Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Just had a shot at Strikers in a crappy little arcade in Calgary Airport. Nearly didn't play it as I thought strikers was a football game, silly me.
    Really enjoyed it but didn't get far but it's been so long since I played a proper arcade machine that I forgot the joys of it. Sadly the machine wasn't all burnt with fags, so it wasn't an authentic Irish Arcade experience. Also there wasn't an old lad playing pacman with a fag hangin' outta his gob.
    By the way I was crap at the game only got as far a second stage with my one credit. Only $50 which was great as that's like 30 cent in the euro money.

Have you visited head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump yet over there?
    its not so far from Calgary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Steve SI wrote: »
    Have you visited head-smashed-in-buffalo-jump yet over there?
    its not so far from Calgary.

No I haven't. Next up is an ice hockey game, another football game and either a trip to Banff or the dinosaur museum - apparently it's a big one here.
    Then maybe Edmenton as it has an array of retro stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

starting Gregorys horror show later xD, looks fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Flaregon wrote: »
    starting Gregorys horror show later xD, looks fun.

JUDGEMENT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The missus got me a SNES for my birthday, hoorah, Mario for the evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah Gregory Horror Show - amazing presentation, writing and atmosphere, but I recall the gameplay being obtuse and frustrating even by PS2-era survival horror standards!

Playing Pokemon X, my first since Gold. Enjoying it a lot, feels equal parts familiar and new. Some of the new items are lifesavers, like the godsend that is experience sharing items: cannot believe it has taken six main generations of Pokemon games (plus countless spin-offs, remakes etc...) to get that implemented :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm putting a good deal of time into The Last of Us right now, no room for Black Ops 2 or GTAV.
    I'm incredibly impressed with the game, I've played anything as brave in it's story telling and I have a feeling it will be, in this gen, aa important to me as Ico and SotC were in the last.
    I'm about 8 hours in and the story has taken a turn that hits like a freight train, moving, shocking, brilliant.
    David Cage should take note, this is how you do interactive storytelling for grownups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Ah Gregory Horror Show - amazing presentation, writing and atmosphere, but I recall the gameplay being obtuse and frustrating even by PS2-era survival horror standards!

Playing Pokemon X, my first since Gold. Enjoying it a lot, feels equal parts familiar and new. Some of the new items are lifesavers, like the godsend that is experience sharing items: cannot believe it has taken six main generations of Pokemon games (plus countless spin-offs, remakes etc...) to get that implemented :eek:
    moving onto GRiMgRiMoiRe next maybe, looks fun, got lots of new game, maybe xenosaga 2 or harvest moon game cube, maybe I sould clear wind waker.....totally have to get a device to capture game play and get you lot to vote lol.

also the horrror show has so much style, it epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just finished The Last of Us, wow, I really loved it.
    Shook me here and there though and as a dad there was a lot to relate to.

Plus it's the first time I've completed a horror game in October!

Double Plus Good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just finished The Last of Us, wow, I really loved it.
    Shook me here and there though and as a dad there was a lot to relate to.

Plus it's the first time I've completed a horror game in October!

Double Plus Good!

Now, to sell it & use the money to buy The Last of Us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm surprised he managed to finish this one without selling it first :D

I'll probably trade it in now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'll probably trade it in now!

Trade it in for The Last of Us....?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The hell, did Cidey fall outside of our universe between 15:04 and 15:07? :D

That didn't take you long to get through - is it fairly short? (The game that is.)

Still ploughing my way through Dark Souls, done with Blighttown and Sen's Fortress and just moved on to Anor Londo. Playing it most nights which says an awful lot considering how bored I get with most games these days. Fabulous game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Pokemon Green (GB, 1996)

Due to a lack of 3DS, I ain't on the X & Y bandwagon, and in its place, opting to give a crack to what essentially is the beta to the Western releases of Red & Blue (The Japanese Blue, which followed two years after the Japanese Red & Green, in '98, became the template for what we got in 98/99 in US & EU).

Though essentially the same in terms of MO and presentation, it splits a number of differences with its Western counterparts. Most prolific of these is its outright glitchy-ness, and it ain't just a case of Missingno and its ilk. Two examples serving most demonstrative of it:

1. Most famous of which: you can clear the game in less than 20 minutes by exploiting warp glitches present in how the game loads data for an area; absurdly manifested in being entered into the end-game Hall of Fame with no badges or, more bafflingly, Pokemon.

2. By the pressing the 'select' button 3 times on certain menus, you can boost any Pokemon up to Lvl 100 by again exploiting data stored for move, item and evolution values. It comes at the expense of erasing a move; therefore you can have the ridiculous example of a lvl 100 Gyrados with no attacks, having evolved a level 10 Magikarp.

The sprites too got an overhaul in '98, redone from their primitiveness in the JP Red & Green. Though it's evident they're compromised due to the limitations of its system, and their reworking in Blue shows how the team had come to grips with the hardware, the pre-Modernized Japanese vibe they give off adds a brilliant bit of spookiness to game.

Couple of bits I'm looking forward to, namely the original Lavender Town soundtrack, which spawned a Creepy Pasta myth on infant suicides in Japan, and the original outline of Cerulean Cave, though it's less noteworthy, as it got reused and redone in the global release of the FireRed and LeafGreen remakes, instead of the one present in Red/Blue. I'd be further, but restarted from certain points to erase the impact of certain glitches, and to kick-in the now famous Mew-Glitch instead of having to wait 'til getting to Celadon.

Ultimately, it serves a fascinating insight into the development of an auld favourite/dependable, and adds a few new dimensions to what came later, and how it influenced design choices on the series as a whole going forward. Mind, the wife thinks it's pretty condemning of my use of free time when I can play a game in Japanese, despite having none at all, by using an over extensive knowledge of the game's format as cues.

TL;DR: You'd be amazed the lengths a man goes to avoid an essay given his lack of Pokemon X or Y.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That didn't take you long to get through - is it fairly short? (The game that is.)

Last of Us isn't much longer than a dozen hours long - in fact, I'd even argue they could have stripped back some of the more repetitive combat sections for an even leaner, pacier experience.

I had few very qualms with The Last of Us in terms of storytelling, but I would like to see Naughty Dog push their gameplay in more interesting directions next time. It's undoubtedly a step up from Uncharted, but I'd like to see them experiment more with mechanics rather than just refining the ones they have.

It isn't a terribly long game but it is probably one of the best stories/games I've ever played.
    Yes, the actual meat on the bones of the game is slight at times but it's so well done, beautiful, moving, a must play for everyone.
    Easily as essential as OoT or Mario 64, I loved it that much.
    I can see them writing other stories within the world they have created, or rather that they have ruined, hopefully they can resist the temptation to try and make a direct sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Currently playing crusader Kings on Pc and honestly do not know what to make of it. You are basically thrown into the game with no tutorial and have to figure it out on your own... which is good and well not so good either. I am currently lost so I have to google how to play xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ikaruga in the cube. Trying to get them blasted chains together.

Unforeseen effects of playing Dark Souls - my 3 yr old was playing some Avengers flash game on a laptop and asks me "dad, where's the bonfire in this game?". :pac:

• Advertisement

Now I know where that cap is.....

Brilliant!
    I can see Zelda fans from all over the globe getting their photo taken in front of it!

Managed a little time with ESP Ra. De. tonight, the shopping mall boss is tricky as his health decreases so slowly. Although it could be that I'm doing something wrong. That FrancoB headphone jack is brilliant, so handy for when everyone else is asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Not AA5 That's for sure

Sod you capcom and Nintendo

Wow, Nintendo screws European fans, never saw that one coming....

Getting stuck into Espgaluda.
    great game.Less stressful than Ibara thats for sure!
    might have to add it to the collection at some stage!

