testing out Granada on the Megadrive. Great game! Better than I thought it would be. Like a mix of Gauntlet, Micro Machines and Bangai-O Spirits. I'm suprised it doesn't get mentioned more often.
    It's an absolute classic , mate of mine had a jap import copy of it and it got a lot of playalthough for years we thought it was called granadaX if you see the game art it looks like theres an X at the end:)

• Advertisement

Playing Castlevania SOTN and Legacy of Kain via the PS3 at the moment
    well worth getting a US prepaid PSN card for em'
    The lack of PS1 games on the Euro store is criminal!

Brought the Megadrive down to the big screen TV the other day, playing a spot of Sonic and Virtua Racing, still great.
    My 6 year old really likes Land of Illusion, the wife actually like Ecco so maybe, just maybe we could have a break through, we can only hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Playing Castlevania SOTN and Legacy of Kain via the PS3 at the moment
    well worth getting a US prepaid PSN card for em'
    The lack of PS1 games on the Euro store is criminal!

Just finished Blood Omen today meself, such a great game.

I still have €8 left over on my account, torn between Soul Reaver, Silent Hill and Wild Arms 1. Decisions decisions :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hi, my name is Stephen and I'm a pokemon junkie :(

Master of the Universe

It's an absolute classic , mate of mine had a jap import copy of it and it got a lot of playalthough for years we thought it was called granadaX if you see the game art it looks like theres an X at the end:)

Wow, you have to be the only other person I've ever heard of mention that game. I have a Japanese copy too (I know what you mean about the logo alright).

Actually the Japanese copy I picked up was from ebay Ireland. I wonder was it your mates? :pac:

Really is fun though. I keep meaning to go back to it again. Love when you do the big shot with the tank and the screen shakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So, anyone playing anything intereresting?

I've been hooked on Super Metroid for the last couple of days. I think I'm about 60% through....and I STILL can't stop saying to myself 'wow! This game is ****ing amazing!' every half hour or so.

I love SOTN but this is even more compelling. I literally just can't put the pad down. 'Just one more new area to be explored and then I'll stop..just one more'

Why it took me 15 years to get around to playing it I just don't know!

Anyone know if EU Super Metroid on VC has terrible slowdown like most EU snes games?

Anyone know if EU Super Metroid on VC has terrible slowdown like most EU snes games?

Yes and it has dirty black borders and the music is all slowed down.

Pokemon, a game series I could never get into, at the time of it's launch here, back in the day, it was aimed at kids in conjunction with the cartoon and eventual movie, at this stage I was more interested in the Dreamcast and Playstation!
    If it was retro at the time it was Megadrive and Snes on an Emu on the PC.
    Now I see the behemoth the Pokemon series has become but I do regret missing this particular boat, and I don't reckon I'll ever find the time to play Pokemon at all, :(

Just as well I have Gears Of War and Tempest 3K to keep me warm so!

Master of the Universe

Good question.

I have no idea if Wii virtual console games have been PAL optimised. They really should have been. If not then that's one lazy move from Nintendo.

OR maybe to stop being going 'why is my game broked?! the music sounds different and it plays too fast...'

Maybe an option of 50/60hz on startup?

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Damn. I knew it felt really stiff when playing especially when jumping. I guess homebrew emulators for wii can sort that for me.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You serious yeah?

Ffs!

It was partially excusable 15 years ago when nobody had 60hz televisions.

But now?

Pff. Bad form Nintendo. Bad form.

Yep Nintendo are just throwing the PAL roms up on to the VC.

As for Pokemon you'd be amazed at how deep it is and it's actually quite humourous. It's made for kids but anyone of anyage can enjoy it. And the cartoon was brilliant! :)

Pokemon games ahve a ridiculous level of deth to the combat system, one of the only RPG games i have played where Poison and Confuse type spells/moves have any use after the first 30 minutes. That and the Effort Points system hidden within the game (the hidden values that determine what stats your pokemon will gain after each level, read up on it here http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values )

Wow, you have to be the only other person I've ever heard of mention that game. I have a Japanese copy too (I know what you mean about the logo alright).

Actually the Japanese copy I picked up was from ebay Ireland. I wonder was it your mates? :pac:

Really is fun though. I keep meaning to go back to it again. Love when you do the big shot with the tank and the screen shakes!
    Heh could be , although I'd hazard a guess it may have come from the same importer originally a Dude named Paul who ran a tiny place called PES consoles in terenure.Nice guy ,but I think the local kids used the place more as a free arcade.
    Always loved the second level , the one on the huge Jet!

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Just finished Blood Omen today meself, such a great game.

I still have €8 left over on my account, torn between Soul Reaver, Silent Hill and Wild Arms 1. Decisions decisions :rolleyes:
    I actually picked up soul reaver as well , good game but its a totally different beast than the original BO game (it's tomb raider with fangs rather than zelda with fangs)

Master of the Universe

As much fun as Soul Reaver is, it's a real shame we didn't get a true sequel to Legacy of Kain. :( Fantastic game.

As much fun as Soul Reaver is, it's a real shame we didn't get a true sequel to Legacy of Kain. :( Fantastic game.
    Blood Omen 2 was about as close as you'll get to a proper sequel .
    Oddly enough I've the 5 games split over 5 different systems .(I bought Lok and Soul reaver on the PS3 as I dont have the original disks anymore)

PS1:Legacy of Kain
    DC:Soul Reaver
    PC:Soul Reaver 2
    GC:Legacy of Kain 2
    PS2:Legacy of Kain:Defiance.

Aye, was quite suprised how mature it was, the whole drinking chained up slaves blood and the quotes from Kain describing the places he is in. I loved Soul Reaver back in the day of the PS1, but it has aged VERY poorly over the years.

Master of the Universe

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Aye, was quite suprised how mature it was, the whole drinking chained up slaves blood and the quotes from Kain describing the places he is in. I loved Soul Reaver back in the day of the PS1, but it has aged VERY poorly over the years.

I actually found Legacy of Kain quite shocking when I was younger. There was a disregard for human life that you didn't tend to see in games back then.

I haven't paid any attention to the series after Soul Reaver. Must Check out Blood Omen 2!

• Advertisement

Damn you o1s1n!

You have me playing Super Metroid. When i'm playing it, I can't move fast enough (don't mean a fault). I'm already starting to wall jump and can't wait for speed boots.

Reminds me of playing Metroid: Zero Mission on GBA. As soon as i found out about speedruns, all I wanted to do was rush through the game as fast as possible.

Master of the Universe

I'm so crap at the wall jump! I can't do it on command. Probably 2 times out of 3.

The problem really arises though when I try and do a second wall jump off that.

Super Metroid, one word review,

Awesome!

Definitely one of games that defined the first half of the 90's for me, pure brilliance.

A but scary though that the Snes is coming up on 20 years old!
    The Megadrive already past that birthday!!!
    As did the Gameboy!

Man, now I feel old!

The trick to wall jumping is to jump to the wall then press away from the wall and then press jumo well after you press away from the wall. You should see samus's animation change when you press away from the wall which indicates you can press jump.

I wish i had one of the Super Famicon wii controllers for Super Metroid

pa.112911.3.jpg

Damn Club Nintendo Japan

Master of the Universe

The trick to wall jumping is to jump to the wall then press away from the wall and then press jumo well after you press away from the wall. You should see samus's animation change when you press away from the wall which indicates you can press jump.

Thanks man! I'll give it a try again.

I wish i had one of the Super Famicon wii controllers for Super Metroid

Damn Club Nintendo Japan

That's really nice! I wonder is there any way of picking up a second hand one on ebay...they might be expensive.

Actually on that note, do you not have a Snes to play it on no? Everyone needs a Snes!

• Advertisement

Actually on that note, do you not have a Snes to play it on no? Everyone needs a Snes!

I have a Wii that likes to pretend its a Japanese Super Famicon playing Metroid 3 ;)

That controller is a thing of beauty, why oh why won't they release that stuff?
    I'd like a Wii N64 controller, in preperation for the day of glory when Pilotwings 64 gets translated and the gates of heaven will open, gods I love that game!

Pilotwings 64 is one of the few N64 games I don't have but would love to get my hands on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Thats a really nice controller! I need to get a new SNES. Never get free SNES's off gumtree :P If I did have an operational one I'd start buying games for it, I currently only have Street Fighter 2 for it.

Pilotwings 64 is one of the few N64 games I don't have but would love to get my hands on.

It's a smashing game, much better than the Snes original.
    When you eventually get the birdsuit you can fly around each island to your hearts content, fantastic.

Only possible niggle is the frame rate seems to drop to single figures from time to time, but otherwise is a fantastic game, well worth finding.

And here's two,

http://cgi.ebay.ie/N64-GAME-PILOTWINGS-64-BOXED-COMPLETE-PAL_W0QQitemZ220508253461QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item335750ed15

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nintendo-64-game-PILOTWINGS-JAP-NTSC-N64-JAPANESE_W0QQitemZ110456906727QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item19b7bea3e7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

It may be possible to make that Wii controller by cannibalising the Wii classic controller and a SNES controller. Hmmm, do I smell a project coming up...

Whatever happened to this yoke anyway? http://www.everyjoe.com/articles/3-in-1-wii-retro-adapter-more-juice-for-vc/

Master of the Universe

I had a look and you can pick them up on ebay alright. Little pricy..probably more than you'd be willing to spend on a controller.

Now that seems like better value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

There are some adapters for SNES and NES controllers to Wii on eBay USA, $10 cost plus $15 postage.

Master of the Universe

Been playing Super Metroid a lot this week and finally just finished it. They sure don't make em like that any more. Fantastic stuff.

On to Final Fantasy IX tomorrow methinks!

Been playing Super Metroid a lot this week and finally just finished it. They sure don't make em like that any more. Fantastic stuff.

On to Final Fantasy IX tomorrow methinks!

Actually, they do, or at least did, with almost every Castlevania game since, and including Symphony Of The Night!
    It's like Super Metroid has lived on, but in Vampire hunter form!
    And that's forgetting to mention the GBA sequel/prequels Zero Mission and Fusion, both of which recapture that Super Metroid Mojo.

So, to recap, we want a DS retrospective on the whole 2D Metroid series, like the recent brilliant Kirby game on the DS, including all of her adventures so far, thank you very much...

Master of the Universe

Actually, they do, or at least did, with almost every Castlevania game since, and including Symphony Of The Night!
    It's like Super Metroid has lived on, but in Vampire hunter form!
    And that's forgetting to mention the GBA sequel/prequels Zero Mission and Fusion, both of which recapture that Super Metroid Mojo.

So, to recap, we want a DS retrospective on the whole 2D Metroid series, like the recent brilliant Kirby game on the DS, including all of her adventures so far, thank you very much...

When I said 'They sure don't make em like that any more', I mean't games of that calibur/quality! Not style. :p

Actually you've just reminded me, I need to finish SOTN too. I've gotten stuck in it but don't want to go anywhere near a walkthrough.

Edit\ I know it's not exactly retro, but anyone out there get Zelda: Spirit tracks? I have it ready to go on my DS. Don't know whether to play that, FF IX or SOTN.

Too much choice is sometime a bad thing!

Love the ending of Super Metroid. What did you think of it?

O1s1n, apologies,
    regarding SOTC problem, got to gamefaqs and select a walkthroughof the game, but use the index to find the part you are stuck in and only read that, easy enough done, most of the longer faqs have an index, just use the find function on your browser to get to the part of the documnent you want, then delete the page, save spoiling the rest for you.

As for the ending of Super Metroid, it was cool wasn't it?
    I must play it again, I have the cart only :( upstairs, but it has nasty german subtitles I can't turn off :(:(
    Nevertheless, worth going back to, if I ever run out of things to play!
    I reckon you lot have a lot more free time to play than I do!

Played Sonic 2 again for the first time in ages, it's still fantastic!

Master of the Universe

Ah it was brilliant. The tension was unreal.
    Was almost shouting at the screen when Mother brain got back up and started attacking the Metroid. Poor little ****er /sob

I then almost had a heart attack when I realized after killing Mother Brain I had control over Samus again and a clock was counting down. I actually made some really retarded path choices when escaping the first time and the counter got to zero just as I was about to jump on the ship! So I had to do the whole final boss sequence again. Didn't mind though, was easy enough on the second run.

I got the under 10 hour ending. (Took about 8 hours) So no Bikini Samus, but I did get to see her face.

Only got 64% complete though. So another play through is on the cards at some point in the future.

Master of the Universe

O1s1n, apologies,
    regarding SOTC problem, got to gamefaqs and select a walkthroughof the game, but use the index to find the part you are stuck in and only read that, easy enough done, most of the longer faqs have an index, just use the find function on your browser to get to the part of the documnent you want, then delete the page, save spoiling the rest for you.

It's actually more to do with pride to be honest. I like being able to say I got through a game without any help at all. I may have to give in and do what you mentioned alright :(

The main problem though is that I am aimlessly wandering the castle not knowing where to go. Most of it is uncovered. I have a feeling it's something to do with the clock in the centre. One of the paths from it is blocked off though.

As for the ending of Super Metroid, it was cool wasn't it?
    I must play it again, I have the cart only :( upstairs, but it has nasty german subtitles I can't turn off :(:(
    Nevertheless, worth going back to, if I ever run out of things to play!
    I reckon you lot have a lot more free time to play than I do!

Played Sonic 2 again for the first time in ages, it's still fantastic!

That German subtitle thing seems to be a PAL standard on all carts! Silly move. Would have been simple to include an 'off' setting. It was either an oversight or they wanted to teach kids to speak a foreign language too :pac:

There's an option for French if that makes any difference...!

If you're going to play the cart I'd reccomend changing the battery if you haven't already. The first time I tried to play through it on mine the battery died half way through. Very painful experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement