Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Join the recent PVM/BVM craze we're having here :)

Kerb is gonna pay for not offering it to me first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Despite the amazing quality, those little PVM's (9" are they?) just seem far too small to be of any use for gaming. The larger 20" or so, now that's more like it...but dat price!

Ah yeah, 9 inches is just a novelty really (oooh errrr!).

The 20 inch ones are a great size... definitely a pain in the hoop to hunt down though! I didn't realize how heavy they were until lifting my one up the stairs. Can see now why postage is so crazy.

There has to be a cache of them in Ireland somewhere...
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Kerb is gonna pay for not offering it to me first!

I plan on riddling it with Streets of Rage and Golden Axe too. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I plan on riddling it with Streets of Rage and Golden Axe too. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

PS1 emulation is utter cack. Been setting up the PS1 part of Hyperspin on the bartop the last while, it's a mess of plugins, custom shaders, & just bad emulation :(

A PS, an SD loader, a hacked couple of pads and a decent CRT, put it all into a cab and your laughing.
    Perhaps when the PSIO project reaches fruition it'll be a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A PS, an SD loader, a hacked couple of pads and a decent CRT, put it all into a cab and your laughing.
    Perhaps when the PSIO project reaches fruition it'll be a runner.

Yeah I won't lose any sleep over the emulation, I've a couple of PS1's anyway & a modded one so I won't be stuck. It just struck me because I hadn't touched PS1 emulation for years so I 'd hoped it had improved somewhat. It works like, but it's so far removed from what playing a ps1 is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

I played Metro 20somethingorother last night. Looks alright but I still don't like FPS games. :(

If I ever leave the office tonight I think a quick blast of Saidaioujou will help steady the nerves and prove a refreshing tonic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Watching the missus play Zelda LTTP on the SNES, good times Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Was upstairs lookin for screwdrivers an the young lad spotted the bongos for donkey konga on gamecube. 'whats that dad?'
    Been playin it since about 11 this mornin, deadly craic! The whole clapping thing is good fun too

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Was upstairs lookin for screwdrivers an the young lad spotted the bongos for donkey konga on gamecube. 'whats that dad?'
    Been playin it since about 11 this mornin, deadly craic! The whole clapping thing is good fun too

Really enjoyed Jungle Beat, my hands were worn out playing that when it was released... Remembering it makes me want to dig out the bongos for a game myself.

Been playing Rockman 2 today and getting nowhere... I've always been rubbish at Mega Man games... is it cheating to look up the boss order or should I be figuring it out somehow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Best to figure it out. It's much more interesting that way.

Master of the Universe

Definitely. Sure that's half the fun!

You guys are right of course... damn my lack of skilz :-(

Master of the Universe

Just keep the hell away from Heat Man for a while! :D

I usually go Woodman, Bubble Man, Metal Man when I'm starting off. Fairly easy to get out of the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I usually go metal man first. His weapon is the best in the game.

Master of the Universe

Yeah it kicks ass, love the sound of it too!

Finally bothered to soft mod my Wii today. Reason being to make the poor sod region free. Took a while to do but sorted now.

Played a few of my NTSC-J discs today, seeing as it's been a miserable day outside. Also I played Mario Galaxy 2 today for the first time (never played the first one). What a game. Very intuitive controls and VERY immersive. I like!

The Galaxy games are pretty amazing.
    The second one is only slightly touch like a mission pack for the original although the volume of cool ideas throughout makes it amazing.
    So good.
    I'd love to have seen them get a 3D sequel in the 3DS, not instead of 3D Land you understand, I'm sure the world is big enough for both, together with the NSMB series and Paper Mario series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just played the first hour of Tearaway. I'm going to come right out and say it: it's great. Like, Nintendo great. I am actually in slight awe of the level of imagination and ingenuity on display.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I just played the first hour of Tearaway. I'm going to come right out and say it: it's great. Like, Nintendo great. I am actually in slight awe of the level of imagination and ingenuity on display.

It gets better as you go on too. Superb game.

Yup, a staggeringly good game that.
    I finished it a few months ago, my son is playing it now and loving it.

Still tipping away at crash bandicoot. Not sure why because its not a great game. I think it's because despite the level design being not up to scratch the controls are pretty tight.

Playing Super Mario 3D Land with the hope of finishing it soon.
    I will feel less guilty buying Kirby at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Got a few on the go at the minute, really need to pick one and finish it.

Borderlands - XB360 (never played this series before)
    Enslaved - XB360
    Who framed roger rabbit - Gameboy

That's crash out of the way 100% complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's crash out of the way 100% complete.

The trilogy or the first one?

I took a break from it a while back on the second island. I'll save the game for when I'm in the mood for it, been distracted with the wii and ipad this weekend.

Got the six axis controller working with the ipad so I'm stoked!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

Sonic 2 on the MegaDrive. Classic game!

waveform wrote: »
    The trilogy or the first one?

Just the first game. I'll go on to 2 down the line. As far as I can remember its more of the same. I'm looking forward to playing 3 again.

Spent an hour in the company of Dragons Crown and had a lot of fun with it.
    The art style is lovely, apart from the boobies, which means my wife and son must never ever see it.

The art style is lovely, apart from the boobies, which means my wife and son must never ever see it.

:O

It gets much better once you reach the halfway mark and have to go through the levels again. Now backtracking doesn't sound like fun but Dragon's Crown opens up alternative routes and you can do survival runs as well which are great fun.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Dragons Crown is just Golden Axe with leveling up.

Dragons Crown is just Golden Axe with leveling up.

Get out of here! Golden Axe is as basic as they come. Even Double Dragon had a bit more nuance.

Dragon's Crown allows me to throw people as a dwarf and therefore wins.

(Golden Axe : Revenge of Death=Adder lets me be a dwarf version of Master Blaster so therefore it wins.

Master of the Universe

Get out of here! Golden Axe is as basic as they come. Even Double Dragon had a bit more nuance.

Dragon's Crown allows me to throw people as a dwarf and therefore wins.

(Golden Axe : Revenge of Death=Adder lets me be a dwarf version of Master Blaster so therefore it wins.

Can I not troll Ciderman in peace? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Getting really stuck into FFX on the Vita. It's a great port, looks brilliant and plays really well. Totally has me reassessing my opinion of the game which I didn't like when it originally came out because it wasn't more of FFIX, a few years later and I'm able to enjoy it for what it is. I might even give FFX-2 a go after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Playing a bit of "House of the dead" on the Saturn at the mo, light gun works great with the Trinitron :)

Master of the Universe

House of the Dead 2 was the one reason I almost hung onto that TV. It looks gorgeous on it.

Started Shenmue this evening. I've already developed a capsule toy addiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Wait till ya get to the arcade and spend time playing hang on and space harrier.
    I just spent my time collecting toys and in the arcade..back to bed...F**king horrible alarm clock or phone rings and back to it.
    What a game

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

The voice acting was a big reason I never got into FFX. I've played very few rpg's after the ps1 era actually, voice acting probably being one of the main reasons. Listening to the game in japanese with english subs I find is the only way to get around those grating pubecent american teen voices that litter the ps2 era jrpgs!

FFX has some of the best voice actors around working on it. The problem was the god awful script, there's only so much you can do with bad writing.

Started a new file in A Link To The Past last night. Have a huge pile of games that I haven't played sitting there waiting to go and have cleared ALTTP God knows how many times... Always calls me back though. Playing it is like a warm blanket.

• Advertisement

Just spent some time there on Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.

My God.

It's....it's......IT'S JUST BRILLIANT.

What a game.

Can't go wrong with that. AWESOME TUNE featured in an AWESOME GAME. :)

Chuck on the assists for proper 'wuss mode' and it feels proper arcade style. Juicy visuals, great gungho storyline oh and the opening credits helicopter mission is just oodles of fun.

Get the limited edition as it has a cracking orchestral OST CD packed in and some weird notebook thing.

Top game. Top series. :)

If you fail the qte he punches himself in the face.

See now that's just quality. Why aren't more games like that?

If only it did happen :) Looks like a fun dumb shooter. I hope the story is as much nonsense as previous games, loved the melodrama.

€8.00 in CeX it's saying on their website. I got the Limited Edition one on release for about £11 I think. Worth buying it new, especially for the OST CD as it's very enjoyable to listen to on a booming Hi Fi rig or on the move.

An overlooked/underrated gem? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

House of the dead 2 - even better then the first one :)

Got Princess Crown onto the PSP Go, turns out I was trying to install the Saturn ISO all afternoon... :( Muppet....
    Now to figure out whats going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

House of the dead 2 - even better then the first one :)

I must give that a proper play through on the Bartop one of these days.

Advertisement