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Managed a little time with ESP Ra. De. tonight, the shopping mall boss is tricky as his health decreases so slowly. Although it could be that I'm doing something wrong. That FrancoB headphone jack is brilliant, so handy for when everyone else is asleep.

Those headphone jacks are a feckin godsend. I've another one after arriving from FrancoB on Monday.

It's one of the fancy auto switching ones with a button plug. Really can't wait to set it up.

urbanledge wrote: »
    Getting stuck into Espgaluda.
    great game.Less stressful than Ibara thats for sure!
    might have to add it to the collection at some stage!

Aye, I've heard it's more of a beginner shmup, have never played it myself. Might be good for a 1cc attempt.

By the way, do you find that many shmups come across as (dare I say it) 'easy' after playing Ibara for extended sessions?

I 1 cced the first 5 stages of XII Stag on my first attempt the other day. Never played it before. I'd been playing Ibara non stop before hand.

However, I have noticed something - I haven't been able to repeat that first attempt again. It's like Ibara boosts your shmups skills temporarily while you're playing and a little afterwards, but as soon as you stop, they begin to fade :*(

Ibara should be a Pokemon card perhaps, an attack boost!

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's one of the fancy auto switching ones with a button plug.

Yep that's the one. Automatically mutes the cab speakers when you plug it in and vice versa when plugged out. Buttons 4, 5 and 6 on my cab were plugged anyway so I just put the jack+cover in button 4 position. It's very neat when not in use as you can see from the first pic. Looks like the connection sticks up quite a bit in the second pic but it sits between my thumb and index finger so I never know it's there when playing. Originally had it at button 6 position but it was getting in the way.

q168lE8.jpg

That piece sitting between the headphone connection and the button cover jack is needed to get the mono sound coming out both earpieces, rather than just one. Or that's how it works on mine anyway. :)

qcODdAC.jpg

Actually, that reminds me, I need to get onto Spectre over on AO about a move strip. :o

Master of the Universe

Nice photos! :cool: It really sits well on your CP.

That's strange that you need to split out the mono sound, on the first one he sent me (the one with the manual switch) I get mono sound split out into each headphone speaker straight from the cable.

• Advertisement

That's strange that you need to split out the mono sound, on the first one he sent me (the one with the manual switch) I get mono sound split out into each headphone speaker straight from the cable.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what happens with mine, unless it's just the connection on my headphones that's funny, either way I just always use it as above. The headphones fold up and fit inside the coin box for storage. :D

Here's some pics of how it works on the inside for anyone interested.

Jamma pass-through with soldered wires (black/white/red) sits between cab harness and pcb (forgot to take off the pcb feet now I have the holder):

pyRUUVP.jpg

Black/white/red wiring comes up and into the underside of the button plug:

b1Ee9EY.jpg

Master of the Universe

Wow, that's a really neat setup. Makes my one look archaic :pac:

DSC_0211-2_zps200805ad.jpg

DSC_0215-1_zps0c018031.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Was back at the cabs today for the first time in months, PGM mobo in the Aero and changing the four shmup carts fiercely as if it was a console :pac:

Got some good scores right of the bat :P
    DSCF6112.jpg

Master of the Universe

Those flyers really make use of every inch of that marquee, looks really great.

When I read your post in work it inspired me to dig out the PGM Mobo this evening and fire up The Gladiator. Haven't really given it a proper go after picking it up a couple of months ago.

I've heard great things, but didn't think it would be this great. Absolutely stunning game. Criminally overlooked! I've a real soft spot for side scrolling beat em ups and this is by far one of the best I've ever played.

The animation is absolutely gorgeous. As are all the effects and character designs. By far the highest standard I've seen on the system.

Music is also of crazy high quality. And to top it all off, the move list in it feels vast. Plays like a fighter. You can pull off crazy combos.

It seems to have an XP/leveling up system too. I'd say playing it four player is mental fun.

The Gladiator is stunning, it's the one cart I still want for PGM .

Master of the Universe

Definitely one worth picking up alright. It's really amazing how powerful that little PGM Mobo is. Not nearly enough high quality games to show the system off (Not counting those dodgy Cave boolegs of course! :P)

I'd been after it for a while but it's usually quite expensive. Managed to get it for a really reasonable price from that alberto1225 chap over on AO. Actually I also picked up Dinorex in that same transaction - but the less said about that the better :D

Actually I also picked up Dinorex in that same transaction - but the less said about that the better :D

You never posted up pics of that did you, even the board like? You can keep the audio/video clips to yourself though. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Haha! You're right, I was trying to shield you all from the horror :pac:

I only booted it up the one time to make sure it was working (and lower the bloody volume down, I swear, people do that on purpose!)

Here she is in all her glory. The PCB itself does a great job of masking the utter disgrace which lies within.

DSC_0479_zps5287a57e.jpg

Not sure if I photoed these.

The loveliness that is The Gladiator

DSC_0483_zpsae54756f.jpg

GNET collection. Just need a couple more and I'm happy.

DSC_0489_zps1b8eb6f7.jpg

Here's a shot of what you need to contend with when mounting PCBs in the Pony. That feckin control panel! :D

DSC_0486_zpsd85be95f.jpg

Speaking of which, I really need to get a rubber covering for the kick panel.

Lovely looking control panel that. What's the skinny silver thing over to the right? Coin return button or something?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yep, nice big coin return button on a tough spring. The coin slot is fairly unique in itself, cast metal kind of mimicking the Jaleco logo.

[IMG][/img]DSC_0008_zps29dcee52.jpg

Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, a lot more difficult than I remember !!

Controls are very loose and death comes quickly.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

eddhorse wrote: »
    Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, a lot more difficult than I remember !!

Controls are very loose and death comes quickly.... :(

I love the series. I bought the gba ports a few years ago. Played the hell out of them. Can be frustrating but not to the point of giving up imo.

Retr0 will be along soon, he can't resist trolling at any mention of DKC

Master of the Universe

Had a great gaming session last night. Spent three hours with FF VI and another three with GTA V.

I'm about 16 hours into FF VI now. Am off work for a week so reckon I should get through it over the next few days.

Passed the 50% point in GTA V. The variety and imagination in the missions in this game are brilliant. Every mission/heist feels like it's really well thought out and designed. All of them are unique.

It's a long way from GTA IV where it felt like you were doing the same thing over and over again.

I stole a big passenger plane on the airport, landed it on the free way creating massive traffic havoc nad left the burning and broken plane in one piece casually walking away, it was beautiful :D

• Advertisement

I love the series. I bought the gba ports a few years ago. Played the hell out of them. Can be frustrating but not to the point of giving up imo.

Got about 20% done on the first go, I can see why DKC could frustrate some people alright. Music was getting to me a bit.

I just finished BLOPS on the PS3, it was.... interesting, I suppose.
    Not much too it and definitely asks very little of the player, and now I have to play BLOPS 2 on the WiiU, well, I don't have to but seeing as I have it I might as well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I ran through the series for the first time about 2 years ago, and whilst coming out of it with fond memories, they inconsistency in the difficulty, and just how borked that difficulty can get sometimes is somewhat lamentable.

Did, however segue, beautifully into Donkey Kong Country Returns, which is probably the best entry in the series; shockingly hard, at times, but it is always your fault.
    Retr0 will be along soon, he can't resist trolling at any mention of DKC

We should get a siren that laboriously wails out 'reeeeeeeeeeeee-tro......reeeeeeeee-tro' like an Order of Malta van whenever such opinions arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Been playing Super Metriod and Super Mario World again

two games that will stand the test of time

Super Metroid is pretty brilliant, although the subtitles in the Pal version really annoy.
    I might buy an Ntsc copy, presumably we aren't cursed with them there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement