Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So I fired up that Skeleton Krew proto and it seemed to be an early demo version of the game. There were a lot of differences, but mainly colour palette and the music. Turns out you could only play the first little section (there's a door you can't get passed)

I'd assumed that must be it, a highly polished demo - most of which continued into the retail game.

Got a brainwave and decided to enter a cheat code to skip levels - holy crap! Talk about suddenly unlocking everything!

Loads of levels, all with no enemies, unfinished - I'm not familiar enough with the retail game, but had them both going side by side and they looked radically different.

The last level on the proto is a boss battle. You see impact marks hitting the other side of a wall and then it smashes through with a big freaky boss coming through. I've looked at youtube vids and it seems this isn't in the retail release at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

C1ECC5B8-2225-4453-A728-A55E84D1A6E2-597-0000014E3851B2E9_zps1f511855.jpg

4BDCF55E-1655-4F9D-B2D6-AD6915DFE0E7-597-0000014E465C55D3_zps402dcda2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had a strange experience with psyvariar. I 1 credited it on my first go. Can't do it at all after it!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I had a strange experience with psyvariar. I 1 credited it on my first go. Can't do it at all after it!

Fair play to ya. I can safely say I most definately didn't 1 credit it.

Enjoyed playin it though. I do suck at these type of games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My clearing the whole campaign of Wipeout while slightly sloshed at a Gamesworld, I was pretty impressed with myself tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Last night I was hunting for the dog, who had decided to go wandering, as a result my GTA5 time was buggered and all I had time for was some quick blasts of other games on the ps3 dashboard.
    Do I enjoyed some of the original Wipeout, more fun than I remembered, some Wipeout HD, still looks amazing, and Crash Bandicoot, again the original game.
    The latter was the one that surprised me most as I actually enjoyed it.
    Now, the game has a lot more in common now with a IOS game than proper 3d platforming but that's ok, I was only looking for something to occupy my attention for 5 minutes and it hit the spot.

I always liked crash. Can see what you mean though probably does play a little like an iOS game. Never thought of it.

Anyway I was playing rayman for the original playstation last night.

That's not an easy game!! Very enjoyable though.

Two questions.

1. It didn't seem to want to recognize my memory card. Is it because it's being played on my ps 2 and I only have a ps 2 memory card?

2. Out of curiousity are the latter rayman games as difficult. Part of me hopes they are. It's kinda like the donkey kong difficulty. You get pissed off but still wanna keep at it as spoofed to some games that I just don't want to bother with if they're stupidily hard.

Regarding the memory card, the PS2 should just read it like a PS, sounds like it could be corrupted but try cleaning the contacts on the card with some isopropyl alcohol, these cards are getting on a bit!

As for Raymans sequels, until Rayman Origins the series became a 3D platformer, and while some don't like them I think they are spectacular.
    While they do not quite live up to Super Mario 64's standards I do think that the second one is in there.
    It shows that there is another art style, apart from the Rare model where you plant googly eyes on anything and call it a character.
    Plus, the more linear nature of the Rayman 3D games avoids the very tedious collect'em up the Rare games became, ultimately spawning the awful Donkey Kong 3D.
    I had Rayman 2 on the N64 back in the day and loved it, I have it now on the DS and the 3D version on the 3DS, and mighty fine, and cheap, they are!

Rayman on the PS was rock hard, I can imagine lots of younger gamers being seduced by the cartoon visuals only to be smacked about by the unforgiving gameplay, but it is compelling, makes you come back for one more go!

Master of the Universe

You think GTA V featuring animals is kinda cool, more realistic, brings more life to the environment.

Until you run over your first dog that is :( - jeez, I know it's just a rendering of a dog, but that really felt awful. Poor pooch.

Guilt aside, the scale and variety is amazing. Really feels like an updated version of San Andreas. I did one mission last night to get the game rolling and then spent 2.5 hours just driving around admiring the place.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Regarding the memory card, the PS2 should just read it like a PS, sounds like it could be corrupted but try cleaning the contacts on the card with some isopropyl alcohol, these cards are getting on a bit!

As for Raymans sequels, until Rayman Origins the series became a 3D platformer, and while some don't like them I think they are spectacular.
    While they do not quite live up to Super Mario 64's standards I do think that the second one is in there.
    It shows that there is another art style, apart from the Rare model where you plant googly eyes on anything and call it a character.
    Plus, the more linear nature of the Rayman 3D games avoids the very tedious collect'em up the Rare games became, ultimately spawning the awful Donkey Kong 3D.
    I had Rayman 2 on the N64 back in the day and loved it, I have it now on the DS and the 3D version on the 3DS, and mighty fine, and cheap, they are!

Rayman on the PS was rock hard, I can imagine lots of younger gamers being seduced by the cartoon visuals only to be smacked about by the unforgiving gameplay, but it is compelling, makes you come back for one more go!

Will give the memory card another go later. It worked for Tekken so unless theres no memory left on it which I just thought of. Should have been my first thought I suppose but there you go.

I'll definately give the 3d versions a go but I have to say I've always rathered the 2d platformers. Think I'll get Origins for the Vita in the month or so when I've completed other games I have on there at the moment.

Definately seems like a game I could get addicted to. As I say very similar to Donkey kong country. I bought all the ports for the gba there about a year ago and as tough as some of the levels were it just kept you wanting to come back for more!! Gluten for punishment maybe. lol.

• Advertisement

Giving Zone of the Enders on ps2 a go here. Bought it months ago and it got lumped onto the backlog.

It seems like a slow starter learning the ropes so to speak.
    Really wish I could invert the camera on the right analogue stick but other than I'm liking the battle end of it.

The whiny kid is bugging me a bit too but hopefully that'll pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually playing Zone of the Enders 2 HD at the moment - or at least was until GTA. Brilliant artstyle in the game, really convincing mix of anime and cel shading. Gameplay is much better than what I can remember from the first (all those years ago!) - can be hard work on the fingers though! It is a reminder of just how bad videogame voice acting was back in the 2000s :pac:

Also playing Trails in the Sky. It's perfectly serviceable stuff, with a few promising ideas that, around six hours in, haven't quite come into their own yet. Sluggish storytelling too. But there's enough of interest to keep me going, even if it is nowhere near as compelling as a Ys game so far. Music is brilliant, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All your base are belong to Bahram.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never want to hear the word 'Jehuty' after the tutorial level.

Original Japanese voice track should be default on all translate games!

Never want to hear the word 'Jehuty' after the tutorial level.

Original Japanese voice track should be default on all translate games!

Even for Bahram that's too rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

sega megadrive is now back in the attic after going through some reaaly iffy crap
    taz-mania, crash test dummies, judge dreadd land bottom of the table (honourable mention goes to world cup italia 90)

started on my ps1 games today
    die hard trilogy and crash bandiccot still playable as fúck,
    came across a relatively obscure flight sim shooter called warhawk, crazy fun, sci-fi-esque shennaigans with terribly acted live action cut scenes, cheesy as hell but i'm really enjoying it, the level with the floating helicarrier bases in particular. anyone know the game?

Master of the Universe

Switched GTA V on this morning at 11:30am - still playing it now - and I'm still not bored. Could happily go on for the rest of the night if I didn't need to sleep :eek:

There's so much to do in the game it's extremely overwhelming. In a very very good way.

grumula wrote: »

came across a relatively obscure flight sim shooter called warhawk, crazy fun, sci-fi-esque shennaigans with terribly acted live action cut scenes, cheesy as hell but i'm really enjoying it, the level with the floating helicarrier bases in particular. anyone know the game?

Not that obscure, the series continued, in a fashion, on the ps3.
    It's a great game, love the flight/vtol controls, the ground vehicle scenes are poor though.
    I still play my copy now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I've been playing Dungeon Keeper 2.
    Oh how much I love that game :D
    It is kind of weird though listening to "The Mentor" on DK2 after finding out that he is Daddy Pig on Peppa Pig.

I've also been playing Theme Hospital, Constructor and Mob Rule.
    I don't care for Constructor as much as Mob Rule as I find it a bit more annoying unlike Mob Rule where it is relatively easy to look after your tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

Not that obscure, the series continued, in a fashion, on the ps3.
    It's a great game, love the flight/vtol controls, the ground vehicle scenes are poor though.
    I still play my copy now and again.

finished that today, had no idea there were sequels, investigating, cheers!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Feck sake! 12 hours into FF VI and I only now realize you can equip espers. God damn!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Feck sake! 12 hours into FF VI and I only now realize you can equip espers. God damn!

Well I got through the whole of FFVII not knowing I could equip accessories. Thank god the game is a cake walk!

Master of the Universe

Well I got through the whole of FFVII not knowing I could equip accessories. Thank god the game is a cake walk!

Hah! Seriously? What did you think all those bangles were for? Singing Eternal Flame? :D

Took an RPG break and decided to kick the **** out of some punks. Streets of Rage 2, start to finish. Haven't played through the whole thing in a long time. Ciderman would have been proud :D

Hah! Seriously? What did you think all those bangles were for? Singing Eternal Flame? :D

Took an RPG break and decided to kick the **** out of some punks. Streets of Rage 2, start to finish. Haven't played through the whole thing in a long time. Ciderman would have been proud :D

I'm chuffed!

And the Bangles thing, pure comedy gold

Started my usual horror game marathon in October.

Project Zero 2 is the game I picked. It's pants browningly scary, really enjoying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Started my usual horror game marathon in October.

Project Zero 2 is the game I picked. It's pants browningly scary, really enjoying it!

You gotta admit the Japanese do great horror :D
    At the moment I am playing Settlers 2 , 3 and Patrician 3.
    Not too fussed on the Settlers, maybe it will grow on me.
    Patrician 3 is great but it can be hard especially at the start where 1 wrong move could potentially ruin you.

Started playing Far Cry 3 this evening.
    It seems ok, looks lovely.
    I wonder though if it doesn't get a little boring later on.

I think I preferred the art style of the previous game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

It's 8AM now and I think I've had enough KOF 98'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

playing through tombi for the 5th time

game still holds up outstandingly

perhaps the my fav platformer on the ps1

• Advertisement

playing through tombi for the 5th time

game still holds up outstandingly

perhaps the my fav platformer on the ps1

I find it hard to believe you are playing it for the 5th time. That game is like Kula World, everyone loves it yet nobody played the game, only the demo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

airmax87 wrote: »
    It's 8AM now and I think I've had enough KOF 98'.

Legit not possible; fantastically knit bit of game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I find it hard to believe you are playing it for the 5th time. That game is like Kula World, everyone loves it yet nobody played the game, only the demo :)

quite you :L

Ahem, I own that...
    I'm not saying I'm good at it, just that I own it
    Tombi, yes, played that on release but it was viewed as too old school at the time and, to my shame, I never bought it :(
    I might pick it up one of these days

Just had an hour on Outrun 2 on the Xbox, still a fantastic game, although I am torn between it and Outrun 2006 on the PS2/PSP with its whole extra track and extra modes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Mass Effect 3 has awoken my Xbox for a 6 month slumber. 8 hours in and enjoying it so far. No spoilers please :)

• Advertisement

Mass Effect 3 has awoken my Xbox for a 6 month slumber. 8 hours in and enjoying it so far. No spoilers please :)

It's got aliens in it....
    And spaceships....
    And stuff

there, I've said enough....

Mother of Glob!
    Tombi is expensive!
    Tomba, the US version, isn't quite as expensive and the Jap edition is relatively cheap.
    Is the language a barrier in Tombi I wonder?

Mother of Glob!
    Tombi is expensive!
    Tomba, the US version, isn't quite as expensive and the Jap edition is relatively cheap.
    Is the language a barrier in Tombi I wonder?

I think I saw it for a fiver in psn. Might pick it up. Never played it. YouTube clips of it look good though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Fcuk you Capra Demon! Nailed yo' ass! (Eventually) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

[Earthbound] F**k you Casey Bat, f**k you :mad:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    [Earthbound] F**k you Casey Bat, f**k you :mad:

Oh no! You didn't did you?

I made that mistake too. Also fairly sure I hadn't any other weapon to assign. Took me a very long time to get through that dream sequence area!

Oh no! You didn't did you?

I made that mistake too. Also fairly sure I hadn't any other weapon to assign. Took me a very long time to get through that dream sequence area!

F**k, that's exactly where I am actually, & seriously every 9 out of 10 hits are missed because of that bloody bat. I ditched it & found the Magicant Bat, which is less powerful but at least you stand a chance.

The dream sequence in that game I always found really tough. You're nearly at the end!

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    F**k, that's exactly where I am actually, & seriously every 9 out of 10 hits are missed because of that bloody bat. I ditched it & found the Magicant Bat, which is less powerful but at least you stand a chance.

Oh god, the memory of that horror is returning!

I just had to run by as many enemies as I could. Took a few attempts but got there in the end. Really felt like there were millions of enemies there too.

Fun fact, Ness is in his nip during the dream sequence in the Japanese version. Apparently Americans can't handle nude kids in videogames :D

Don't want to spoil the game for anyone who plays it so
    spoiler tags engaged! The whole end of that game where they have to transplant their minds into robots and you end up fighting that weird, fetus creature is one of the freakiest changes of tone in a game I've ever seen. It just goes so dark, so fast!

Finished Earthbound again there, what a beautiful, beautiful little game :cool:

Had another look on the Wii U eShop there...not much Snes stuff at all...do you still have to go into Wii mode to buy the bulk of the content?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

just started new zealand story(japanese version)on mame and only play it by not using warps and rescuing all the kiwi's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Playing Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams on PS3 but take a look at the C64 version :
    http://youtu.be/YMTdr026bZU

returnNull wrote: »
    just started new zealand story(japanese version)on mame and only play it by not using warps and rescuing all the kiwi's.

An example of the rare, hardcore, New Zealand Story player!
    We at Arcade&Retro Towers salute you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just had a shot at Strikers in a crappy little arcade in Calgary Airport. Nearly didn't play it as I thought strikers was a football game, silly me.
    Really enjoyed it but didn't get far but it's been so long since I played a proper arcade machine that I forgot the joys of it. Sadly the machine wasn't all burnt with fags, so it wasn't an authentic Irish Arcade experience. Also there wasn't an old lad playing pacman with a fag hangin' outta his gob.
    By the way I was crap at the game only got as far a second stage with my one credit. Only $50 which was great as that's like 30 cent in the euro money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement