Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's nothing special you have to do to get the true ending of Persona 4. It's just a few decisions you have to make right before the end. It's actually really badly designed so it's worth checking out a faq to make sure you are doing it right.

I was trying to get it without using a faq as I had a fair idea what to do after the first playthrough but when I got to the section I accidently saved so I passed the location where I needed to make the descisions. Have since looked at a faq so next time I'll get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just finished the main game of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Did it on multiplayer too, which is fantastic in terms 'wanna know how you make this harder?'. Wrapping up the KONG collection for the secret world now, where the game just gets diabolical in its commitment ask.

Also have Super Metroid and Super Mario Bros 2 on the VC. The former being the a slightly uprigged PAL conversion, which will have to be lived with, and the latter suffering from the same emulating issues it always does, that being the controls are so slippy.

In the same general area, those GBA titles on the Wii-U pad seem to look and play well, from all evidence. Might give Mario & Luigi a go in the near future; I already own most of their other offerings on the native hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M2 is handling the gba emulation on the wiiu so you can expect good things from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

pdbhp wrote: »
    Been playing through some Zelda games lately.Am about half way through the Wind Waker HD really loving the update, has to be one of the best looking games ever.

Also playing through Phantom Hourglass which is another gem of a game though the touch screen controls can sometimes be annoying.

Playing through my favourite Zelda game aswell, Links Awakening, it is a long time since I finished it as a kid so it's like playing it for the first time again.

Gave up on Persona 4 for while as I've played through twice and haven't got the true ending yet and sunk nearly 90 hours into it so far.

I just got the last sea chart in Phantom Hourglass, it's good fun but having to go through parts of the main temple repeatedly is a bit annoying. I initially thought I'd ****ed up and hadn't triggered a warp point the first time I had to redo a bit of the main temple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Hello_MrFox

Anyone playing the Dreamcast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Keep meaning to get back playing the DC. It's a bit pedantic but I tend not to play it all that much just because it's just so loud when reading disks..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played a spot of Under Defeat recently, pretty brilliant and an incredible example of what a DC can do.
    Metropolis Street Racer is still a favourite of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

MSR is great on the DC. Same guys that did the PGR series isn't it?

Just finished puppeteer on the PS3. Really lovely game and not really that long so great for pick up and play-ability.

I've an N64 game en route to me which I'll be getting stuck into that next and then I'm going back to finish okami!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got to the inverted castle in SOTN on Friday evening. Spent all of yesterday playing it. Wanted to get through the whole thing in one go but in the end, bedtime was calling :(

Anyway, I wasn't really sure what to expect - holy ****, it's basically a second game! :eek:

The whole castle is even populated with completely new enemies and bosses.

It's mind blowing that such a huge chunk of the game is left to a fairly obscure bit of puzzle solving. I can't imagine many people through it on the game's original release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did you figure out how to do it yourself or did you need a guide? No spoilers please as Ive avoided them for many years now. Should I just look up the bare minimum on how to get there or can it be done blind? I generally clear every single room of any Castlevania game I play and SotN is one of my all time favorite games Ive just never been to the IC. Planning on doing it next when I finish off a few 360 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Struggling to get into SOTN despite all the praise. It just doesnt look right to me on my 40". I tried it again recently after playing super metroid on wii u gamepad which I loved but still no. Maybe if I could play it on a handheld!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

sweetie wrote: »
    Maybe if I could play it on a handheld!

Get a small crt tv if you can :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Struggling to get into SOTN despite all the praise. It just doesnt look right to me on my 40". I tried it again recently after playing super metroid on wii u gamepad which I loved but still no. Maybe if I could play it on a handheld!

It's included as a bonus unlockable (!) with the PSP Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles release if I remember correctly. And there's always the 360 version if you're not playing that.

Master of the Universe

Thargor wrote: »
    Did you figure out how to do it yourself or did you need a guide? No spoilers please as Ive avoided them for many years now. Should I just look up the bare minimum on how to get there or can it be done blind? I generally clear every single room of any Castlevania game I play and SotN is one of my all time favorite games Ive just never been to the IC. Planning on doing it next when I finish off a few 360 games.

I only ever had one hint - Retr0 saying 'make sure you get the holy glasses before finishing the game!'

So basically explore till your heart's content, try out a few things and you'll get there in the end. The thing is to make sure you don't finish the game before getting those glasses. They're awkward enough to get, you need a combination of loads of other items etc. But you'll get it all via exploring.

At the moment I'm playing it on a 14" CRT through RGB and it looks gorgeous. :)

Should look lovely on any CRT. LCDs/plasmas on the other hand will be a mess. Wouldn't do the artwork justice.

As to my own progress, I'm at the real last boss now. Really don't want it to end. I'm 188% complete so I guess I could mooch around for another bit longer...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thargor wrote: »

If you want to figure it out yourself then the one tip I'll give is to read all the item descriptions. The clue to doing it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Just completed final fight II, and now I'm playing final fight III.
    Shame there's no Maki. :^)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

It's included as a bonus unlockable (!) with the PSP Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles release if I remember correctly. And there's always the 360 version if you're not playing that.

that's (360) what i'm playing it on. will consider other options thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Anyone playing the Dreamcast?

I would be if the GD drive wasnt busted.

Master of the Universe

I got my hands on that Famicom Hudson controller yesterday evening - it's bloody lovely!

It's like they addressed all of the Famicom controller niggles.

One issue at the moment - for some bizarre reason, the Famicom Everdrive doesn't support the expansion port in it's menu. So to select a game I've to use the standard controller and then switch over to the new one in game.

I think this may have been addressed in a new firmware update.

Anyway, had a good blast of games last night (now that I can sit on my couch and am not huddled in front of the TV!)

It's really great playing the original Castlevania after spending so much time with SOTN. It's a franchise I didn't pay too much attention to until the DS versions, so still have a bit of catching up to do.

The original Castlevania might be a bit twee but once you get into it you realise that it's one of the best and most tightly designed games ever made.

The art work has so much attention to detail, there's no walkway in the game that is floating in mid air they are all supported someway.

I think the third Castlevania is the best and the famicom version has the benefit of having much better sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I would be if the GD drive wasnt busted.

What's wrong with it?

MrVestek wrote: »
    What's wrong with it?

I have not looked in a while but I am sure it can not read discs, I will try realigning the laser but finding time is the problem.

The original Castlevania might be a bit twee but once you get into it you realise that it's one of the best and most tightly designed games ever made.

The art work has so much attention to detail, there's no walkway in the game that is floating in mid air they are all supported someway.

I think the third Castlevania is the best and the famicom version has the benefit of having much better sound.

Well, the way I look at it is, when you see a floating platform in 2D games its because they are attached to an invisible wall thats right in front of the camera although 3d games would prove this theory wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think you might be all asking a lot from a genre with conceits like being able to double jump and pipes in the ground that take you to sewers that aren't full of sh1te and used prophylactics.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think you might be all asking a lot from a genre with conceits like being able to double jump and pipes in the ground that take you to sewers that aren't full of sh1te and used prophylactics.

Yeah how come the Mushroom kingdoms sewer network is so large yet non fuctional??????......:D

Master of the Universe

Finished SOTN this evening. Most of all, I will miss the dodgy voice acting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah how come the Mushroom kingdoms sewer network is so large yet non fuctional??????......:D

That's why you never see Mario doing any plumbing, if he did, the pipes would get clogged with sh*t!:pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Finished SOTN this evening. Most of all, I will miss the dodgy voice acting :D

Die monster, you don't belong in this world!

Die monster, you don't belong in this world!

Sorry, nothing trumps the voice acting in Resident Evil, "No, don't open that door!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sorry, nothing trumps the voice acting in Resident Evil, "No, don't open that door!"

Mmm, Jill sandwich...

Mmm, Jill sandwich...

Look Jill.... blood....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well I think House of the Dead 2 is a head of it, Dodgey American accents done by Australians and its all so forced.."We are meeting G.......over...there." and "my friends went inside, I told them not tot go." the guy delivering this line sounds like he just doesnt care if his friends are dead or not.

Jesus they can't even pronounce genome correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Metroid Fusion...

You never forget that first SA-X encounter

• Advertisement

Just had a little time with the Gamesroom,
    Got some Robbit Mon Dieu, Jumping Flash 3, in and very good it is too.
    Also popped on some Raiden DX, yum, and some Tempest 2000.

Is Jumping Flash 3 that good? I heard a few of the HG101 guys saying it wasn't great.

Well, if you had dragged your backside to the Beers you might have found out!
    But, yes, it's pretty nice.
    The visuals are updated a bit but still look like first gen PS visuals and the jumping mechanics are the same.
    It's more mission based though, more Like Katamari Damacy in that regard.
    And it's not expensive either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Playing neo turf masters on ngpc out in my back garden drinkin a pear cider.

The screen looks soooo good in the sun.

life is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Currently on Metroid binge still...just about finished Fusion and starting off the Super Metroid Redesigned romhack, which looks superb so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Playing neo turf masters on ngpc out in my back garden drinkin a pear cider.

The screen looks soooo good in the sun.

life is good
    God that sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I would be playing mark of the wolves right now if it weren't for UPC's horrible set top box's router interface webapp thing, I cant figure out how to forward ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Playing through Dark Cloud at the moment, still loving it as much as I did when I first played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Just finished Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, not sure that counts as retro for this thread :-) Really enjoyed it though.

Just finished Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, not sure that counts as retro for this thread :-) Really enjoyed it though.

Oh, indeed it does, the more the merrier in these parts!

Master of the Universe

Was flicking through snes carts this evening and found one Ive never played before -Robocop 3.

Holy Jaysus, whoever created this game was a sadist. Limited ammo (if you run out you're fecked)

you can actually accidentally destroy your power ups by shooting them. (not something which ties in very well with the above mentioned ammo limitation.

Hats off to anyone can complete the game. I could barely get passed the first level.

Oh and there are no checkpoints. Run out of bullets and die on the boss did you? Back to the start you go.

Next up I tried out Contra Shattered Soldier for the first time - which seemed easy in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Was flicking through snes carts this evening and found one Ive never played before -Robocop 3.

Holy Jaysus, whoever created this game was a sadist. Limited ammo (if you run out you're fecked)

you can actually accidentally destroy your power ups by shooting them. (not something which ties in very well with the above mentioned ammo limitation.

Hats off to anyone can complete the game. I could barely get passed the first level.

Oh and there are no checkpoints. Run out of bullets and die on the boss did you? Back to the start you go.

Next up I tried out Contra Shattered Soldier for the first time - which seemed easy in comparison!

I was having a quick go of Robocop 1 earlier today, Robocop seemed a lot tougher in the movies... I was taken out by Alsatians more than once.

Try going for the true ending. It's a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Right, I'm going to try and pass a Zelda title and that means doing something I've never actually done before. I'm going to try and not stop playing Zelda after a few hours, which happened to Link to The Past, one of the GameBoy ones, Ocarina and Majora Mask.
    I got the new 3DS just the other day from cex after trading in a few tesco titles.
    I think I actually like it, might be just that its a handheld title and I tend to stick at them for longer, even the gameboy one was only dropped after I got stuck.

Has any one else finished this one yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Right, I'm going to try and pass a Zelda title and that means doing something I've never actually done before. I'm going to try and not stop playing Zelda after a few hours, which happened to Link to The Past, one of the GameBoy ones, Ocarina and Majora Mask.
    I got the new 3DS just the other day from cex after trading in a few tesco titles.
    I think I actually like it, might be just that its a handheld title and I tend to stick at them for longer, even the gameboy one was only dropped after I got stuck.

Has any one else finished this one yet?

A link between worlds? Oh yeah its a quality title, best of luck in finishing one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement