Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yup. Even though I havent even hooked up the wii yet I bought a game at lunch. House of the dead 2&3 for €5.99.

Missed them all those years ago.

Now all I need to do is get a gun accessorie thing. :D

I got this one back when HOTD Overkill came out:
    http://www.unigamesity.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/01/hand-cannon.jpg

With the Wii Remote loaded into it, it's a bit front heavy, so gets tiring to use over long sessions, but is fun, and feels good!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Have been playing Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion on the GBA recently, neither are best in class but decent enough. If I can make it to the end of either of them I'll try Advance Wars 2 next. Really enjoying the GBA with the screen mod though. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Have been playing Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion on the GBA recently, neither are best in class but decent enough. If I can make it to the end of either of them I'll try Advance Wars 2 next. Really enjoying the GBA with the screen mod though. :)

I loved Minish Cap, a lovely lovely game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Super Star Wars on the SNES, what a nostalgic game for me.
    http://youtu.be/ZugFflZ7aYA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Super Meat Boy.

I spent the better part of an hour eking out a 'W' on one of the Hell levels. Of course, I immediately ran into the Mrs.Saturn and bellowed 'Bow before me, for I am your god!' Less than receptive, I was greeted with a stoic 'you spent an hour on that one level? Maybe platformers aren't your genre.'

Yes, reader, I married trolldom's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »
    Super Star Wars on the SNES, what a nostalgic game for me.
    http://youtu.be/ZugFflZ7aYA

Some damn cheap levels in it though.
    But the sequels were worse, look great but incredibly hard.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Some damn cheap levels in it though.
    But the sequels were worse, look great but incredibly hard.

Yeah some rock hard platforming where every enemy knocked you off your perch ! Start again grrrrr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got a new PC and I've mostly been playing Cannon Fodder on it. Such a simple game yet there's so much to it. Except the vehicles which control like ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

After a few futile days of trying to do well at Tropico 1 (**** you military discontent!), I switched to Sim City 4 Deluxe. Seems pretty good so far

eddhorse wrote: »
    Yeah some rock hard platforming where every enemy knocked you off your perch ! Start again grrrrr

That frakking sandcrawler, and the first level in SESB and pretty much all of SRoTJ.
    I played some of Indiana Jones Adventures and it's a bit more balanced than the Star Wars games, plus you get to ride a liferaft down a snowy mountain side, in glorious mode 7!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been playing this game of cannon fodder as an iron man challenge, if a soldier dies there's no reloading the level. Was doing pretty well, had only lost stoo up to mission 6. Then there was a blood bath. Lost Jop, RJ, UBik, Chris and another nobody to bazooka fire, god damn those guys. Jools got promoted to general but I'm not sure it was worth the loss of so many good men.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Been playing this game of cannon fodder as an iron man challenge, if a soldier dies there's no reloading the level. Was doing pretty well, had only lost stoo up to mission 6. Then there was a blood bath. Lost Jop, RJ, UBik, Chris and another nobody to bazooka fire, god damn those guys. Jools got promoted to general but I'm not sure it was worth the loss of so many good men.

War has never been so much fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cannon Fodder, loved that game back in the day, so much character squeezed into tiny amounts of pixels, not to much so much human suffering packed into tiny amounts of pixels!

I had a lash at Virtua Racing on the MD at 60Hz and it's a revelation, brilliant stuff!

Didn't play anything on the WiiU, despite squeezing in 30 minutes, spent it entering in Club Nintendo codes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Played through Shock Troopers 2 today. Hori cab hasn't been getting much love since I'm down to only one step down so thought she deserves to be fired up :)

I've been using a new Seimitsu stick on the Pony/Ibara for so long now that it's made the sticks on the SNK cab feel really tired. Going to have to get some replacements!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Playing Intrusion 2. It's a Gunstar/Metal Slug hybrid with funky physics, it can go a bit QWOP at times. Still, playing lumps out of it, so it's getting something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Now playing Destruction Derby 2. It is fantastic!! If anybody else plays it please tell me!

LoganRice wrote: »
    Now playing Destruction Derby 2. It is fantastic!! If anybody else plays it please tell me!

I played it to death back in the day, but never really went back to it.
    It certainly was a far better game then the glorified tech demo that was the original.
    I have it in the collection, must have a blast at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Never played any of the Shin Mega Ten games until I popped Persona 3 Portable in the PSP yesterday. Have clocked up over 8 hours already and am finding it a lot of fun :D

blag wrote: »
    Never played any of the Shin Mega Ten games until I popped Persona 3 Portable in the PSP yesterday. Have clocked up over 8 hours already and am finding it a lot of fun :D

Look Retr0! A new friend!

• Advertisement

Shin Megami Tensei, the huggies pull ups of JRPGs from when you graduate from the diapers of Final Fantasy.

Based on that analogy, are Legends of the Dragoon players walking around with a stinking 3 day old nappy, full of urine, faeces and smelling of ammonia and a cow barn?

Was playing Broken Sword Director's Cut at the weekend with Sera. Still a wonderful game. The Director's cut adds a load of new scenes that flesh out Nico that are very good although the cryptographic puzzles had use stumped for a long time. One weird thing is that the new scenes have much higher quality sound than the old ones but it's only a minor niggle.

Playing Demon's Souls, finally beat 1-1. Not really a retro game but still hard as nails like the good old days.
    Playing as a royal really helped since the last time I tried as a knight.

Ed

Those games actively hate me.
    I can hear them cackle as I press start...
    It's not long before I am pressing continue... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Was playing Metal Slug 6 on the 161-1 cart last night. Looks like a hack job to be honest, voice overs don't match the level numbers etc..

What's the deal with the cloud dispensing lightening, does it automatically assume I suck and need the help ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Shin Megami Tensei, the huggies pull ups of JRPGs from when you graduate from the diapers of Final Fantasy.

I think it's fair to say I never graduated from the Final Fantasy nappy stage, I could count on one hand the amount of hoursI put into the series.

In more familiar territory for me I've been working on a 1cc with Darius Burst. It's a beautiful little game and by far the best shmup I've played on a handheld.

Master of the Universe

Was playing Metal Slug 6 on the 161-1 cart last night. Looks like a hack job to be honest, voice overs don't match the level numbers etc..

What's the deal with the cloud dispensing lightening, does it automatically assume I suck and need the help ?

That Metal Slug 6 is a hack of Metal Slug 3. Don't bother with it, it's awful.

The real Metal Slug 6 is an Atomiswave game.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Those games actively hate me.
    I can hear them cackle as I press start...
    It's not long before I am pressing continue... :(

There isn't even lives or continues, that's how twisted they are !! Take all the time you want, all the wikis, YouTube clips and guidance you want, it's still gonna be hardship ! 4 hours to figure out the first level :(

• Advertisement

Started playing the new X-Com. Not a patch on the original but still excellent. Had one casualty already, an Irish guy I called drunken paddy. Massacred on his first sortie with not even a kill under his belt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah Im playing Enemy Unknown at the moment too, really enjoying it. Kudos to Firaxis for finally figuring out RTS controls on a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Playing Star Ocean First Departure on PSP. First star ocean game i've played and enjoying it so far.

Some of the voice acting is a little cringe, especially in battles, but the battle system itself is pretty decent.

Yeah Im playing Enemy Unknown at the moment too, really enjoying it. Kudos to Firaxis for finally figuring out RTS controls on a console.

Well it's turn based not a RTS so you can take your time so it suits a console and stuff like FF Tactics, Fire emblem and Tactics Ogre had those same controls nailed down years ago.

It's missing so much of the complexity that made the original one of the best games I've ever played but then again this one was easy to pick up and play whereas it took a while for me to get my head around the original and for it to click with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Crash 2 right now, just got the red crystal and it stalled....and it's the digital copy at that....

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

After playing MGS2 for half an hour last night, it’s become apparent that when I’m told ‘stealth’, I hear ‘be a bull in a china shop’. ‘Stay out of sight’, the Colonel says. I say ‘Balls to this, I want to get heavy handed with the analogue stick and run into a bunch of lads, unarmed, and be chased and shot at for ten minutes’.

And Rose appears to be the neediest female I’ve ever encountered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

That's exactly how I play Metal Gear too... sometimes I chance my arm running down a corridor to get to the next area with just enough health left to survive as it takes more time to be crafty about it.

I love the Metal Gear games... but I'm also ****e at them! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Rose: jack do you know what day it is

Raiden: no i don't know what is it ?

rose: its okay , just concentrate on your misson

Raiden: -_________-

Ohhh god I just had flashbacks of I NEED SCISSORS.... 61!!!!

avatan... hold me...

JUMP CROUCH HIDE TOGGLE MAPS TEABAG... TEABAG...

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    JUMP CROUCH HIDE TOGGLE MAPS TEABAG... TEABAG...

Well, it's no wonder you suck at the game if you insist on mixing up gameplay with sexual adventurism, such as teabagging!

Master of the Universe

Finished off Fire Emblem this evening. What a fantastic game. Addictive time sink - really worth it though. Couldn't recommend it more.

There's so much extra content in the game. I think I've almost 10 spot pass side quests to go back and finish.

Would love to start it all over again on the hard setting but I just don't have the time.

Zelda : Link To The Past on the GBA will be my game of choice for the next week as there's a lot of travelling on the cards. Haven't played it since I was, at a guess, 7. I am excited.

Master of the Universe

Started playing Secret of Evermore yesterday. Amazing how it instantly feels like it was made in America rather than Japan. Something really clunky about it, both the visuals and the controls.

It gets a lot of hate but I maintain it's still a great game just not Secret of Mana great.

Yup, Zelda : LTTP is proving to be absolutely brilliant on the GBA. It's making a painfully long train journey fly by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Yup, Zelda : LTTP is proving to be absolutely brilliant on the GBA. It's making a painfully long train journey fly by.

It's a great port plus you get the added bonus of Four Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Kinda retro, playing Castlevania Lord of the shadows.
    I'm surprised...It's actually a very nice game, stays kinda true to the original.
    Some of the puzzles really make no sense and the camera can be a load of arse but i'm enjoying it

It's a good game but I'm not sure it stays true to the originals at all. It was never a Castlevania game, it was called Lords of Shadows until near the end Konami decided to slap the name on it. The old CV games for me are all about precision platforming and combat whereas the god of war style is too lose and level design dull (with some horrendous levels like the swamp thrown in as well).

I still really enjoyed it but it just wasn't a vania game for me. At least it wasn't a train wreck like Mirror of Fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Ohh i never knew that it was labeled castlevania at the last moment.
    I suppose I have said its true to its roots is because it really isn't the open world formula crap I was expecting, Its more of an on the rails platformer....not really lose at all I think.
    My only gripe is that the developers through in too many stupid puzzles for no reason.

Still a surprisingly good next gen game methinks and has got me in the mood to play all the retro series again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement